Review of Tauck Christmas Markets on the Rhine cruise 2022

worldtraveller99

This was an excellent river cruise on the MS Inspire. We started in Dusseldorf. The previous night the ship had been in an industrial area miles out, so I was expecting to pay for taxis, but on the day they had moved to a berth right in the heart of the old town. Here and in Cologne (where the towns are actually on the Rhine) Tauck had the prime spot to walk into town from.

Unfortunately the weather at the end of November was cold and raining nearly every day. But we still had lovely days in Dusseldorf, Cologne, Rudesheim, Heidelberg, Baden-Baden, Strasbourg and Lucerne. Whilst they did have at least 5 local guides everywhere for 120 people (and VOX boxes to hear them), sometimes the guides had to walk quite quickly to keep to schedule, which is inconvenient if you want to take photos.

The ship was lovely, modern decor and lots of Christmas decorations. We had a suite (the size of 2 cabins - one half has a sofa, table and chair), with opening french windows. There was twice a day turn-down service, plus daily programmes and rather dry USA Today newspaper summaries delivered.

Tauck could not do more for you. From giving us $100 to spend in the nice shop onboard, to Christmas chocolates in our shoe on the last night, they were always finding new ways of giving us presents. Jeremy the Cruise Director and all the staff were fabulous too.

There was great entertainment - especially the Santa Jazz Band who were really interactive and imaginative (more Elvis etc than jazz, which I was glad about).

You do need to be sociable on a river cruise - there were very few tables for 2 at dinner. We were very pleased to make new friends and enjoyed meeting lots of new people (all living in the USA apart from us!?) over meals.

I would absolutely travel with Tauck again - the itinerary is a bit prescribed and full, but you do see everything, and we did have free time to ourselves in every port. I think of all the inclusive river lines (and we had constant cocktails etc whenever we wished) Tauck is the best value. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for this review!  I will definitely add Tauck to my short list of river cruise lines.

With 5 guides, didn't they offer any variations on the tours?  Slower pace for mobility challenged, faster pace for Elvis fans ['a little less conversation, a little more action'...]?  Your description sounds like all 5 were 'fast pace'!

I hope my fellow Yanks treated you well.  We have loved our cruises on Noble Caledonia, where we are the only Yanks among 100 Brits!

• Like 1

No it was all a bit random as to which of the 3 coaches you sat on to reach the towns as to which guide you walked with. But all the guides were fluent in English and very interesting. I think Tauck say in their brochure that you do need to be able to navigate cobbled streets to do a German river cruise with them. We had a couple of slower walkers, but the guide checked they had caught us up at each street corner before moving on.

• Like 1

@worldtraveller99, thank you so much for your review.  I'm taking my first Tauck river cruise in 11 days, a Yuletide cruise thru the canals of The Netherlands and Belgium, Amsterdam to Brussels.  So far I've been impressed with the service I've received from Tauck.

@Host Jazzbeau, your Elvis comment cracked me up.