Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

13 hours ago, Luv2Crus40 said:

I heard there might be a December 15th release date for 2024 & 2025 cruises. Thanks for checking.

I'll definitely check it out.   I usually like to purchase a couple future cruise certificates.   My understanding it they are now allowing up to a year to book as oppose to the previous 60 days. 

12 hours ago, BEAV said:

I’ve sailed this itinerary a number of times over the years. The first day after leaving LA (and last day returning) can be chilly, even in March. It does get warmer the further south you go, but plan accordingly. 

It is looking better and better.  This morning is sunny and I have a short sleeve T on and am comfortable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MamaFej said:

???? Was it a repeat of the Tournament of Champions? Or an episode from her earlier run?

loved this year's TOC. The new format is exciting. 

In SoCal, it has been back to regular episodes with a very impressive run. We get repeats on the weekends.

I have to admit we are addicted to Jeopardy.   Been watching it every evening for over 10 years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BEAV said:

I’m glad your lemon “tarts” typo substituted the “t” for a “r” rather than an “f”. 

Thank you. 😉

LOL -- I should proof read a bit better.   Honestly I didn't have Rats either.   I also realized I identified the Captain Incorrectly.    I think it is Caption Theo but have to verify.   I have to dig deep on the TV to see for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pamkev said:

Eclipse is taking over the Summit sailings on another platform they said it's leaving Rio for a 14 night cruise up to NJ late April. I don't think any M class ships will be sailing out of NJ

That would be a great cruise.   The flights are really expensive to South America.   We were scheduled for a Rio to Lisbon but was cancelled due to Covid. 

6 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Thank you for your very detailed review. We are officially Celebrity fans since stepping on board. 

I'm really enjoying myself.   There are lots of new staff and seeing lots of orientation tours going on.    Even with the new staff we haven't noticed any service failures.

• Like 4

Yesterday I was doing a micro inspection to see if I could notice areas of Solstice aging and not upgraded

The normal first signs of rust is seen in the glass railing supports.  They are touching up daily and I saw no visible rust. 

39350855-82DD-4FCC-9D54-8DB3FAB7280E.thumb.jpeg.83cbf0bf6e615a1d79f51c4ef9b0e0ce.jpeg

Solstice still have the sodden deck chairs on 5.  I personally like them compared to Kelly’s impractical cloth sofas and ceramic cubes. 

596B6F32-DA1E-487B-81C8-D0A81E831F36.thumb.jpeg.1ec0bf67bb96d6538e01213115d7cc9a.jpeg

There isn’t a Patio  or Grill Restaurant.  Glass show still in place

905096E4-FA13-4938-B8DF-E12471F0DE78.thumb.jpeg.890fe7aaf7c8df282864fedfd874a881.jpeg

Finally the still have Silk Harvest. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'll definitely check it out.   I usually like to purchase a couple future cruise certificates.   My understanding it they are now allowing up to a year to book as oppose to the previous 60 days. 

They actually were offering 18 months for Celebrity Passages bookings on the Apex crossing last month.  HOWEVER, I failed to read the fine print and got sucked into buying 2 more than I should have.  They only offer the extra obc if you book an actual sailing using the certificate within 90 days of your purchase date.  If the CP booking is applied to an actual sailing during the remaining 15 months, they just allow what you already paid to serve as your deposit.  This was NOT on any of the promotional material they distributed on the ship.  Was not explained by the staff in Future Cruise.  Was in the fine print in the email confirmation I received AFTER money changed hands.

It ended up okay because we found a couple of unique sailings in late 2024 to do.  However, all of the extra obc and other perks offered by our TA don't apply to sailings that far out.  Weren't any group rates to take advantage of either.  My advice is ask to see the fine print and read the full terms and conditions before you decide how many to purchase.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

LOL -- I should proof read a bit better.   Honestly I didn't have Rats either.   I also realized I identified the Captain Incorrectly.    I think it is Caption Theo but have to verify.   I have to dig deep on the TV to see for sure.

My personal favorite from this thread was...

"We also were surprised to find that Anesthesia is the Retreat Manager." - Clearly a very relaxed individual 🙂

Don't start proof reading though the occasional typo just adds the the fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

10 minutes ago, jsblbruce said:

They actually were offering 18 months for Celebrity Passages bookings on the Apex crossing last month.  HOWEVER, I failed to read the fine print and got sucked into buying 2 more than I should have.  They only offer the extra obc if you book an actual sailing using the certificate within 90 days of your purchase date.  If the CP booking is applied to an actual sailing during the remaining 15 months, they just allow what you already paid to serve as your deposit.  This was NOT on any of the promotional material they distributed on the ship.  Was not explained by the staff in Future Cruise.  Was in the fine print in the email confirmation I received AFTER money changed hands.

It ended up okay because we found a couple of unique sailings in late 2024 to do.  However, all of the extra obc and other perks offered by our TA don't apply to sailings that far out.  Weren't any group rates to take advantage of either.  My advice is ask to see the fine print and read the full terms and conditions before you decide how many to purchase.

That is what I remember on the ones I previously ones I purchased.   I do always read the fine print.   I was thinking our last one that we also needed to make sure it was assigned to our TA or transfer rather quickly.  

