Transportation East Bay to SF Port

damiross

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to the San Francisco port from the East Bay, specifically Castro Valley.

Have any of you taken ride shares (Uber/Lyft) to the port from Castro Valley?  If so, about how much was it,  (I realize the fare is very flexible; I'm just looking for a ballpark figure.)

What about limos?

What about BART?  It looks like the Embarcadero BART station to Pier 27 is a little over a mile.  That's fine but we are old folks.  Would we be allowed to board Muni with our luggage?  (I searched for this on the Muni site but the information could not be found.)

Thanks in advance!

BART, from Castro Valley to San Francisco-Embarcadero, is fairly straightforward and addresses the substantial (and potentially otherwise expensive) portion of the journey. You can deal with the relatively short distance between the Embarcadero station and the pier separately. Many people--including those who are elderly but otherwise in good physical condition--walk. Some people might use Muni--so long as one can manage one's own luggage with ease on public transportation. Otherwise taxi or TNC (Lyft, Uber) service can fill in this segment easily . . . this local fare would not be very much.

I would use UBER.  First, it's on your schedule and not BART's. Only one BART station in CV so depending on where you are you will have to find a way to the BART station.  Uber you get dropped right at the pier and don't have to walk from the BART station to the pier.  Uber is reasonable and you don't have to figure out the BART fare card machine.  Depending on day/time managing luggage on BART could be a pain.  Last but not least, BART isn't the safest way to travel.  

• Like 1

I totally agree with @ATSEAMYLIFE!  I don't use BART these days because of the safety issues.  Too bad because I now have Senior fares and it's really cheap.  Luggage on MUNI would be a huge hassle.  Try not to go during weekday rush hour to reduce time/charges.  

Edited by oakridger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve taken Uber, BART (if we have less luggage and walk the remainder of the way), family rides, limo services, parked in the city, etc.  

Uber is usually about $70 with tip for an Uber X, whereas it is more like $100 with tip for an XL, that will carry 4 passengers or 3 with lots of luggage.  
We’ve booked Major Limo, that services the East Bay, their Suburban SUV carries 6 or 5 with a lot of luggage.  That is a bit over $200 with tip.  Their stretch limo is $250 with tip.  Some of the luggage might need to go in the passenger area so I think it would hold 5-6 passengers.  
Lastly, the parking is about $20 - $25 per night.  We parked at Pier 19.5 which is a covered garage that is locked at night and does have a security guard.  It is about 10-15 minute walk to the pier along the Embarcadero.  There is a parking structure pretty close to the pier on the other side of the Embarcadero that can also be booked.  I think it’s about the same rate.  

• 2 months later...
On 1/4/2023 at 11:28 AM, Cruise Raider said:

We’ve taken Uber, BART (if we have less luggage and walk the remainder of the way), family rides, limo services, parked in the city, etc.  

Uber is usually about $70 with tip for an Uber X, whereas it is more like $100 with tip for an XL, that will carry 4 passengers or 3 with lots of luggage.  
We’ve booked Major Limo, that services the East Bay, their Suburban SUV carries 6 or 5 with a lot of luggage.  That is a bit over $200 with tip.  Their stretch limo is $250 with tip.  Some of the luggage might need to go in the passenger area so I think it would hold 5-6 passengers.  
Lastly, the parking is about $20 - $25 per night.  We parked at Pier 19.5 which is a covered garage that is locked at night and does have a security guard.  It is about 10-15 minute walk to the pier along the Embarcadero.  There is a parking structure pretty close to the pier on the other side of the Embarcadero that can also be booked.  I think it’s about the same rate.  

Do you happen to know the names of the parking garages that are down there? The last time we sailed from SF (about 5 years ago) the parking structure was a little on the shady side and DH doesn't want to use them again.

1 hour ago, allrats said:

Do you happen to know the names of the parking garages that are down there? The last time we sailed from SF (about 5 years ago) the parking structure was a little on the shady side and DH doesn't want to use them again.

Our friend uses that parking structure right across the street from the pier and has had no issues, however, we used pier 19.5 and booked through spot hero with a coupon and it came to about the same rate.  It is a garage and is closed at night and has a security guard there during the day.  I think the rate was about $22 per night.  The only trouble is, it is further from the pier towards the bay bridge but we felt it was a safe place to leave our vehicle.  Others may disagree.  The City is going through some rough patches with the decriminalization of crime.  I know, sounds illogical but it is what it is.  

• Thanks 1