San Juan, always Pan American Pier to embark?

spenecer

Hi, I just booked my first cruise (March 2023).  It is out of San Juan and I have discovered that there are two sets of piers in the San Juan port, three by Old San Juan and the Pan American Pier and that these two areas are separated by a big bay of water!   Has anyone sailed out of San Juan on NCL recently and can tell me which pier is used by NCL?  Is it the Pan American Pier for embarking?  I want to make sure that I get a taxi to the correct pier and not miss the boat.

5 minutes ago, spenecer said:

Hi, I just booked my first cruise (March 2023).  It is out of San Juan and I have discovered that there are two sets of piers in the San Juan port, three by Old San Juan and the Pan American Pier and that these two areas are separated by a big bay of water!   Has anyone sailed out of San Juan on NCL recently and can tell me which pier is used by NCL?  Is it the Pan American Pier for embarking?  I want to make sure that I get a taxi to the correct pier and not miss the boat.

NCL's San Juan-based cruises use Pan American pier.

The information can be found on ncl.com:

https://www.ncl.com/getting-to-the-pier/driving-directions#!#sanjuan

Name/Location of Pier Panamerican Pier Dock 1 or East
Edited by njhorseman

18 hours ago, dexddd said:

Note Pan Am can be congested especially if two ships there.  Later will be less congested.

Why do people want to get there early?  The itinerary says that the ship doesn't leave until 7pm.

On 12/10/2022 at 5:21 AM, bedfordmom said:

I believe cruise day stops always goes into Old San Juan and embarkations from Pan American. It makes sense as can you imagine 3000 plus trying to get taxis into the old city and back for the day?

That is correct - San Juan originations/terminations from the Pan-Am pier

and day port stops are at the old city piers.

Google Map for reference - zooom in for more details

Google Maps

5 hours ago, spenecer said:

Why do people want to get there early?  The itinerary says that the ship doesn't leave until 7pm.

Welcome to CC. I'll bite.

Because you can enjoy the ship once you get on which is typically noon for the groups they first let on.  You can have lunch, go to pools, enjoy bar service, etc.  Plus if your hotel kicks you out at 11, where you going to hang out?  But feel free to go as you feel fit so long as you are on by the latest time they designate.

20 hours ago, curlstravel said:

You also want to get on the ship early so you can book your entertainment before some of the shows fill up.

So, Norwegian has an app which I understand is used for booking things on the ship.  Can you not book entertainment with the app?  Can you not book in the couple of weeks before you get on the ship?

4 hours ago, spenecer said:

So, Norwegian has an app which I understand is used for booking things on the ship.  Can you not book entertainment with the app?  Can you not book in the couple of weeks before you get on the ship?

No, you can only book when connected to the ships wi-fi. So you must be on the ship, or in the right spot in the terminal where you can get a signal.

But, I've also seen where you can't book entertainment with the app, you much use one the screens, the theater booth, or your TV.