The good thing is you can also always book a place holder way in the future and then just transfer the sailing to one you want and you get to keep the perks.   The games they play.   We just have to find good strategy.

• Like 1

We are not big gamblers but with the OBC we pulled of NR on the first night.   Solstice has not upgraded their Slots and you can not using the tapping method to access your account and put money on the machine.    You have to go to the Cashier and they will transfer in increments of $100.    I initially took $300 and received 3 each $100 tickets. 

I initially played for awhile and then put all 3 in the machine and after 30 minutes cashed out of the Slot with a $360 ticket.    I'll probably keep playing until closer to the end of the cruise before cashing out.   Depending on how much we have on our account I may add to my ticket.      We have $1,000 OBC to use up.

Our agent gave us a choice when booking to either take a Refundable OBC or just take it off the front end.   I chose to have him apply it front end.      I usually like to take it as a Refundable and cash out last day of the cruise to maximize Mileage Points.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I think that is now 'Le Petit Chef' at Silk Harvest though?

I'd love it to be otherwise, but I think Silk Harvest is gone in all but name sadly.

You are correct.    I just looked at the App.    I had only seen it on the map and haven't' been aft of Michael's Club so far.   Thanks for letting us know. 

• Like 1

Finally found out the passenger count.   We set sail with 1,660 guests.   Lots of Blue Chip Free and Looks like a Travel Agent FAM group.   Saw them in a conference room presentation.

Solstice has 1,425 Cabin so at Double Occupancy of all room 2,850 and Maximum capacity of 3,800

At double occupancy we are at  58% capacity.    I was told the  last cruise they only had 950 passengers and a staff of 1,000.

The ship really feels empty and most bars even Martini Bar are often empty. 

16 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are not big gamblers but with the OBC we pulled of NR on the first night.   Solstice has not upgraded their Slots and you can not using the tapping method to access your account and put money on the machine.    You have to go to the Cashier and they will transfer in increments of $100.    I initially took $300 and received 3 each $100 tickets. 

I initially played for awhile and then put all 3 in the machine and after 30 minutes cashed out of the Slot with a $360 ticket.    I'll probably keep playing until closer to the end of the cruise before cashing out.   Depending on how much we have on our account I may add to my ticket.      We have $1,000 OBC to use up.

Our agent gave us a choice when booking to either take a Refundable OBC or just take it off the front end.   I chose to have him apply it front end.      I usually like to take it as a Refundable and cash out last day of the cruise to maximize Mileage Points.

Hello!  Can you explain how using the slots works with OBC?  I admit I've read lots of posts and still am confused, I think because some posts have different answers than others.  

I have OBC from Celebrity and OBC from the agent on our cruises.

Thanks so much for all of your help and advice.

p.s. How was the halibut last night?  🙂

12 hours ago, lilghallinsf said:

LOL Hate when they preempt Jeopardy and our own SF native Amy won !

I agree.

I spoiled it for  Iain.   I was in Modesto visiting our daughter and we watched Jeopardy on Monday.   For some reason it wasn't blacked out there and I spoiled the TOC  and when I called him I said how surprised I was with  the bidding that gave Amy the win.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

My personal favorite from this thread was...

"We also were surprised to find that Anesthesia is the Retreat Manager." - Clearly a very relaxed individual 🙂

Don't start proof reading though the occasional typo just adds the the fun.

Ugh...  I've been sitting in the dark sipping coffee and messaging on CC.  

I have to say some of my text can even be funnier when voice recognition or auto correct puts in some pretty funny words. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

I think that is now 'Le Petit Chef' at Silk Harvest though?

I'd love it to be otherwise, but I think Silk Harvest is gone in all but name sadly.

I was actually thinking of booking Silk Harvest but if it's Petite Chief will give it a pass.  Not a big fan.   It was fun once or twice but would much prefer Murano or Tuscan

10 minutes ago, lakegirl16 said:

Hello!  Can you explain how using the slots works with OBC?  I admit I've read lots of posts and still am confused, I think because some posts have different answers than others.  

I have OBC from Celebrity and OBC from the agent on our cruises.

Thanks so much for all of your help and advice.

p.s. How was the halibut last night?  🙂

Supposedly you aren't suppose to be able to pull off your OBC.   I was told that if you don't gamble at least 80% of what you move to the Slot Machine or Ticket you get locked out of taking out more for 24-48 hours. 

Once you have the slot ticket you can just go to the Cashier and Cash Out.   

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Ugh...  I've been sitting in the dark sipping coffee and messaging on CC.  

I have to say some of my text can even be funnier when voice recognition or auto correct puts in some pretty funny words. 

I'm still in awe of your ability to do as much as you do while cruising, never doubt that it is very much appreciated, the occasional typo is just a bonus.

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was actually thinking of booking Silk Harvest but if it's Petite Chief will give it a pass.  Not a big fan.   It was fun once or twice but would much prefer Murano or Tuscan

I got excited for a moment that it might have made a return, but apparently the contract for 'Le Petit Chef' is solid and unlikely to be changed any time soon, or so we were told a few months ago.

It isn't so bad on the 'S' class ships as you do still have Murano, but it feels like a mistake on the 'M' ships as it only leaves you with Tuscan sadly.

• Like 3