Pre or Post From Civitavecchia Other Than Rome

martyap

Any suggestions of where to spend pre or post other than Rome. We have been to Rome a number of times. Possibly 4-5 days. Was thinking of possibly Milan/Lake Como via train and then fly back to JFK from Milan. That might be a little far. I know there are destinations that we could reach if we rented a car in Civitavecchia but not sure if that’s in my wheelhouse…..have not driven in Europe in many years. This is for May 2024 so plenty of time to decide.

thank you and happy holidays

11 hours ago, martyap said:

Any suggestions of where to spend pre or post other than Rome. We have been to Rome a number of times. Possibly 4-5 days. Was thinking of possibly Milan/Lake Como via train and then fly back to JFK from Milan. That might be a little far. I know there are destinations that we could reach if we rented a car in Civitavecchia but not sure if that’s in my wheelhouse…..have not driven in Europe in many years. This is for May 2024 so plenty of time to decide.

thank you and happy holidays

Tuscany 

We decided on Lucca for our early summer trip. Will take a train there from the port and then back to Rome to fly home.  It’s a very walkable walled little town and you can take a bus or train to nearby sites, if you want. We have an Airbnb apartment for 4 days. Never been before but had a friend who lived there and seems lovely. 

Are you looking for a city stay or a countryside one?  Is sea- or water-side important?

One thought is Cinque Terre.  It's kind of a mess as a day trip but lovely if you stay there, in the evenings when the day trippers leave it's quite different.  In terms of train time, it's about the same five and a half hours to either MXP or FCO from there, so you could choose whatever flight is best for you.  In any case you'd need to travel to the airport the night before.

We have taken the train to Orvieto, rented a car at the train station & stayed for 3 days at Antica Olivia - agriturisimo.  Then did several days excursions.  Loved it! And away from the hustle of Rome.   Also Tuscany is great, as is Lucca.  Last trip we booked hotel by Fumicino & loved the slow pace next to the ocean with fabulous walking, restaurants & great prices.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the great ideas. More interested in countryside than beach and this will be early May, not summer. We have been to La Spezia, Porto Venere and Cinque Terre but not to stay over and the day crowds are far from appealing. Lucca is an option so will look at that. Another option is to base in Rome and do a few day trips to Florence, Ovieto, etc. Lots of research to do. I have driven in Europe many years ago when we went with friends…….this trip is just the two of us and would feel better with public transportation.

Happy Holidays

2 hours ago, martyap said:

Thanks for the great ideas. More interested in countryside than beach and this will be early May, not summer. We have been to La Spezia, Porto Venere and Cinque Terre but not to stay over and the day crowds are far from appealing. Lucca is an option so will look at that. Another option is to base in Rome and do a few day trips to Florence, Ovieto, etc. Lots of research to do. I have driven in Europe many years ago when we went with friends…….this trip is just the two of us and would feel better with public transportation.

Happy Holidays

If you use the high speed trains, Florence is only about 90 minutes from Rome and makes for a satisfying daytrip, as you can leave Rome early and come back late. (I've arrived back in Rome as late as 11:00 pm-ish and still plenty of taxis at the rank if needed to get back to your hotel.

Orvieto and Tivoli also make great day trips from Rome although it's not quite a "straight shot" if doing on your own (e.g., might need to take train + bus to get to destination). Reasonable day tours are offered by many companies in Rome with hotel pick-up as well.

If you like ruins, Ostia Antica is an EASY train ride from Rome to the site (which is actually quite near FCO airport). When you get off the train, you're only an easy 800-yard walk to the entrance:   https://www.rometoolkit.com/whattodo/ostia_antica.html

On 12/25/2022 at 2:02 PM, buckeye7 said:

We decided on Lucca for our early summer trip. Will take a train there from the port and then back to Rome to fly home.  It’s a very walkable walled little town and you can take a bus or train to nearby sites, if you want. We have an Airbnb apartment for 4 days. Never been before but had a friend who lived there and seems lovely. 

I loved Lucca.  Good choice for a base for a few days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, CoolChange37 said:

Does anyone know if there is a Wine/Lunch and sightseeing tour to Tuscany from Rome that we can use a recommended private tour company for?   There is 10 of us with a full day/evening unplanned for October.   TIA.

https://www.romeinlimo.com/rome-surroundings/tuscany-wine-tour.htm