Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

1 hour ago, Penspack said:

My husband and I have been following the Neptune roll calls and blogs and have thoroughly enjoyed them. We’re going to be on the Sky for the next WC and have a question. What is the entertainment like in the theater in the evening on these long stretches of sea days? Did they bring entertainers onboard in Oahu?

Most memorable performance:  famous soprano singer and guitarist at welcome reception and cello concert by Wendy Law last night - first rated performance, seldomly available on typical ocean cruises.  Hope to see more later.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, but bandwidth limitations at sea have been discussed extensively, especially on the roll call for this cruise. Last time I checked the ship doesn't have a fibre optic cable attached to a satellite. When we cruise or hit the road in the RV, we don't expect to receive great service.

If you want similar service to that at home, don't cruise, or purchase your own personal satellite time. Since starlink has limited world wide coverage, I'll suggest INMARSAT and their geostationary sats.

With respect to prices - comparing both our previous World Cruises on Princess & Viking. The Viking base fare was double the Princess base fare, but by the end of the cruise, the daily cost was virtually identical. So while the Viking fare appears expensive, in reality it is no more expensive than a budget cruise line.

Even if Viking did cut back on internet, in favour of quality food, service, lectures, entertainment, more time in port, etc. then I'm all in favour. Personally, quality of the internet is way down on my list of priorities, when I'm off to see the world. I'll also note that when requiring bandwidth, I had no issues on Viking Sun, I simply timed my usage when less pax and crew were online. Had no issues uploading by numerous blogs, which contained many photos.

If it is an issue, perhaps Viking need to introduce bandwidth management controls, throttling back those users that are constantly utilising extensive bandwidth, such as streaming, large auto-updates, video calls, etc.

After all this verbosity, the simple fact is that other cruise lines have dramatically better  bandwidth. Viking has no excuse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Floater69 said:

After all this verbosity, the simple fact is that other cruise lines have dramatically better  bandwidth. Viking has no excuse.

Well, I am here to have fun. The internet is not my primary goal. When in port we will be able to communicate. Sometimes away from technology is the best way to enjoying life!

• Like 11

16 hours ago, Floater69 said:

You have to compare ships located in the same geographic area. Other cruise lines have the same problems in the same geographic area. There are dead zones in the middle of the oceans because there is very limited value in locating satellites where no one uses them. I followed the Oceania WC last season and they had the same problem we did on the Star in the same areas. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I got an email today from Gail Carruth. Many of us will remember Gail and Brad from the pre-cruise Roll Call. They were active participants but had to cancel due to health reasons.

They have been able to unwind most of their plans with one exception.

They have tickets to a concert at the Sydney Opera House on Thursday, Feb 16 7:00 pm.

I don't have the full program but the title piece is Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.

If someone would like to attend that concert Gail asks that you contact her at gailcarruth@gmail.com.

We and (I believe) several others are also going. 

Thanks, Randy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Floater69 said:

So you have been in the same parts of the World on many other cruise ships, so you are providing an accurate comparison. BTW - in my 40+ yrs on many cruise ships, having crossed the oceans many times, in my experience, Viking had the best internet.

However, if connectivity is a primary requirement for you, I'll suggest booking a World Cruise, was not the best choice for a holiday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Heidi13 said:

So you have been in the same parts of the World on many other cruise ships, so you are providing an accurate comparison. BTW - in my 40+ yrs on many cruise ships, having crossed the oceans many times, in my experience, Viking had the best internet.

However, if connectivity is a primary requirement for you, I'll suggest booking a World Cruise, was not the best choice for a holiday.

I totally agree with Andy on this. Although we have been seeing dead spots along this voyage with the addition of the starlink system on board we are having the absolute best service that can be expected considering our location. The Neptune is the best in the Viking fleet for internet right now.

• Like 4

On 1/18/2023 at 2:49 PM, GKTV32162 said:

Yeah, Viking's internet tech is dated, and it is true that the farther south you go, the visibility line to the satellites degrades and therefore the service does too.  As has been said, other lines have figured it out.  Viking really needs to step up here.  People expect it.

At the time of the previous post the ship was still in the North Pacific, within a few hundred miles of the equator. Since they will most likely be using the geostationary satellites, they will be at altitudes of over 85 degrees, or almost directly overhead.

When in higher latitudes (say 55 and higher) the altitude of the sats are low on the horizon and get lower as the Latitude increases. In addition to being easily blocked in coastal waters by shorelines, other factors also degrade the sightlines to the sats. I would be very interested to see how other cruise lines have figured it out, as during numerous Alaska cruises on another line, the connectivity was worse than Viking. Only option I can see is raising the ship's satellite dish many miles into the sky to provide a higher altitude sight of the satellite. Having tried to connect in these circumstances at off-peak times and being unsuccessful, this is not a bandwidth issue, but a sight of the satellite issue, which no technology can improve.

