Stay in Texas City area or stay in Galveston?

YaYaCruiser

Sailing on Adventure of the Seas Feb. 25.  We'll be driving down from north Louisiana on Friday , 2/24.  We'd like to stay in the Texas City area Friday night and hit the Outlet mall, but I'm concerned about the traffic coming into Galveston on Saturday morning. We're hoping to board the ship as early as possible (our window hasn't opened yet for reserving).  

What say the experts?  Are we better off to spend the extra money for a hotel in Galveston Saturday night, or stay in Texas City and risk a slow drive in?

Thanks in advance!

We always stay at the Holiday inn express in Texas city. We stopped staying in Galveston a couple of years ago. We usually skip breakfast and head to Galveston around 10AM for our 11am check in at the port. 

• Like 1

Another option are the group of hotels in Webster, Texas. Google 77598 and you will see many right off Bay Area Blvd and I-45. The trip down to the island is about 25 min, and traffic is virtually zero. I make that drive several times a month to UTMB for my job and before noon the traffic is minimal. TXDOT has opened an additional section of the area under construction and that reduced the slow down.
 Texas City hotels are the same caliber, and the outlet mall is at one exit north. Webster has more restaurant choices and Baybrook mall, so the choice might be based on price.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a Home2Suites in Texas City, right near La Marque where Walmart and Sam's Club are (just across the highway) -- might come in handy if you need last minute items. Several restaurants near too (Gringos, Olive Garden and some local spots to try plus fast food). Even with the construction you're still really only an exit or two up from the Outlet mall, and another 5 miles to League City with plenty of food/shopping options.

All that said, Galveston might be the more economical option since you'll need to park also. So check hotels with the park-n-stay rate in Galveston to see if it'd be worth just driving back up to the outlet mall (about 20 miles, slightly less depending on where you stay on the island).

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 5:21 PM, ssb said:

Besides there are many economy hotels between the bridge/causeway and 61st on island ,

even a brand new La Quinta .

SpringHill Suites by Marriott Galveston Island

6303 Broadway St, Galveston, TX 77551                                                                     

(409) 740-9443

La Quinta Inn & Suites by Wyndham Galveston West Seawall

2901 63rd Street, Galveston, TX 77551 US

See Map

ReservationCounter.com: 844-209-4029

Sleep Inn & Suites Galveston Island

6628 Broadway St, Galveston, TX 77554

(409) 220-3946

Rodeway Inn

6107 Broadway St, Galveston, TX 77551

(409) 740-2491

Candlewood Suites Galveston, an IHG Hotel

808 61st Street C, Galveston, TX 77551

(409) 744-4440

Galveston Inn & Suites Hotel

7220 Broadway St, Galveston, TX 77554

(409) 744-0400

Howard Johnson by Wyndham Galveston

8216 Harborside Dr, Galveston, TX 77554

(409) 744-1100

Motel 6 Galveston, TX

7404 Avenue J, Galveston, TX 77554

(409) 740-3794

• Like 1

We will take an uber when we land the night before to our hotel, (about 9pm). Then uber again from the hotel to the cruise port in the morning.  We have a check in time for 11:00-11:30.  I was thinking it would be a good idea to stay overnight somewhere half way in between the two drives just to reduce travel times, but I don't see it really making a difference.  Is there anything I should factor in when making the choice?  Traffic? Uber wait times?

12 hours ago, RCmommy said:

Okay.  Is Uber able to drop off within a reasonable walking distance to the port terminal?  I’m pretty sure the same happened to us in Charleston and we walked in.

The entrance to the RCL terminal is also the entrance for 18 wheelers going to the port.  There are no sidewalks on most of Harborside Dr.  It is not a safe walk.  Use Lyft or a taxi,

3 hours ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

The entrance to the RCL terminal is also the entrance for 18 wheelers going to the port.  There are no sidewalks on most of Harborside Dr.  It is not a safe walk.  Use Lyft or a taxi,

We will be sailing Carnival but we will use Lyft instead of Uber.  Thanks.

• Like 2