EQUINOX SAILING, DECEMBER 12th - 22nd. NO BRAG, JUST FACT

Spif Barwunkel

Safe and sound, back at the compound, following a near-perfect cruise on the Equinox. I say near-perfect because I do not believe that there can ever be...you know. The only slight inconvenience was, upon our return to Port Everglades, we did not dock at the same place from which we commenced our cruise. For those of us with personal vehicles parked at terminal 19, there was no easy way to perambulate. I'll not mention that because some of you would jump all over it as cause for negative cruise reviews. Briefly, here are some of the many positives.

Captain and crew were extremely helpful and visible, going above and beyond on many occasions. Entertainment was exceptional with Kudos to the CD and his staff for putting it all together. With few exceptions, we ate BLU food only and very much enjoyed the presentation, the flavor and the attentive service of the wait-staff. Pictures of food do not excite me so you will not get any here. Bar tenders and servers, at all venues, provided an enjoyable experience. With the exception of Martinique (private excursion) all bookings were ship's tours, and all were very satisfactory. Cabin service and cleanliness, spot on. If I have forgotten anything, consider it near-perfect.

Naturally, I speak for DW and myself only. Of our many Celebrity cruises, Equinox may very well be our favorite ship to date. This sailing was our first time on board. For those of you booked on future sailings, I wish you the most pleasant of cruises.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Safe and sound, back at the compound, following a near-perfect cruise on the Equinox. I say near-perfect because I do not believe that there can ever be...you know. The only slight inconvenience was, upon our return to Port Everglades, we did not dock at the same place from which we commenced our cruise. For those of us with personal vehicles parked at terminal 19, there was no easy way to perambulate. I'll not mention that because some of you would jump all over it as cause for negative cruise reviews. Briefly, here are some of the many positives.

Did Celebrity provide a shuttle back to the parking garage?  We are on the January 12th sailing pf the Equinox and are the only RC ship in port on that date.  However coming back both the Apex and Harmony are in port so I am assuming we will get the boot.   Just wondering how we get back to the deck. 

23 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

Did Celebrity provide a shuttle back to the parking garage?  We are on the January 12th sailing pf the Equinox and are the only RC ship in port on that date.  However coming back both the Apex and Harmony are in port so I am assuming we will get the boot.   Just wondering how we get back to the deck. 

Yes, Celebrity did provide shuttle service and it went smoothly. I just prefer doing my own thing upon final debarkation. No shuttles, buses or taxis.

1 minute ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Yes, Celebrity did provide shuttle service and it went smoothly. I just prefer doing my own thing upon final debarkation. No shuttles, buses or taxis.

Thank you for the response - we will inquire if this is the case when we are coming back.  We usually like to get off and get going on the road but we have thought about doing a few things in Naples on the way home so maybe we'll have a leisurely breakfast and take our time. 🙂

We sailed on the Equinox 4 times, 2 right before the pandemic and 2 this summer, all 4 have been excellent.

We also sailed on the Infinity in October and that cruise might have been even better except that the buffet on the Infinity lacks the variety of the Oceanview buffet on the Equinox.

Edited by MISTER 67

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

We sailed on the Equinox 4 times, 2 right before the pandemic and 2 this summer, all 4 have been excellent.

We also sailed on the Infinity in October and that cruise might have been even better except that the buffet on the Infinity lacks the variety of the Oceanview buffet on the Equinox.

Good to know, six-seven. We will board Infinity for the first time in February 2023 and brave the fickle, sometimes angry waters of Drakes Passage and Antarctica, like many before us. If she presents herself as well as Equinox did, and rough seas abound, perhaps my outward satisfied appearance will mask an otherwise scaredy-cat behavior.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubagal44 said:

What was the excursion you did in Martinique?  I have a port day there coming up in early 2024 and looking for ideas! 

Google "Karambole Tours Martinique." Click on FORT DE FRANCE - Karambole Tours. All the info you need to know. There are no other guides, Christelle is the one. Six hours, no more than 8 people, lots of goodies and a beautiful island to enjoy. She fills up fast. A credit card is required to hold your place, but no payment is charged until after the tour. You may even learn some French along the way. My DW and I tried the kissing. We are now fluent.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Google "Karambole Tours Martinique." Click on FORT DE FRANCE - Karambole Tours. All the info you need to know. There are no other guides, Christelle is the one. Six hours, no more than 8 people, lots of goodies and a beautiful island to enjoy. She fills up fast. A credit card is required to hold your place, but no payment is charged until after the tour. You may even learn some French along the way. My DW and I tried the kissing. We are now fluent.

