Crown Princess Hawaii - 15 Feb to 2 Mar - Trip Prep & Live

arctickitty

2 hours ago, TheRabbit said:

Yes, and they have about 85 uke’s to lend out that you keep till the end, all 85 were lent out the first day and a wait list started.

are the uke classes and hula held at the same time as each other? I think I saw in one of the Patters you posted the Ukelele was 1pm, but missed the hula time and place.

• Like 1

@arctickittyLove your descriptions and interpretations.  Keep them coming.

Did you know that the first parts that fail (for professional hula dancers) are the hips and knees?  It can be a real cardio workout.  So glad you are enjoying the lessons.  Leialoha is a pro.  Her love and respect for her Hawaiian ancestry comes through loud and clear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Happiest when cruising said:

Are these classes and the ukulele classes free? 

yes & the ship has some 'ukes to loan out...her craft classes have a charge for materials though (oops, sorry to repeat, didn't see that you had answered already)

Edited by travelin.sisters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2023 at 9:53 AM, travelin.sisters said:

Tiki Dave does do free (tips accepted) online play alongs & does a wide variety of music with those...it is a nice way to continue & expand on what you started...that said I have to pretty much start over each cruise because there are so many things at home I would rather do...have either Dave or Leialoha mentioned if they are on for the next cruise or getting off at the end of this one (I have heard both)? 

Have fun in Hilo...even in the rain it is lovely.

I haven’t heard them say what is up next for them.

10 hours ago, travelin.sisters said:

yes & the ship has some 'ukes to loan out...her craft classes have a charge for materials though (oops, sorry to repeat, didn't see that you had answered already)

Ukelele and Hula are free and at 1pm and 2pm respectively.  Hawaiian crafts seems to be at 9am on sea days.  Special Someone went the first day and found out it cost $.  His reporting isn’t too detailed but from his perspective one project option cost more $ than he wanted to pay and the other project required you to already know how to crochet.  That craft session hadn’t been marked “additional fee applies” in the patter but they started adding it.  One day there was a different entry in the patter and he said that was going to be the free one, but you had to go first to get a ticket and then go back later to do the project.  Learning new crafts would be cool but we do arts and crafts at home and I do arts and crafts at work so it wound up not being a priority for us.  Zumba/dance fitness was at 9am as well.  I have never had such a “schedule” on sea days!  

Honolulu was a 32,000 step day, which is a decent number for a port day.  

The ROOKIE MISTAKE required us to be FLEXIBLE and we popped into Ubers more than planned, but we had a lovely time, tried new things, and found what we loved (and didn’t).

Part of being a two-time cancer survivor is that I have a lot of damage from the treatments.  I like to say that it affects everything and nothing in my life at the same time.  By this I mean I don’t let it hold me back from much but it does require me to be constantly considering how to handle it.  One of the reasons cruising is so enjoyable to me is because it helps me take care of my leg more easily than on many other types of vacation.  

D9EA248C-4AD4-4D67-B499-5DB69D8977C6.thumb.jpeg.69e5518be3164f294968343b7be736fc.jpeg

This is my leg wrapped up in a compression pump.  The machine is heavy and bulky but with a cruise I set it up in my cabin and it’s ready whenever I need it.  The standard treatment is one hour per day but this cruise I’ve done well with doing it morning and night most days.  If I’m writing you a long story it almost always means I’m stuck on my pump!  Since we were moved up to deck 14, OceanNow means that we can have specialty coffees delivered and I can even have yum yums to sip while I’m pumping.

Anyway this is the back story to explain why I haven’t been in the ocean much as an adult.    I’ve been in 24/7 compression my entire adult life and sometimes it’s been stockings and sometimes it’s been bandages and sometimes it’s been all sorts of things in between.  The past few years I’ve been on an upswing with my leg, in which I usually wear 5 layers of compression but with this system I can do almost anything I want (hence the triathlon racing).  So I really wanted to try to go in the water on this trip!  You will soon find out that this Alaskan does not know what she’s doing!

First, we have to talk about the ROOKIE MISTAKE.  

Ive been to Oahu several times before but I’d never been to Leahi/Diamond Head because of my perception that it was too difficult.  I also tend to ignore the #1 most popular hike in an area and do something different.  But thanks to Cruise Critic and cruise bloggers, I’ve seen mention of all sorts of people doing it and it gave me the question to look up and I realized it didn’t sound difficult at all but that it did sound 100% worth it to do.  So our plan for Honolulu was to go to Diamond Head first thing and then spend the day making our way back to the ship.

We got off the ship around 7:40 and got our Uber.

Driver:  Do you have a reservation?

Special Someone: Yes

Me: Reservation for what?

Special Someone: I reserved this Uber

Me: I don’t think that’s what she meant

Google: “drivers: do not take passengers through the gate without a reservation”

Me: Diamond Head requires reservations

Ba-bing, and you have our rookie mistake.

