Surprisingly Fast Internet On Carnival Celebration

Spaniel Lover

1 hour ago, mom2tcdx2 said:

Does anyone have a comparison of how the value plan compares to the premium? We will be trying to download shows ahead of time for my grandson but wondered if we found we wanted to download more will the value plan allow it? Thinking like paramount plus, disney plus, netflix?

Value Wi-Fi Plan
Surf all your favorite sites, including e-mail, news, sports, weather, banking and finance. Note: Does not support Skype calling or music/video streaming (such as Spotify or Netflix).
https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1152/~/carnivals-wi-fi-service

I've been running speed tests all week long, just to verify that the results I had early on we're not some fluke.  Upload speeds have been consistently better than what I got in that other test I posted, and ping times, too.  Download speeds have remained close to what I originally showed you.

Screenshot_20221209-184732.png

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Spaniel Lover said:

I've been running speed tests all week long, just to verify that the results I had early on we're not some fluke.  Upload speeds have been consistently better than what I got in that other test I posted, and ping times, too.  Download speeds have remained close to what I originally showed you.

Screenshot_20221209-184732.png

Crazy good !

Recently off the Horizon, and purchased premium.

While IN MY CABIN (Deck 7 Ocean Suite), reliably had speeds of 300Mbs while in port, and 50-60Mbs while at sea. However, while at sea the latency was extremely high (as can be expected) causing some operations to time out occasionally and requiring several reloads/refreshes.

WiFi calling SMS/MMS was not supported. If on Android, ensure you have RCS enabled in messages and texting to other Android users will work as long as they also have RCS enabled.

We were pleasantly surprised with the number of streaming services that worked. I tried the following:

Netflix (Does not go out over the internet gateway, ship has a local caching server)

Prime Video (UI via satellite gateway, some content appeared to be coming from a local cache)

Hulu (Did NOT work, hard block)

ESPN (Did NOT work, hard block)

Disney+ (Did NOT work, region blocked)

Pluto (Did NOT work, hard block)

AppleTV (Did NOT work, hard block)

Paramount+ (Entirely via satellite, Latency was a major issue I was rarely able to overcome)

SlingTV (Entirely via satellite as expected. Latency was an issue requiring many attempts to get a stream, but once started worked great) 

Sirius/XM (Entirely via satellite as expected, worked flawlessly)

OUTSIDE the cabin, while out and about, it performed rather poorly, with speeds of about 5Mbs. In some of the most guest populated areas, even the Hub app would not work properly.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Theicom1 said:

Recently off the Horizon, and purchased premium.

While IN MY CABIN (Deck 7 Ocean Suite), reliably had speeds of 300Mbs while in port, and 50-60Mbs while at sea. However, while at sea the latency was extremely high (as can be expected) causing some operations to time out occasionally and requiring several reloads/refreshes.

WiFi calling SMS/MMS was not supported. If on Android, ensure you have RCS enabled in messages and texting to other Android users will work as long as they also have RCS enabled.

We were pleasantly surprised with the number of streaming services that worked. I tried the following:

Netflix (Does not go out over the internet gateway, ship has a local caching server)

Prime Video (UI via satellite gateway, some content appeared to be coming from a local cache)

Hulu (Did NOT work, hard block)

ESPN (Did NOT work, hard block)

Disney+ (Did NOT work, region blocked)

Pluto (Did NOT work, hard block)

AppleTV (Did NOT work, hard block)

Paramount+ (Entirely via satellite, Latency was a major issue I was rarely able to overcome)

SlingTV (Entirely via satellite as expected. Latency was an issue requiring many attempts to get a stream, but once started worked great) 

Sirius/XM (Entirely via satellite as expected, worked flawlessly)

OUTSIDE the cabin, while out and about, it performed rather poorly, with speeds of about 5Mbs. In some of the most guest populated areas, even the Hub app would not work properly.

All wifi calling didn't work or iPhone to iPhone calls would work?

22 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

All wifi calling didn't work or iPhone to iPhone calls would work?

Native WiFi calling will not work (As in calling to/from your cell carrier phone number), you will need to use an app such as WhatsApp. 

From what I understand, it is blocked due to their agreement with Cellular At Sea.

24 minutes ago, weezal said:

Do VPNs work on the ship internet? Need to know if it’s possible to work, connect back to the office. 

The answer, unfortunately, is maybe.

I had no problems using a SonicWall VPN client, but Cisco Anyconnect would not work.

Azure VDI (essentially a remote desktop) also worked well for me.

Carnival expressly indicates they do not support VPN, and your IT help desk is most likely going to have a hard time with it as well.

12 hours ago, weezal said:

Do VPNs work on the ship internet? Need to know if it’s possible to work, connect back to the office. 

VPN worked -- I was using Cisco AnyConnect -- but there was still the speed issue. I ended up going to tell them it was unusable on about the 3rd day and they immediately refunded without me even asking.

On 12/12/2022 at 5:02 AM, yakefu said:

I'm on the carnival panaroma now and I can confirm the internet is much much faster. I have the same value plan. It's like 20x faster than I was on Radiance this June.Screenshot_20221211_022404_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.299430b3d5ceacab6f2f76889cdc5cb8.jpg

Excellent! I was just looking at a Panorama cruise last night...good to know 😀

On 12/12/2022 at 3:02 AM, yakefu said:

I'm on the carnival panaroma now and I can confirm the internet is much much faster. I have the same value plan. It's like 20x faster than I was on Radiance this June.Screenshot_20221211_022404_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.299430b3d5ceacab6f2f76889cdc5cb8.jpg

Yes, it was on the sea. The internet speed is very good thru the whole trip. Sometimes it's faster. I also share my wifi to an iphone and a galaxy pad. All of us can enjoy the tiktok.