Is there any dress code at all in the dining room?

ontheweb

On 12/14/2022 at 10:22 AM, Greygooser said:

just want to chime in and say the MDR and specialty restaurants (even complimentary noodle bar) always ask gentleman to remove their hats, at least for dinner. Or that was my experience on the Getaway last week.

It would be so nice if folks would remove their ball caps. Some think wearing it backwards constitutes formal wear. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've never paid any attention to how others are dressed.  Why would I care?

Well, by clicking on and posting to this thread, you've now paid some attention to the topic.

So much for the "never".

• Like 2

all hail chiefmatejrk. why would anyone else possibly care if someone comes in to dine with a hat or baseball cap on, or even if the cap is turned around (this is something, however i will never understand) 

does it really in anyway distract from you meal, and if it really is that distracting to you,dont look

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Well, by clicking on and posting to this thread, you've now paid some attention to the topic.

So much for the "never".

I usually just come into these threads to brag about wearing slippers and sweats in Le Bistro.  It amuses me. 🤣 I don't ever recall paying any attention to how others were dressed.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it because it is 100% true. 😎 Scout's honor.

(disclaimer: while I was a boy scout for a couple of weeks, I certainly didn't approach the honor of being an Eagle Scout - not that there's anything wrong with that)

34 minutes ago, armwinder said:

It would be so nice if folks would remove their ball caps. Some think wearing it backwards constitutes formal wear. 

If you've studied my posts on Cruise Critic posts (though I hope you haven't studied them), you'll know I abhor dress codes and wear...well whatever I want. Though, I do not enter restaurants where my style will be in conflict with the dress code (Le Bistro, Ocean Blue, Tropicana, Manhattan, etc.).

I do have a real, actual question, because I just don't understand this comment. How does someone wearing a hat (backwards, sideways, rally style, normal) impact your meal or experience? I truly want to know as it sure doesn't impact mine and I'm just curious. 

Thanks - I swear, I'm not trying to be snarky (this time).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

cruiseny4life: please continue to be as snarky as you wish. if some readers dont like it, they can either choose another cruise line, or another post.

read my prior comment. while i never understood the concept of wearing a baseball cap backwards, personally, it wont bother me in any restaurant on the ship, or on land but i do think it looks rather silly

12 minutes ago, complawyer said:

chiefmatejrk. while i try and avoid le bistro at all costs, i have to admit that i too go there in slippers. unfortunately, i dont have any sweats with collars, otherwise i would be proud and honored to follw your example (lmao)

Sweat pants:

image.png.d9ad47fa2a9357eb38c606064c56b50f.pngThere may be a more comfortable way to pass the dress code police, but I highly doubt it.  These things are 100% cotton and feel like PJs. 😎

49 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I've never paid any attention to how others are dressed.  Why would I care?

Not only does this bother some people, it "ruins" their meal.

Don't ask me why, as I do not know, and it would not bother me.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, pookel said:

Seems like a largely male issue tbh .... This is one area where women are lucky, I think. We have a ton of options for simple comfy clothes that are also appropriate even as formal wear. 

Did you miss this man's posts about sweat pants and slippers?  Men have the same options.  Some of my buddies here on the forum @complawyer @cruiseny4life et al exercise them.  Some refuse.  Some secretly desire to but their DW, etc. prohibit it.  I met her halfway last cruise and put on some twill pants and shoes for our first Le Bistro dinner.  Second one?  Nope.  I'm on vacation Dangit!!

To your point, not everybody considers my clothes "appropriate", but I never asked them....😎

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

I do have a real, actual question, because I just don't understand this comment. How does someone wearing a hat (backwards, sideways, rally style, normal) impact your meal or experience? I truly want to know as it sure doesn't impact mine and I'm just curious. 

It doesn't impact my meal or experience.  But I do notice it.  Why do I notice you may ask?  Because I was brought up taught that you do not wear a hat indoors, and you most certainly don't wear a hat at the dinner table.  I understand that times have changed and I am glad that they do.  But that doesn't remove something that's ingrained in my mind, so, I notice it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PATRLR said:

It doesn't impact my meal or experience.  But I do notice it.  Why do I notice you may ask?  Because I was brought up taught that you do not wear a hat indoors, and you most certainly don't wear a hat at the dinner table.  I understand that times have changed and I am glad that they do.  But that doesn't remove something that's ingrained in my mind, so, I notice it.

Thanks, and that makes sense! I do notice it as I was also raised not to wear a hat indoors. Sometimes I even take mine off in the mall or grocery store. Just a habit. I guess it's just that I don't understand the vitriol toward those that dress in looser terms. I know you're aware of my dress code which is certainly not exactly how I would dress on land. Heck, the other day I put jeans and a sweater to go out to dinner. 🙂 But on a cruise, it's vacation mode! Same with my explorations on land during vacation time, whether it's the Gettysburg, Hawaii, or camping trip.

1 hour ago, Lakesregion said:

I guess the question should be asked in the reverse. How do folks feel about someone who enjoys dressing up on vacation and is comfortable in a blazer, long trousers and dress shoes, even a tie with their dress long sleeved shirt?

To be fair, I'll look and (in my head) wonder why someone would want to be so uncomfortable. I won't judge them as undeserving to be in the restaurant though. They also won't impact the taste of my crab cake and prime rib.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, complawyer said:

seashark, there is a difference between caring about the topic of what people wear and commenting about it.

by the way, your comment to chiefmatejrk, (and the recent comment) added nothing to the discussion and totally unnessesary

Except, of course, that his comment wasn't about caring, it was about "never paying attention" which is exactly what he was doing by clicking, reading, and commenting.

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I usually just come into these threads to brag about wearing slippers and sweats in Le Bistro.  It amuses me. 🤣 I don't ever recall paying any attention to how others were dressed.  That's my story, and I'm sticking with it because it is 100% true. 😎 Scout's honor.

(disclaimer: while I was a boy scout for a couple of weeks, I certainly didn't approach the honor of being an Eagle Scout - not that there's anything wrong with that)

Being that your claimed position is that you "never pay attention" to how others dress, then why would you come into a thread just to brag about what you wear in a specific restaurant? As far as you know (since you NEVER pay attention), everyone else is dressing just as you do which negates your reason for bragging.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Did you miss this man's posts about sweat pants and slippers?  Men have the same options.  Some of my buddies here on the forum @complawyer @cruiseny4life et al exercise them.  Some refuse.  Some secretly desire to but their DW, etc. prohibit it.  I met her halfway last cruise and put on some twill pants and shoes for our first Le Bistro dinner.  Second one?  Nope.  I'm on vacation Dangit!!

To your point, not everybody considers my clothes "appropriate", but I never asked them....😎

Yeah but I have actual *formalwear* that's as comfy as pajamas. Literally, a beaded evening gown I could take a nap in comfortably. I don't think anyone's yet invented a three-piece suit like that.