I looked up and saw there were reservation spots open from 1-4pm so we decided to book entry from 4-4:30pm.

Then we had to figure out what to do with our in-process Uber.  Special Someone did not have any requests or suggestions and the only thing I could think of was Kuhio Beach, which had been described as a good beginner’s beach, so we got dropped there.  I was ready to start taking my clothes off and try this whole get in the water thing, but I could tell Special Someone didn’t like it.

Me: What don’t you like?

Special Someone: It’s too commercial.

Me: (pauses to swallow exasperation): Do you understand where you are right now?

Special Someone: In the commercial center of tourism in Honolulu

Me: (big smiles and laughs because he did listen to something I said at some point). So what do you want to do instead?

Special Someone: Walk.

Me: But what about getting in the water?

Special Someone: Are there other beaches?

Me: (maybe he hasn’t listened to much I’ve said…)

EE3CE35F-AC2C-4781-B529-93890178C9E4.thumb.jpeg.2427e699ee8baf70c422a7a8c20293a4.jpeg

Edited by arctickitty
  • Like 1

Arctic Kitty,

So did Princess require passports because of the stop in Ensenada? I've heard so many different answers to questions about this that I thought I'd ask. Our passports are in the process of being renewed; we didn't expedite them because we had no immediate travel plans. Now, however, we have some older friends who are wanting to do a cruise to Hawaii (possibly at the end of March) and want us to go with them. We can't count on having our passports back in time and aren't willing to take a chance booking.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, konatyme said:

Arctic Kitty,

So did Princess require passports because of the stop in Ensenada? I've heard so many different answers to questions about this that I thought I'd ask. Our passports are in the process of being renewed; we didn't expedite them because we had no immediate travel plans. Now, however, we have some older friends who are wanting to do a cruise to Hawaii (possibly at the end of March) and want us to go with them. We can't count on having our passports back in time and aren't willing to take a chance booking.

Thanks!

Hawaii voyages are considered closed loop voyages.  Yes, you can do this without a passport.  

Do your homework on what is and isn't accepted.  Have good medical insurance in case you have to be med-vac from Ensenada (I'm always over prepared).  Hope you get your passports back in time.

• Like 1

When I had my bilateral total knee replacementssss...I had a device that iced and compressed.  It was like a small ice chest.  I can't imagine taking that on a cruise with you.  Glad you do have something that works when you travel.  

Did you get to the top of Leahi?  I remember doing this in my not so younger days on unpaved path.  If my friends had told me there were 99 steps at the end, I would never have started (they knew better).  Was it worth it?  No, there are youtube videos with great aerial shots. Plus I live there.  

• Like 1

We went surfing!  

More on that later, but it feels like the craziest thing I’ve done yet and I still haven’t calmed down from how freaking scared I was (but I hid it the entire time I was in the water).  

Meanwhile, a quick question for all of you repeat cruisers: with the tender in Lahaina, is it realistic to go to the beach early in the morning and go back to the ship to clean up?  

I was thinking that with the tenders once we get ashore we need to stay ashore.  What do you guys think?

I wear different compression garments in the water than I do on land and it’s not so hard to change into my compression to get into the water but it’s not so easy to change back when I’m wet.  

Yesterday and today we were close enough to the ship (or could ride an Uber) to get back so I could rinse all the sand off and get dry before I put my dry land compression gear back on.  I’m not sure I want to get wet in Maui if I can’t get the sand and water off me before I put my stockings back on.  I’ve just been picturing having sand stuck on me and having it ground into my skin by the compression garments and setting the stage for a medical disaster to brew…

If getting a mid-morning or mid-day tender isn’t a realistic idea, we could save the ocean until the afternoon.

22 minutes ago, arctickitty said:

We went surfing!  

More on that later, but it feels like the craziest thing I’ve done yet and I still haven’t calmed down from how freaking scared I was (but I hid it the entire time I was in the water).  

Meanwhile, a quick question for all of you repeat cruisers: with the tender in Lahaina, is it realistic to go to the beach early in the morning and go back to the ship to clean up?  

I was thinking that with the tenders once we get ashore we need to stay ashore.  What do you guys think?

I wear different compression garments in the water than I do on land and it’s not so hard to change into my compression to get into the water but it’s not so easy to change back when I’m wet.  

