Current YC Inclusions

helenb

We are sailing on Seaside in YC this coming June. It has been some time since we were on MSC, due to having 3 cruises with them canceled during the pandemic (2020-2021). I am hoping that someone can help me with the current inclusions in the YC fare (which I understand have changed since pre-COVID).

Are the following things included in the YC fare?

- wifi (I believe this is included, which is new for us)

- gratuities (I don't think they are included, but just checking)

- drinks at bars/buffet/pools onboard (not in YC)

- drinks at Venchi (either alcoholic or non-alcoholic)

- gelato (at Venchi or elsewhere)

- crepes (at Venchi)

- ice cream/gelato novelties (pops, sundaes, etc.) at Venchi or elsewhere

Other than the discount on the cruise, I believe our diamond (formerly black) status gets us a chocolate ship and one (limited) specialty dining meal. Is this correct? If so, the drinks at the specialty restaurant are included as part of our YC drinks package, right?

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!

1 hour ago, helenb said:

See answers below:

We are sailing on Seaside in YC this coming June. It has been some time since we were on MSC, due to having 3 cruises with them canceled during the pandemic (2020-2021). I am hoping that someone can help me with the current inclusions in the YC fare (which I understand have changed since pre-COVID).

Are the following things included in the YC fare?

- wifi (I believe this is included, which is new for us) Yes it is included

- gratuities (I don't think they are included, but just checking) there is a daily service charge added to your account around the third day, additional tipping is up to you.

- drinks at bars/buffet/pools onboard (not in YC) Yes-but in some specialty areas (Venchi's and Hola Tacos) drinks are not included

- drinks at Venchi (either alcoholic or non-alcoholic) Not included

- gelato (at Venchi or elsewhere) not included-BUT if you ask at the pool bar they may have it

- crepes (at Venchi) not included Venchis are a third party operator

- ice cream/gelato novelties (pops, sundaes, etc.) at Venchi or elsewhere

Other than the discount on the cruise, I believe our diamond (formerly black) status gets us a chocolate ship and one (limited) specialty dining meal. Is this correct? If so, the drinks at the specialty restaurant are included as part of our YC drinks package, right? The ship has been discontinued but you will get treats throughout the week. A specialty meal is included...

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide!

Just to 'refine' some of the answers. Complimentary wifi is the basic level for 2 devices each. We could not upload a photo many times to Cruise Critic and could not view Youtube cruise news. Paid a nominal fee to upgrade to streaming and could view Youtube. Could only upload photos when in port and everyone off the ship or before 6am.

Had gelato sundaes every lunch and dinner with whipped cream and chocolate sauce and pirouettes in the YC restaurant, so did not miss having at the Venchi kiosk. Complimentary chocolate ships are not milk chocolate and they would not substitute the chocolate ship for the new white chocolate ship ($25).

Also of note is that on Ocean Cay day the YC restaurant is closed due to the entire restaurant staff at Ocean House. But one can get a full buffet at the YC One Pool deck and I got my gelato sundae there as well. It was like having our own private yacht with most everyone off the ship.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just to 'refine' some of the answers. Complimentary wifi is the basic level for 2 devices each. We could not upload a photo many times to Cruise Critic and could not view Youtube cruise news. Paid a nominal fee to upgrade to streaming and could view Youtube. Could only upload photos when in port and everyone off the ship or before 6am.

Had gelato sundaes every lunch and dinner with whipped cream and chocolate sauce and pirouettes in the YC restaurant, so did not miss having at the Venchi kiosk. Complimentary chocolate ships are not milk chocolate and they would not substitute the chocolate ship for the new white chocolate ship ($25).

Also of note is that on Ocean Cay day the YC restaurant is closed due to the entire restaurant staff at Ocean House. But one can get a full buffet at the YC One Pool deck and I got my gelato sundae there as well. It was like having our own private yacht with most everyone off the ship.

Just to clarify, when in port at Ocean Cay, the YC sundeck, including bar and buffet are open? I ask because when we were on Divina three years ago, and Ocean Cay was brand new, everything was closed. No bar or lunch buffet on the YC deck. We had gone to the YC area on Ocean Cay, but it was complete chaos so we went back to the ship. Also, does YC have complimentary access to the thermal suite whenever they want? Or, is it limited?

47 minutes ago, Peachy59 said:

Just to clarify, when in port at Ocean Cay, the YC sundeck, including bar and buffet are open? I ask because when we were on Divina three years ago, and Ocean Cay was brand new, everything was closed. No bar or lunch buffet on the YC deck. We had gone to the YC area on Ocean Cay, but it was complete chaos so we went back to the ship. Also, does YC have complimentary access to the thermal suite whenever they want? Or, is it limited?

The pool deck bar and grill were open in the YC on our private island visit on both Meraviglia and Seashore.  Access to the thermal suite is unlimited.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peachy59 said:
18 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

Just to clarify, when in port at Ocean Cay, the YC sundeck, including bar and buffet are open?

Yes. Perhaps it is in response to the enormous success of Ocean House lunch that makes it necessary to keep the YC One Pool deck open for lunch and drinks for people like us that have already had past experience.  There were only a 'hand full' of us that come back to the ship for lunch in the YC.

As time goes by more and more YC guests will probably opt to avoid the crowds that 'stake out' their tables as there are only 3 tables inside the airconditioned OH, 17 tables on the covered veranda, and 25 tables set up on the surrounding lawns. If people share a table for 4 = 180 guests and a full YC on the Seaside could be 320. 

P.S. In October it was a fiasco. It was a beautiful day and OH was packed and a passing storm forced the entire contingent to crowd in together. No happy campers that afternoon. The YC trolleys only transport 7 at a time. The YC director commandeered a larger Ocean Cay trolley and was seen driving it himself to get guests back to the ship.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

• 4 weeks later...

So, I've been investigating a bit more... it runs out that we will have a lot of onboard credit (from TA and Diamond status). So I'm thinking that will cover a fair bit of gelato. What is the gelato cost now?

19 hours ago, helenb said:

So, I've been investigating a bit more... it runs out that we will have a lot of onboard credit (from TA and Diamond status). So I'm thinking that will cover a fair bit of gelato. What is the gelato cost now?

About $4 to $6. For one scoop and two scoops.

Edited by JAGR
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, helenb said:

You got onboard credit for Diamond status? 

Also wondering if anyone knows if onboard credit from a TA is refundable on MSC?

Yes, because we made the booking more than 9 months before departure, we got $50 per person.

https://www.msccruises.com.lb/en-lb/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

(click on 'Membership Privileges')

Last time we took MSC, the TA credit we got was not refundable (that's the first time we had ever experienced that). I recall that we ended up buying a bunch of nice European chocolate in the gift shop (gelato was included in YC/drink packages at that time). After we pay for gratuities, we generally don't buy anything else.