Best Alaska viewing spots on the Discovery

beluga_baby

This is my first time sailing on Princess, and while I'm excited to be on the Discovery I am a little disappointed that there isn't a covered outdoor pool area. On a previous Alaska cruise, we loved sitting on the top deck under a dome covering to look out the big windows to try to spot whales or just look at the scenery while staying warm. Can anyone recommend any nice areas on the Discovery (or on any of her sister ships if that is what you sailed on) where you were able to be indoors while also having a nice view of everything around you? I'm trying to find some spots on my own using the deck plans and other people's videos, but of course they don't compare to actually being there.

And in a similar question, did you have a favorite spot to view the glaciers when you get to them? I feel like a top deck would be nice because you can run from one side of the ship to another if someone spots something cool, but being on a lower deck means you get a better view of the ice and any potential wildlife.

We watched a lot from

the buffet area, but our favorite spot ended up being the aft bar behind the buffet. There are some couches under the covered part of the deck with big glass windows, so the wind is minimal. We could sit and have great views and a drink without freezing. Although the ship was full it wasn’t crowded back there either.

I was on the Discovery the week of Thanksgiving. I thought that I had booked it for our May 2023 cruise, so I explored the ship looking for spots to view the Glacier Bay events.  Unfortunately, I didnt find any that I thought were as good as the open decks on the Star (no longer in the fleet) or the Island/Coral Princess. 

The Discovery is a huge ship.  However, there are few, if any open decks with unrestricted views of the outside.

What does that mean?  Everything I found was behind high, thick, tinted glass! 

The Sanctuary (which does cost extra, is likely going to be packed, and is surounded by green glass.  What is the actual color of the glacier if you have to view it through green glass?

On other ships (Star, Island or Coral)  Deck 7 is open and wide. You can sit in deck chairs, or stand up and view everything off the ship.  On the Diamond, Deck 7 does have a walk, but it is not wide enough for 2 people to pass!  Also, the only view is the bottom of a lifeboat.  I didnt get a single unobstructed view from Deck 7.

I agree that the Wave Bar area on Deck 16 would be unobstructed, but it looks backward, so until you get to the end of the Glacier Bay trip and the Captain spins the ship, it wont be very useful.

My recommendation is a Balcony cabin on the Left (port) side of the ship, and to turn your TV to the channel that will play the announcements.  However, from my experience, the balcony is small, and you wont have a lot of leg room sitting there, especially if there are 2 (much less more).

Anyway, if anyone else has visited the Discovery and finds an open deck without tinted glass, please let me know. Id be interested, but until then, I will avoid booking Alaska on a Royal class ship.

(I miss the Star and her sisters!)

20 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Here are a couple of shots from the Discovery that show where the glass railings are only slightly higher than waist-high. You would have to stake out these spots pretty early, though!

I hope your statement "stake out these spots pretty early" means that people actually sit there and do not save the loungers for later.  It's not polite to save loungers for more than 30 seconds.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, damiross said:

I hope your statement "stake out these spots pretty early" means that people actually sit there and do not save the loungers for later.  It's not polite to save loungers for more than 30 seconds.

I'm not speaking of loungers at all. Sitting in a lounger will only show you the backsides of all the people *standing* at the rail!

Rick and Jeannie,

Is that Deck 17 overlooking the Wake Bar and 'infinity' pool?

I think that I did visit that deck and area.  IF I recall, it is rather small, faces backwards and is also one of the designated smoking spaces and is an adults only area (which is fine with me). 

DO you have any guestimates on how many people could be there at a time? 

What are your thoughts about being at the rear of the ship while going through Glacier Bay or while the ship was in the end trying to watch/hear the glaciers calving?

Did you find any other places with open viewing?