Weather

LydiaB

I had asked about the weather at sea between SF and Hawaii earlier.  I was hoping to hear from people who had already done this cruise.  Easy to get the weather info and forecasts for a land mass, but 'what's it like out on the ocean?'  I guess it's either cool and breezy or hot and still or blowing a gale or raining or 15' seas ...   Probably impossible to predict.

But I'm still interested in hearing from people who have done this cruise.  

59 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

I had asked about the weather at sea between SF and Hawaii earlier.  I was hoping to hear from people who had already done this cruise.  Easy to get the weather info and forecasts for a land mass, but 'what's it like out on the ocean?'  I guess it's either cool and breezy or hot and still or blowing a gale or raining or 15' seas ...   Probably impossible to predict.

We’ve done full and partial TransPacific cruises (with Hawaii in the mix) during winter months. You could certainly look at historical NOAA data but see my post #3.

This sounds like a Princess cruise(?). If so, your biggest potential issue will be their food.

7 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Having crossed the Pacific many times, I have seen everything from flat calm to 75'+ seas, so impossible to predict.

Provided you do not encounter any storms, you should experience the NE Trade winds a day or so out of SF, which when everything is equal are about 15 - 20 kts. Outbound they are abaft the beam, which creates minimal wind over the deck, but inbound are added to the ship's speed for the relative wind over the decks.

Ocean weather forecasting is available from all National Associations - we mostly used the UK Met Office for world wide weather, the USA has NOAA and Canada has Environment Canada. Lots of people prefer 3rd party websites such as windy.

• Like 2