US Citizen but living in Canada...documentation question

imluvncruzn

She should be able to get into the US with just the birth certificate. She should be able to get on a cruise from the U.S. to the Caribbean with the birth certificate and Canadian drivers license. But, she won't be able to get back into Canada with just a driver's license. Is she on a visa? Isn't that attached to her passport? 

Just now, boulders said:

She should be able to get into the US with just the birth certificate. She should be able to get on a cruise from the U.S. to the Caribbean with the birth certificate and Canadian drivers license. But, she won't be able to get back into Canada with just a driver's license. Is she on a visa? Isn't that attached to her passport? 

A US citizen reentering the US at a land port of entry needs to present a passport, passport card or EDL. Other documents may be acceptable but birth certificate isn't ordinarily acceptable for an adult. (They might accept it after the traveler goes to secondary so one needs to allow ample time.)

OP this is an interesting question that I don't recall seeing. The regulations say government issued ID and while it doesn't say from a US government entity it is implied. My gut says it wouldn't be accepted but if it is all you have it's probably better to try as long as you can still get to the port which might be more of a problem since she'll have trouble entering the US.

5 hours ago, imluvncruzn said:

Hello.  My cousin is a US citizen but lives in Quebec.  She renewed her passport but it has not come in yet and we leave Saturday.  Does anyone know if she can cruise (not fly) with just a US birth certificate and Canadian driver's license?  

I would call the passport  office ASAP & see if they can rush it through  so she can pick it up  Friday

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I would call the passport  office ASAP & see if they can rush it through  so she can pick it up  Friday

But if is a U.S, passport, she would have to cross into the U.S. to pick it up? Or does the U.S. passport office have an office in Quebec?

1 hour ago, DirtyDawg said:

But if is a U.S, passport, she would have to cross into the U.S. to pick it up? Or does the U.S. passport office have an office in Quebec?

That is up to her to find out  

We do not know  what her status is   as mentioned above  she may have other paperwork needed to get back into Canada

Maybe she applied for  a Canadian passport ???

I would have called  last week if I knew I need one  this  week

Can Canadians  sail with  a BC  & DL??

we always  use  our passport when we leave the  Country