Are the speciality dinning options worth it

Ryan82

I've cruised many times with MSC (but still only Gold status)

I always opt for the Premium drinks packages because I don't like limitations or worrying about unexpected bar bills because we do enjoy lots to drink on our cruise.

I've never tried the speciality dinning restaurants because I really like the food and service in the MDR. However I have a two week cruise in August on the Preziosa to Norway and Svalbard and am thinking 14 nights in MDR might need breaking up with something.

Any opinions?

“Worth it” is such a difficult question to answer because worth is subjective but I would say that if you’re on a cruise for that length of time you’d be missing out if you didn’t try at least one. If I had to pick just one it would be Butcher’s Cut. I’m not familiar with Prezoria but assuming the specialities are consistent across the fleet, I think that would be an awesome start.  When we were on Seashore we did BC and had a fabulous meal. It was pricey bc we went a la carte but they have a fixed menu option as well. We skipped the Japanese and Mexican options bc we can get both at home. A great steak is always a treat, though. IMO it’s worth a try if for nothing else but to decide for yourself if it’s worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love steak. Bc tempts me. Must admit I am fussy with steak and typically prefer what I can buy and cook at home. 

On the preziosa we'll only have BC and the Galaxy to pick from though.

Great to hear you had a positive experience.

• Like 1

On my September cruise on Grandiosa, we paid $142 for the two of us for the Trilogy package, which included 3 speciality restaurants.  My impressions?

1. Butcher's Cut.  Food was excellent.  Presentation was underwhelming.  Service was polite but not polished.  Atmosphere, pretty good.

2. Hola! Tapas (Tacos on some ships).  Food was okay.  Service was okay.  Atmosphere was okay.

3. Atelier Bistro.  Food was very good, although we paid an upcharge for lobster ($17.50 per person).  Atmosphere above average but dead (we were nearly the only ones there).  Service, polite and friendly, but again, unpolished.  

Were these restaurants worth $71 per person?  I'd say yes, although there is some room for improvement.

On our upcoming cruise on Virtuosa, for the same package they want $250.  We're not buying it this time.  However, I do get a Diamond benefit and I think we'll eat in Indochine with that.

Enjoy!

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Thanks to everyone who replied I'm convinced to try 😁

I've three cruises holidays next year all with MSC, in May, June and August. However none of the bookings are showing any speciality dinning options yet. When do they normally pop up on the online portal?

On 12/10/2022 at 5:38 AM, Stockjock said:

On my September cruise on Grandiosa, we paid $142 for the two of us for the Trilogy package, which included 3 speciality restaurants.  My impressions?

1. Butcher's Cut.  Food was excellent.  Presentation was underwhelming.  Service was polite but not polished.  Atmosphere, pretty good.

2. Hola! Tapas (Tacos on some ships).  Food was okay.  Service was okay.  Atmosphere was okay.

3. Atelier Bistro.  Food was very good, although we paid an upcharge for lobster ($17.50 per person).  Atmosphere above average but dead (we were nearly the only ones there).  Service, polite and friendly, but again, unpolished.  

Were these restaurants worth $71 per person?  I'd say yes, although there is some room for improvement.

On our upcoming cruise on Virtuosa, for the same package they want $250.  We're not buying it this time.  However, I do get a Diamond benefit and I think we'll eat in Indochine with that.

Enjoy!

Personally I would give Indochine a miss, we really did not enjoy it at all on Virtuosa and wished we had stuck with Butchers Cut. The food is a bland at best imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

I've three cruises holidays next year all with MSC, in May, June and August. However none of the bookings are showing any speciality dinning options yet. When do they normally pop up on the online portal?

The steaks in butchers cut are very good as are the puddings. Nice fresh bread and flavoured butters as well.

The Mexican food is very pleasant.

The food on the Virtuosa is generally good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ryan82 said:

If they don't show now, they may later but possibly not (not, in the case of my upcoming sailing).  I have also noted that sometimes, Duo or Trilogy show up at the time of booking, but possibly not later.  You could call MSC and ask, as they probably do have an option, but it's probably not a discounted option, or if so, minimally so.

As I mentioned, on Grandiosa I booked Trilogy for $71 per person online.  On the upcoming Virtuosa sailing, there's no online option and Trilogy can be booked on the phone, but for $125 per person, which I passed on.

I recently booked a 2023 sailing and they had Trilogy available for $100 per person, and I accepted that offer.  I don't see any other offers for dining in my cruise planner.

Edited by Stockjock
  • Like 1

Thanks @Stockjock seems very random. But the same applies for how the excursions show up.

Definitely book MSC for the experience and itineraries and not necessarily the quirks of their off board experience 

I'll be on the Virtuosa in June next year. Haven't been on it myself but a mate has and I think we're going to be very happy.

• Like 1

I think they are good discount if you can buy them before you sail which historically lets you avoid the additional service charge, although the deals haven't been as good in recent times on a per person basis (upwards of $50 pp)  I am currently sailing the Seascape in February and they don't even have an option to book a dining plan before sailing as it stands right now.   As a result we most likely won't be adding on any additional dining.