Lots of availability - best time to ugrade?

rodndonna

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in April from San Juan. 

We booked the cheapest interior ... and are now looking at our upgrading options. When I look at at the sailing, there appears to be plethora of rooms available. Oddly for our sailing, insides now sell for almost the same as balcony cabins and oceanviews are cheaper than insides.

Is that a result of so many people booking insides with a plan to bid for upgrades closer to sailing (Moveup)?

The pricing now for us to get a nice aft balcony is pretty good.  I am also stunned there are a few of those  aft suites available still.

Would it make sense to just do an upgrade now (I assume I can call in for that) or just wing it for a balcony upgrade using the Moveup when it becomes available?

The staggering level of available cabins that I see now has me confused. Is that a misleading mirage ??

3 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I would upgrade now if the price looks good.  Moveup is a gamble.

That is where we are leaning. The fact that I can see a few of the coveted aft balconies, I know we have a day or 2 to decide so will be a bit more homework.

It looks like the cruise is mostly booked by people like us, booking the cheapest departure and cheapest room to start. Could be a lot of move-up competition.

10 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

We are taking our first Celebrity cruise in April from San Juan. 

We booked the cheapest interior ... and are now looking at our upgrading options. When I look at at the sailing, there appears to be plethora of rooms available. Oddly for our sailing, insides now sell for almost the same as balcony cabins and oceanviews are cheaper than insides.

Is that a result of so many people booking insides with a plan to bid for upgrades closer to sailing (Moveup)?

The pricing now for us to get a nice aft balcony is pretty good.  I am also stunned there are a few of those  aft suites available still.

Would it make sense to just do an upgrade now (I assume I can call in for that) or just wing it for a balcony upgrade using the Moveup when it becomes available?

The staggering level of available cabins that I see now has me confused. Is that a misleading mirage ??

IMO, if the cost right now is something you are comfortable with, do it and don't look back.  The price fluctuations if you chase them can drive you crazy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rodndonna said:

That is where we are leaning. The fact that I can see a few of the coveted aft balconies, I know we have a day or 2 to decide so will be a bit more homework.

It looks like the cruise is mostly booked by people like us, booking the cheapest departure and cheapest room to start. Could be a lot of move-up competition.

If you want an Aft Balcony, don't wait!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, thebutlerdidit said:

If this is the April 15 repositioning cruise that may be the reason that bookings are low. I snagged 3 suites for my family when they were priced under $1500 per person. I definitely don’t need a suite, but at that price with all of the perks it was too good to pass up. 

It is April 8th.

Just got our upgrade to an Aft verandah - really happy with the price. 

Not sure if it is flight costs keeping the bookings low, or if so many folks are just Guarantee bookings planning to Moveup or what.

But at the current pricing, wasn't worth the risk  😎

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rodndonna said:

It is April 8th.

Just got our upgrade to an Aft verandah - really happy with the price. 

Not sure if it is flight costs keeping the bookings low, or if so many folks are just Guarantee bookings planning to Moveup or what.

But at the current pricing, wasn't worth the risk  😎

Congratulations, I t’s so worth it just to avoid all of the stress and uncertainty of the move up process. 

53 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

The aft balconies won't last long.   Especially if you are talking about FV, snag it now if it's within budget.

I just watched a video tour of our newly booked aft balcony and thought the balcony was impressively large,  and then I watched one for an FV at the corner .... THAT"s A NICE balcony! Maybe our next Celebrity cruise 🤔

2 hours ago, rodndonna said:

I just watched a video tour of our newly booked aft balcony and thought the balcony was impressively large,  and then I watched one for an FV at the corner .... THAT"s A NICE balcony! Maybe our next Celebrity cruise 🤔

Congratulations.  Later if you see a really low bid for another category, you can consider submitting a  Move Up bid

18 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Congratulations.  Later if you see a really low bid for another category, you can consider submitting a  Move Up bid

I've not been through the process, but assumed it was a "blind"  bidding thing. 

Not sure we want to start a bad habit of going higher than an aft balcony 😄

• Like 1

Great prices. I believe the issue is with passengers having to change once or twice to get there. From the UK I would need to change in New York. However the cruise is more port-rich than the FLL departures. Something for the future! We were in San Juan on an Oceania cruise in November and really enjoyed our day there.

We are in a SV on the Millenium in 2024 in Japan😀

25 minutes ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Great prices. I believe the issue is with passengers having to change once or twice to get there. From the UK I would need to change in New York. However the cruise is more port-rich than the FLL departures. Something for the future! We were in San Juan on an Oceania cruise in November and really enjoyed our day there.

We are in a SV on the Millenium in 2024 in Japan😀

From here (Eastern Canada) the flight schedules are not too bad (not back to pre-Covid options), but the flight prices are higher. We really like the itineraries from San Juan as well. Carnival used to cruise from SJ which we have done, but they have pulled out now. We've booked  NCL Viva in Jan 2024 from San Juan also. Great winter getaway cruise itineraries for us.

Japan is on our to-do list - likely 2025. It would be our first trip to Asia so will take some time to figure out.