Why Are All Port Cabins Sold Out

Acrusa

We just booked the Statendam for Feb 2 Sydney to Auckland,Tried to book an A or B catagory cabin on the port side.All sold out so we took the starboard side.Can someone tell me why?Are the views better on this cruise on the port side?

That sounds very strange. Maybe of the cabins your TA was allotted, the port cabins were sold out? You can call HAL directly and ask if there are any available on the port side and maybe your TA will get you a port cabin. Port side cabins are supposedly facing the port when you dock. That is really a myth and it just varies from where you dock. Maybe this particular cruise there is something I am not familiar with that is a big attraction. If not, then the starboard should be just fine.. Being there is the BIG thing!:p

On this itinerary, the port side is facing land (when there's land to be seen.) This is probably why. Folks are wanting to see the shoreline whenever they can.

Jim, you beat me to it! I must have slow fingers today.

Seems funny that a lot of people (including me) like to see land when we're on the ship. Maybe it has something to do with the "haha...I'm here and you're there" feelings.

That was my thought exactly,also the fact that the sun will be on the starbaord side of the ship into the late afternoon.I contatcted HAL and they where the ones who informed of the sold out port cabins

That is a bummer. Too bad there are no aft cabins to check on. Just bring your sun glasses!! And, WOW a year in advance sold out on the port side!.. Booking early is getting important if you want to get a specific cabin..

The most scenic part of your cruise will be sailing into (and out of ) Milford Sound so port or starboard is not going to matter. What you don't see on the way in you'll see on the way out. The Fiordland National Park is very much like Alaska, in particular Misty Fjords National Park. Very spectacular. I was there last week on the Diamond Princess. However, I can't for the life of me understand why some people are happy to view all that beautiful scenery from a cabin balconyas many did. I like to be up on a top deck where I have a 360 degree view.

Have you read Carolyn Spencer Brown (hope I've got the name right),Cruise Critic editor's account of her trip on the Statendam on this itinerary? She did it last month. It was a virtual report from the ship.Extremely well written. A must for anyone doing this cruise.

Happy sailing. You'll have a great cruise.

Sandra

Archived