Lunch spots in Florence and Rome?

Macdooger4

There are some suggestions in the "All Things Food and Wine Related" thread pinned to the top of the board.

If you're interested in a very traditional lunch-time Florentine trattoria experience, I can recommend Trattoria Sergio Gozzi, located at Piazza san Lorenzo, 8 -- about midway between the Duomo and the Accademia, and not far from the Mercato Centrale, another good place to grab a bite or two from the various food stalls. 

While tourists eat there, it is an uncompromising lunch-only, good-value-for-money, family run kind of place. Menus are based on local, seasonal ingredients. Be prepared to share a table. Here's a write-up from Eater:

Trattoria Sergio Gozzi

If the chaotic, crowded local trattorias aren’t your thing, head to 150-plus-year-old Sergio Gozzi for a similar slice of ambiance and culinary history — but with more space and less waiting. A true Florentine trattoria, Sergio Gozzi changes up its renowned fried offerings based on the seasons: fried zucchini flowers in the summer and artichokes in the winter. Also keep an eye out for porchetta, peposo (beef stew slow-cooked in wine and whole peppercorns), and one of the best pappa al pomodoro soups in town. Only open for lunch, Gozzi offers traditional homestyle food at reasonable prices. [$]

Hmmm... Trying to remember what I did this summer.

1.  I did eat once upstairs at Mercato Centrale.  One spot had a nice-looking Caprese Salad with Prosciutto and next door at the bar I got a nice Spritz.

2.  Over by the Uffizi is a place called La Prosciutteria.  It is NOT a restaurant (so says the sign in the store).  But it makes outstanding sandwiches and charcuterie boards and offers wine and beer.  A little wall stand where you can put down your eats and go at it.  It is across the street from the famous All'Antico Vinaio, a place with a LONG line to get a sandwich.

3.  If you are on your way to/from the train station - across from the station is a little porchetta place called "Antica Porchetteria Granieri 1916" .    The only one on the web, though is the one over on Porto Rosso.  I'll vouch for this one, though.  The pig in the window will give it away...  It's between McDonalds and Burger King!!!

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Hmmm... Trying to remember what I did this summer.

1.  I did eat once upstairs at Mercato Centrale.  One spot had a nice-looking Caprese Salad with Prosciutto and next door at the bar I got a nice Spritz.

2.  Over by the Uffizi is a place called La Prosciutteria.  It is NOT a restaurant (so says the sign in the store).  But it makes outstanding sandwiches and charcuterie boards and offers wine and beer.  A little wall stand where you can put down your eats and go at it.  It is across the street from the famous All'Antico Vinaio, a place with a LONG line to get a sandwich.

3.  If you are on your way to/from the train station - across from the station is a little porchetta place called "Antica Porchetteria Granieri 1916" .    The only one on the web, though is the one over on Porto Rosso.  I'll vouch for this one, though.  The pig in the window will give it away...  It's between McDonalds and Burger King!!!

Thank you!!

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

There are some suggestions in the "All Things Food and Wine Related" thread pinned to the top of the board.

If you're interested in a very traditional lunch-time Florentine trattoria experience, I can recommend Trattoria Sergio Gozzi, located at Piazza san Lorenzo, 8 -- about midway between the Duomo and the Accademia, and not far from the Mercato Centrale, another good place to grab a bite or two from the various food stalls. 

While tourists eat there, it is an uncompromising lunch-only, good-value-for-money, family run kind of place. Menus are based on local, seasonal ingredients. Be prepared to share a table. Here's a write-up from Eater:

Trattoria Sergio Gozzi

If the chaotic, crowded local trattorias aren’t your thing, head to 150-plus-year-old Sergio Gozzi for a similar slice of ambiance and culinary history — but with more space and less waiting. A true Florentine trattoria, Sergio Gozzi changes up its renowned fried offerings based on the seasons: fried zucchini flowers in the summer and artichokes in the winter. Also keep an eye out for porchetta, peposo (beef stew slow-cooked in wine and whole peppercorns), and one of the best pappa al pomodoro soups in town. Only open for lunch, Gozzi offers traditional homestyle food at reasonable prices. [$]

Thank  you for the info!! I will check out the links you mentioned, I didn't even realize there was a separate thread for food/eats. 

If you're only going to be in Rome on a daytrip from the ship, I wouldn't worry about finding a place for lunch. Just grab a panini or slice of pizza from somewhere and keep going so you can see as much as possible.

Sit-down lunches in Italy are not speedy affairs in general. 

Now if you are staying several days/nights in Rome, there are already some good suggestions in the aforementioned thread.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Florence - All Antico Vinaio https://www.allanticovinaio.com/il-menu-firenze_en/ 

Best sandwich I have ever had and you can walk with it so you can keep it moving.  Line is very long but moves fast.  Takes cards.

Rome : https://www.erfaciolaro.it/en/restaurant-er-faciolaro/   Its a minute from the Pantheon and the food is very good and reasonable.  And one of the owners Daniel is a character and will make your lunch memorable.  Mama Mia!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nycglitter said:

Florence - All Antico Vinaio https://www.allanticovinaio.com/il-menu-firenze_en/ 

Best sandwich I have ever had and you can walk with it so you can keep it moving.  Line is very long but moves fast.  Takes cards.

Rome : https://www.erfaciolaro.it/en/restaurant-er-faciolaro/   Its a minute from the Pantheon and the food is very good and reasonable.  And one of the owners Daniel is a character and will make your lunch memorable.  Mama Mia!

Thank you so much!!

• Like 1