Second guest sails free

runner15km

Received a email today that second guest sails free. I clicked on the link and choose a oceanview stateroom for 499.00 on a 9 day sailing from NYC. I also choose the free offers such as drinks, specialty dining and wifi. I understand the taxes, fees and gratuities but not the final price of 2104.00.   I was thinking we could sail for around 1700.00 not 2104.00. Sort of bait and switch ?   

Edited by runner15km

The entire pricing/marketing system has been like this for years. It's a great pull for new cruisers who 'think' they are getting a screaming deal when in fact this is the same deal that has been going on for years. The cruiselines hemorrhaged over the last years and must now attempt to make up for it as quickly as possible. Pricing is up, fees are up and the amount of 'free' stuff is quietly reduced and limited as years go on.

As with any trip, it simply comes down to the final number. If folks think it's too high they'll spend their dollars elsewhere and the lines might have to adjust. But yes, it always feels very bait and switch...

Edited by paulis
  • Like 1

yeah, they really doing it tricky right now.  The price you see when you search for the sailing is half price from the "regular" price and charged per person:

image.png.bed8f56e241f49406f96daeb05e9bb17.png

So that is why you see the price for the cabin as 2 times the listed price, instead of just once (with the 2nd person being free) as you would expect.  So, the bottom line price doesn't change at all.  It's just a trick to make you think a promotion is going on

not only that, but ncl has jacked up the original price, cut that price in half and are trying to convince

people they're getting a deal.

anytime ncl runs one of it's "amazing sales" (which in fact they have been doing in one form or another for a couple of years) it's buyer beware!

• Like 2

NCL is no different than the other cruise lines.  This sales gimmick is used by other cruise lines as well.   

A marketing professional will tell you that the quickest way to make a sale is to convince the buyer they're getting something for free.

You must always remember: "There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch" (TANSTAAFL). 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

not only that, but ncl has jacked up the original price, cut that price in half and are trying to convince

people they're getting a deal.

anytime ncl runs one of it's "amazing sales" (which in fact they have been doing in one form or another for a couple of years) it's buyer beware!

they call second guest sails free but they really don't they just charge double occupancy to the first person :-)...LOL

7 hours ago, runner15km said:

Received a email today that second guest sails free. I clicked on the link and choose a oceanview stateroom for 499.00 on a 9 day sailing from NYC. I also choose the free offers such as drinks, specialty dining and wifi. I understand the taxes, fees and gratuities but not the final price of 2104.00.   I was thinking we could sail for around 1700.00 not 2104.00. Sort of bait and switch ?   

Right...so here's the deal. The "MSRP" is listed at $998 per person, so they are "giving" you 50% off which is $499. But that is still per person, so the fare is $998. Add on $700 in port fees and taxes and $400 in beverage and dining gratuities, and voila! $2,100.

So is the second person really free? Well yes, if you look at it as 50% off of two passengers equals one person is free. But no, if you look at it as having to pay $499 twice. The website portrays both of these facts in a way that makes it look like you're getting 50% off and a $499 fare, but you're not.

I agree that other cruise lines (and other businesses) do this all the time. 25 years ago, there was a department store in upstate New York who got sued because they always marketed their products at some %% off "regular" price. The AG took them to court and argued that since the merchandise was never offered at the "regular" price, the regular price wasn't real, and they were engaging in false advertising. A judge agreed. I'm surprised no one has gone after the travel industry for that.

Regardless, as others have said, you need to get to the final price before you get excited about something that looks like a great deal.

7 hours ago, runner15km said:

The 499.00 is the average per person double occupancy cruise fare only.  You still have port fees and taxes, and as you say you took the FAS offers which means you pay the gratuities on the drink and dining packages.  No bait and switch, you just failed to read the terms and conditions of the offer before jumping in.  Still 2104.00 for two people to sail a9-day cruise with open bar and specialty dining for however many days is not a bad deal.

3 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

The 499.00 is the average per person double occupancy cruise fare only.  You still have port fees and taxes, and as you say you took the FAS offers which means you pay the gratuities on the drink and dining packages.  No bait and switch, you just failed to read the terms and conditions of the offer before jumping in.  Still 2104.00 for two people to sail a9-day cruise with open bar and specialty dining for however many days is not a bad deal.

So when I looked at Escape before the "SCAM/sale" it was arounf $3400 for 2 people during spring break. During the sale when it was 2nd guest sails free $3500. Stright BS marketing but I guess some people do not know or are ignorant about how "SCAM/sales" work.