Corner Brook, Sydney, Halifax - Have Excursion Questions!

Texas Duck

15 minutes ago, joyandjerry said:

Thanks for the info - I realize they are in opposite directions.

I lived in Sydney for a few years.... Baddeck and AGB Museum are good, but I'd recommend Fortress of Louisbourg as a better use of your time in Cape Breton.

2 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I lived in Sydney for a few years.... Baddeck and AGB Museum are good, but I'd recommend Fortress of Louisbourg as a better use of your time in Cape Breton.

Thank you - we really enjoy fortresses and loved the Citadel in Halifax. The tour group suggested has to have a minimum number of participants, as many do. Prior to COVID, at many ports, tours would be sold by locals upon exiting the gates. In a city like Boston where we could take public trans anywhere, we would venture out on our own. CCL has a tour that includes the fort, albeit a much shorter time there than we would like. Whatever the recommended time for a site is, we double it! Although on some of the other CCL cruises, we had some excellent tours that were not rushed and had small groups in Bermuda and others.

I just love Canada (and many of your TV series!). Most of it is not very touristy and the citizens are so polite and helpful.

Edited by joyandjerry

3 hours ago, jdavid said:

The Fortress and the Bell Museum are in two different directions so you should pick one or the other. I can check with a friend who lives in the area to see if they will give you a privately guided tour. Email me at jimdavid224 at gmail dot com

Just happen to see your post, starting to look at excursions. We like to take local tours instead of ships tours. Jim there are 6 of us going on HAL Zaandam scheduled to be in Halifax on Sept 16, 2023,Arrives 8 departs 6 so plenty of time. I'll email you. Interested in tour. do you have any information on line.

Michael Giblin

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve done the Highland Village tour. If you like the ‘good old days’ and want to see an old school house, a general store, a horse shoer shop, and other original buildings…its fairly interesting. There are people in the building in period clothes to help with the history and use of the buildings. They are fairly spread out, so you get some exercise too! 

• 1 month later...
On 4/25/2023 at 6:45 PM, jdavid said:

Send me an email and we can chat about local

options 

jdavid, would you mind giving me information about Halifax also? We will be there Sept. 19th. Thanks a bunch. djludwig.1@netzero.com

2 hours ago, alwaysfrantic said:

Do you get the rental car right at the port or do you have to taxi to an agency?

Howdy AlwaysFrantic,

It is a short stroll from the cruise port to several rental car agencies.  I typically use google maps, find the cruise port in Halifax, then search on rental car.  There should a few that pop up.  I would recommend Hertz, National or Dollar.  I believe that they are the closest to the port.

Edited by ddaz
  • Like 1