Yesterday and today we were close enough to the ship (or could ride an Uber) to get back so I could rinse all the sand off and get dry before I put my dry land compression gear back on.  I’m not sure I want to get wet in Maui if I can’t get the sand and water off me before I put my stockings back on.  I’ve just been picturing having sand stuck on me and having it ground into my skin by the compression garments and setting the stage for a medical disaster to brew…

If getting a mid-morning or mid-day tender isn’t a realistic idea, we could save the ocean until the afternoon.

the last time we were in Lahaina was before covid (last cruise docked at the other side of the island) we did a whale watching cruise & after I sent my sis & BIL back to the ship for lunch & stayed to wander, the tender lines were not short, but they were much better late AM/early afternoon than getting off the ship when it first opened & getting back at the end of the day...mid day it is easier, I would say if you are willing to give it an hour for lines, travel & changing on board it is doable...one thing bring a hat, there is not much shade waiting for the tender back to the ship 

Sorry for barging in on your live thread, but considering booking the Crown for HI in April and wanted to get a status report on the ship's shape.  I read where she was supposed to go into dry dock in Oct '22.  Can you report on any changes to configurations or if the ship is in pretty good shape?  I know the Crown was having bad propulsion problems and I believe some sewage blockages last summer.  Hopefully that is all fixed up now.  Thanks for any info someone may can report!! 

Tender lines for Lahaina are ridiculous (long, no shade, some water, no chairs).

But as mentioned, getting off in the morning is slow (think 2500 passengers trying to disembark to a tender).

Getting back early afternoon should be okay.  Getting off again should be okay.  Late afternoon is a zoo.

• Like 1

On the Royal in January we were tendered and on shore before 9am. We walked up Front street a couple of blocks to catch the Uber as there is always so much congestion near the tender pier. We rented beach loungers from the Kaanapali Beach Hotel ($75) which were good for all day, and included water, etc. We could also use their washroom to clean up. Had a nice lunch at their restaurant HuiHui. After that we ubered back to Lahaina and DH took the tender back, while I looked around the stores. By the time I was tendering back at 3:00 the line up and wait was huge! Apparently they had had to take a tender out of service for a bit as someone threw up on it, so stuff happens. DH had little wait at 1:30 though. My point is that returning earlier might be easier, but at the same time once we are back on the ship we never tender out again. Too much hassle. If it works for you cleaning up on shore would be better, but I get that’s it’s difficult with compression hose. 
Im really enjoying your trip report by the way!

Edited by sunviking90

Just my opinion:

There is not much of a "beach" in Lahaina Town. If you want a nice area, you need to head for a resort area.

But I am speaking strictly from a "I am not a beach person" perspective.  If you really want an ocean experience, look at a boat excursion to Molokini.  Or hop a ferry to Lanai for the day.

• Thanks 1

It will be interesting if the Crown makes a stop (and anchors) in Lahaina.  You have small craft warnings until Friday.

https://weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/1ac5e176d381bf6d47b60d639826072a13dd04cc48a8902ec1ef2379ef614f21?phenomena=SC&significance=Y&areaid=PHZ118&office=PHFO&etn=0008

Don't know where you would go since Kona would be a tender port too.  Maybe you will luck out and have a sail by the NaPali Coast.  

I am so proud of you for trying surfing (the sport of the Ali'i).  Now you should try a Big Wave...40 footer!

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It will be interesting if the Crown makes a stop (and anchors) in Lahaina.  You have small craft warnings until Friday.

https://weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/1ac5e176d381bf6d47b60d639826072a13dd04cc48a8902ec1ef2379ef614f21?phenomena=SC&significance=Y&areaid=PHZ118&office=PHFO&etn=0008

Don't know where you would go since Kona would be a tender port too.  Maybe you will luck out and have a sail by the NaPali Coast.  

I am so proud of you for trying surfing (the sport of the Ali'i).  Now you should try a Big Wave...40 footer!

would they dock on the other side of the island where we did in last Jan?

Cruise mapper has her leaving Kauai and Bridge Cam has her going to Lahaina (US JHM).  

https://www.cruisemapper.com/?imo=9293399

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:371317/mmsi:310500000/imo:9293399/vessel:CROWN_PRINCESS

3.1 m (meter/not feet) swells.

It should be an interesting tender ride into Lahaina.  Waiting for @arctickittyto give us her colorful description of the ride.  

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you to everyone for all of your Lahaina tips and comments.  I will catch up with everyone…some day…

Not sure what we are going to do in Maui…maybe ride the tender boat back and forth for a few hours…

FCC7311C-3630-4179-8A1B-BF04C63A1A19.thumb.png.b54449f7664c2b082d3e60c72376ad68.png

Thanks to the magic Marriott elevator, the afternoon’s highlight is brought to you by the nene, the Hawaiian state bird.

• Like 3

If history is your thing, Lahaina was the Kingdom of Hawaii capital way back when.  Lots of historical buildings to pop in and out of.  All the shops are the same.  But there is Lappert’s ice cream.  And I’m sure Tiki Dave told you about the shave ice place (not my favorite).  Look for some original Maui Potato chips or Manju. Last chance to visit Hilo Hattie’s for your free shell necklace/free shuttle.  

Original Maui Divers and Pacific Whale Foundation are on Front Street.  And watch for whales.  

https://www.pacificwhale.org/research/hawaii-wdt-sightings-map/

• Thanks 1