Passport

Doncin

6 hours ago, zeroed said:

Then there’s getting you to an airport capable of getting you to the US, etc. 

The cruise line has a port agent whose job is to help passengers. They will contact the embassy.  Whether you have a passport or not you will need assistance. Passengers have been evacuated at Labadee. There is an airport at Cap Haiten. 

For DH and me, it's just about having a passport.  If you have a valid passport, you have freedom to travel to more destinations, there are fewer restrictions on how you travel to get there, and you can travel on the spur of the moment.  You can be spontaneous.

When I was a teenager (many many years ago!) my top two aspirations were to get a drivers license and a passport as I thought they would open the world for me.  I got both.  I still have both and keep them current.  I can use either or both whenever I want.  They did open the world.  

59 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The cruise line has a port agent whose job is to help passengers. They will contact the embassy.  Whether you have a passport or not you will need assistance. Passengers have been evacuated at Labadee. There is an airport at Cap Haiten. 

So, does that mean people should not take their passport with them at ports of call?  Do you trust that the cruise ship will not leave the pier before they know about your emergency situation and your passport is in the cabin safe?  Do you trust the Haitian agent, the Haitian government, the U.S. Government with your life and/or limb? 

You know, chances are that things may go exactly or close to it as you would like.  But, take the unknow out of it, take your passport.  One misstep by any of the agencies involved could cost you a lot. 

I just think (meaning it's my opinion) that taking your passport with you is sound advice and some less informed folks may not know the ramifications of not having it with you.  However, if you think you can live without it, leave it.  It's an individual decision, for the most part.  And just for the record, the State Department suggests taking it with you also.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/before-you-go/travelers-with-special-considerations/cruise-ship-passengers.html

"Unexpected circumstances can come up that make it impossible to return to the United States on the cruise ship. Here are some examples:

1. Illness or Injury – Depending on the severity of your illness or injury, you may have to be admitted to a local hospital overseas. If you cannot be discharged before the cruise ship is scheduled to depart, the cruise ship may leave without you. In this case, you would need a U.S. passport to fly home upon clearance from your doctor.
  2. Damage to cruise ship – Occasionally cruise ships are damaged or have mechanical issues that cannot be fixed during your trip. In these cases, you might need to go ashore in a country which requires a passport and/or you would need a U.S passport book to fly home".

Edited by Ret MP

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:
1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

So, does that mean people should not take their passport with them at ports of call?  Do you trust that the cruise ship will not leave the pier before they know about your emergency situation and your passport is in the cabin safe?  Do you trust the Haitian agent, the Haitian government, the U.S. Government with your life and/or limb? 

People should have a passport. I would never tell them not to. I never take it out of my cabin safe and to be sure I don’t take it ashore at Labadee. But to each their own decision on that. I do trust Royal at Labadee as it is a private enclave. I have been there about ten times. I have been on over 70 sailings and recognize most of your blah, blah, blah fears are nonsense. 

Edited by Charles4515

9 hours ago, zeroed said:

Get a passport. 

always be careful in foreign countries. Some despise Americans

A passport is a totally unnecessary expense for a one-off cruise (I assume that is the situation with the OP). 

And yes, don't go on a cruise or an international trip because you will be attacked by the locals who despise you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

A passport is a totally unnecessary expense for a one-off cruise (I assume that is the situation with the OP). 

And yes, don't go on a cruise or an international trip because you will be attacked by the locals who despise you. 

Well,  often that "one off" cruise becomes an addiction to crusing and then it's worth it to have that passport. 

My opinion?  If you can get the passport before your date of travel- just get it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

People should have a passport. I would never tell them not to. I never take it out of my cabin safe and to be sure I don’t take it ashore at Labadee. But to each their own decision on that. I do trust Royal at Labadee as it is a private enclave. I have been there about ten times. I have been on over 70 sailings and recognize most of your blah, blah, blah fears are nonsense. 

I'm not limiting my suggestion to just Labadee, you seem to be.  I'm not excluding any port of call.  I've been to Labadee several times too.  I've never been emergency evac'ed either, thankfully.  In fact, I've never been emergency evac'ed as a civilian.  BTW, fear doesn't enter into it.  I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen as recommended by just about every fire department and home insurance company in the country.  I wear seatbelts.  I carry my Medicare and retired Military ID everywhere I go. Doesn't mean I live in fear.  So, I call BS on that comment and I think you know better.

But, you are right, "each to their own".  

57 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm not limiting my suggestion to just Labadee, you seem to be.  I'm not excluding any port of call.  I've been to Labadee several times too.  I've never been emergency evac'ed either, thankfully.  In fact, I've never been emergency evac'ed as a civilian.  BTW, fear doesn't enter into it.  I have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen as recommended by just about every fire department and home insurance company in the country.  I wear seatbelts.  I carry my Medicare and retired Military ID everywhere I go. Doesn't mean I live in fear.  So, I call BS on that comment and I think you know better.

I am not limiting to Labadee either.  Some say to always carry it on person and others say leave it locked up. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but most travel books and websites say to keep it locked up when not in use  I have been to many ports and I have traveled extensively by land. I have traveled solo to Mexico, Central America  Europe, etc. I have taken the same buses, trains, subways that local people take even in poor countries.  I always leave my passport locked in a hotel safe  if I don't need you use it iif there is a safe except in Russia where you are required to have it on person. Never happened to me but I have  traveled with people who had their passport stolen, it was stolen because they were carrying it.  If they had left it at the hotel  like I had it would not have been stolen.(pickpockets are expert at it in Europe.)  It was stressful but they were not stuck. They got an emergency passport. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Haha 1