Thanks for your glowing review!

We'll be on the Equinox  for 35 days this coming Jan and Feb.

Are there any particular waiters you'd recommend in Blu?

Also, as far as Karambole tours,  this seems to be a food tasting tour . My husband is a vegan and I am vegetarian. In your opinion would the tour suit us?

Thanks again!

16 hours ago, Islander500 said:

Thanks for your review @Spif Barwunkel

"With the exception of Martinique (private excursion) all bookings were ship's tours, and all were very satisfactory." 

Would you tell us more about the ship tours you did?  We have OBC and trying to pick one of the ship tours to do.  👩‍🦰 

I will begin by stating that we prefer tours that focus on showing off the beauty of the islands, including the gorgeous beaches, lush forests/gardens, quaint towns and prominent landmarks. We are not into beach-lounging, diving/snorkeling, or deep-sea fishing. Hence, our shore excursions are driving experiences of 4 - 7 hours in duration, various numbers of people and several stops with photo ops. That suits us. With that in mind, these are the ship's excursions that struck our fancy. All were very enjoyable, and I will list them in order of preference.

St. Lucia - The Islands Delights

Barbados - Barbados Highlights

St. Kitts - Two Island Triple Play

Antigua - Scenic Antigua and Beach

Read the descriptions of these - and others - on the Celebrity site under excursions. Hopefully you will find the one(s) that works for you. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks for your glowing review!

We'll be on the Equinox  for 35 days this coming Jan and Feb.

Are there any particular waiters you'd recommend in Blu?

Also, as far as Karambole tours,  this seems to be a food tasting tour . My husband is a vegan and I am vegetarian. In your opinion would the tour suit us?

Thanks again!

Ni Made, pronounced 'knee mahdy' and Roberto were our wait staff in BLU. We made sure that we dined at one of their tables at dinnertime. It seemed that the wonderful hostess, Yanessa, knowing our preference, made sure that a table was always left available in their section no matter what time we arrived, (usually between 6:00 to 6:30. We also took good care of her. If these fine people had been up for adoption, proceedings would currently be in the works.

The tour does include food tasting, but not in the sense that one might assume. You do not go from town to town, eating place to eating place partaking of the fare. Christelle provides the finger food, and drink, consisting of local favorites and offers participants the opportunity to partake at some of the photo stops. You are certainly not obligated to indulge, and she will certainly not be offended if you do not. On occasion, I chose not to partake. 

This is a scenic island tour of Martinique provided by a knowledgeable, vivacious young lady who is proud of her home and heritage. The snack food is her extra added attraction.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel

13 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Ni Made, pronounced 'knee mahdy' and Roberto were our wait staff in BLU. We made sure that we dined at one of their tables at dinnertime. It seemed that the wonderful hostess, Yanessa, knowing our preference, made sure that a table was always left available in their section no matter what time we arrived, (usually between 6:00 to 6:30. We also took good care of her. If these fine people had been up for adoption, proceedings would currently be in the works.

The tour does include food tasting, but not in the sense that one might assume. You do not go from town to town, eating place to eating place partaking of the fare. Christelle provides the finger food, and drink, consisting of local favorites and offers participants the opportunity to partake at some of the photo stops. You are certainly not obligated to indulge, and she will certainly not be offended if you do not. On occasion, I chose not to partake. 

This is a scenic island tour of Martinique provided by a knowledgeable, vivacious young lady who is proud of her home and heritage. The snack food is her extra added attraction.

Thanks - we'll look for them in Blu. Our favorite waiter and host from pre-Covid have moved on to other things so your recommendations are much appreciated.

Did your tour stop, by any chance, at the Jardin de Balata Botanic Gardens? It's someplace we have wanted to visit but have had trouble finding tours there.

9 minutes ago, chamima said:

Thanks - we'll look for them in Blu. Our favorite waiter and host from pre-Covid have moved on to other things so your recommendations are much appreciated.

Did your tour stop, by any chance, at the Jardin de Balata Botanic Gardens? It's someplace we have wanted to visit but have had trouble finding tours there.

We drove past the Gardens but did not stop You could inquire as to that possibility. There is a ship's tour that does include the Gardens. 

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 12/23/2022 at 2:58 PM, Spif Barwunkel said:

Based on the Cruise Critic reviews we did our tour with Karambole on our first visit to Martinique on our 11.30.23 Equonox Cruise.  All the good reviews are true she is great and would highly recommend. fyi