Ships have only 3 methods of connectivity:

- hard wire: not happening mid-ocean

- satellite: unless within the footprint of a low orbit system such as Starlink, the only option is the geostationary sats, which only cover most of the World, with a focus on major shipping lanes. The route from Hawaii to French Polynesia is not a major shipping lane, so is liable to have areas of no to low connectivity. I recall somebody posting that in addition to internet, to expect blackouts to the TV reception, which is proving the problem is satellite coverage, not bandwidth.

- W/T and R/T: no longer utilised on ships, as it requires a trained radio officer and aerials hundreds of feet in length. It was also extremely slow.

Could Viking improve, probably by purchasing additional bandwidth and including software that identifies and shuts down bandwidth hogs. Regardless, if connectivity is a requirement, a World Cruise is a poor choice for seeing the World.

• Like 6

We concur with Andy's comments; besides that, in yesterday's Viking daily there was a notice about Internet and TV Connection alluding to our geographic location over the next few days. Please use this time to enjoy the South Pacific in all of its glory. It sure beats shoveling snow! 

😎🌊🚢🏝️👩🏻

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On 1/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, Floater69 said:

My experience across a number of cruise lines and multiple locations around the world is that each of those lines suffered from inconsistencies and limitations, depending on location, weather, cruise line usage policies and gremlins in the ether ...

We have seen internet service that ranged from fabulous to abysmal on the same line during the same trip. Our only Viking experience was a 2019 northern TA. The Viking service was above average in my experience, but certainly subject to the issues above.

I'd love to know the line that can offer consistent, world-wide, high-quality service ... 🍺🥌

• Like 3

10 hours ago, buddrus said:

I totally agree with Andy on this. Although we have been seeing dead spots along this voyage with the addition of the starlink system on board we are having the absolute best service that can be expected considering our location. The Neptune is the best in the Viking fleet for internet right now.

You serious, Clark !?

22 hours ago, RPapaMarshall said:

I got an email today from Gail Carruth. Many of us will remember Gail and Brad from the pre-cruise Roll Call. They were active participants but had to cancel due to health reasons.

They have been able to unwind most of their plans with one exception.

They have tickets to a concert at the Sydney Opera House on Thursday, Feb 16 7:00 pm.

I don't have the full program but the title piece is Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.

If someone would like to attend that concert Gail asks that you contact her at gailcarruth@gmail.com.

We and (I believe) several others are also going. 

Thanks, Randy

Thanks, Randy, for posting this.  The tickets are free to the first two people who respond.  It seems a shame to have them go to waste.

Gail

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

My experience across a number of cruise lines and multiple locations around the world is that each of those lines suffered from inconsistencies and limitations, depending on location, weather, cruise line usage policies and gremlins in the ether ...

We have seen internet service that ranged from fabulous to abysmal on the same line during the same trip. Our only Viking experience was a 2019 northern TA. The Viking service was above average in my experience, but certainly subject to the issues above.

I'd love to know the line that can offer consistent, world-wide, high-quality service ... 🍺🥌

Rob - I believe that cruise line is called the personal yacht ine 😁

Mind you our son even has poor service crossing the Atlantic when no owners are aboard, only a few crew.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, Little Monty said:

We're in Australia now and were on a wine tour yesterday with a couple from Auckland.  They got out just before the rains started. "as far as we know" their home is fine but they said they talked to people back home who said things are REALLY bad there.  

21 minutes ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

We're in Australia now and were on a wine tour yesterday with a couple from Auckland.  They got out just before the rains started. "as far as we know" their home is fine but they said they talked to people back home who said things are REALLY bad there.  

Jill - what wineries or wine region did you go to?

Sad for New Zealand.

To the Aussies and Kiwis on board the cruise. I purchased granola bars in Hawaii when in port. Are these allowed in both or either country when disembarking? I have read conflicting information online. Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut and Fruit-Nut.

Edited by mstadleraz

38 minutes ago, mstadleraz said:

To the Aussies and Kiwis on board the cruise. I purchased granola bars in Hawaii when in port. Are these allowed in both or either country when disembarking? I have read conflicting information online. Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut and Fruit-Nut.

May I suggest a careful scan of these websites (if you have not already done so). For Oz, my read is that you'll have to declare the products ...

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-leaving-australia/can-you-bring-it-in/categories/food#

The NZ gov't site is less specific, but again, my read is you must declare the products as food.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/prohibited-and-restricted-items/

That said, they may be perfectly acceptable and returned to you in short order. I recommend you don't try to simply bypass the system in either country - they are very strict for good reasons. 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1