Another Financial Hit For NCL Today

JT1962

19 minutes ago, shof515 said:

which NCL ship docked in Cuba? I remember a few Royal and Carnival ships docked there

This article is about the NCL corporation and NCL other brands like Oceania and Regent

Sun & Sky for sure. 

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/local/2018/05/04/norwegian-cruise-line-cruise-port-canaveral-cuba-start-monday/579993002/

https://privilegestravel.com/promos/ncl-cuba-cruise-promo/

Edited by JT1962

30 minutes ago, shof515 said:

which NCL ship docked in Cuba? I remember a few Royal and Carnival ships docked there

This article is about the NCL corporation and NCL other brands like Oceania and Regent

Correct.  It's not just "NCL".

That linked article shows a file photo of "U.S. Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings cruise ship Marina arrives at the Havana bay, Cuba March 9, 2017", although they don't mention "Oceania".

GC

Just and FYI on what the issue is about.  IMO, with different rulings and with all cruise lines that used Cuban ports and docks, would seem to head toward appeal for NCL.

1.  It is about compensation prior owners of private property seized by the Cuban government and subsequently "used, and how to compensate the original owners."

https://www.steptoe.com/en/news-publications/helms-burton-act-update.html

"Title III of the Helms-Burton Act — a unique provision of a federal law passed in 1996 that provides the owners of claims to property confiscated by the Cuban government during the Cuban revolution a private cause of action against any entity that is "trafficking" (broadly defined to include a range of commercial activity and joint ventures) in that confiscated property."

"Claims have since been brought by a range of plaintiffs, including both corporations and the descendants of individuals who are the "rightful owners" of the confiscated property, against a range of defendants, including both domestic and foreign companies in industries spanning mining, tourism/hospitality, and tobacco whose business intersects with Cuba."

2.  This case is by Havana Docks Corp (as the former private owner of the port) which also has active in pending cases against all cruise lines that sailed Cuba for a brief period.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2022/12/norwegian-cruise-line-pay-110-million-in-cuba-court-case/

"The case, ongoing for some time, was ruled in favor of the Havana Docks Corp., that essentially argued that the cruise line’s use of the Havana port “constituted trafficking in confiscated property” as the port is a Cold-War asset seizure.  It is unclear whether NCLH will or can appeal the nine-figure ruling. Havana Docks Corp. also is said to have pending cases against Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Group and MSC Cruises."

3.  In another case 7/13/202, with less clear direct prior title (ownership line passed down interest), the Judge ruled for Carnival and such was thought to be "precedent setting" ** going forward.

https://cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/2020/07/judge-rules-for-carnival-in-cuba-case/

“The decision is precedent setting and will affect not only other Helms-Burton Act cases against Cruise Lines, but will stand as a decision that all Helms-Burton litigants will come to know. “

** apparently not "precedent setting!"

The Carnival Case was an individual that claimed they owned part of the dock vs a company that I am pretty sure can show ownership of the property.  This is not that unusual I believe people have sued other entities and governments for damages and won.  I believe that Iran had the issue when the Shah was overthrown and the assets were seized.

It would make sense for the cruise lines to settle the claims out of court depending on how strong the case is.  If the case is appealed and tied up for a few years they will owe the interest on the amount plus increased legal fees.  Pony up pay a smaller amount and settle with the other cruise lines would make the most sense to me.  They know or should have known they were breaking the law when they did it so I would sure like to see what their actual defense was other than questioning if Havana docks was the legal owner and that Cuba seized the assets.

This more points to Congress passing a law and then a President or several Presidents deciding not to enforce the law so everyone then ignores it!

On 12/30/2022 at 5:47 PM, shof515 said:

We were on the Sun in 2018 on a cruise that docked in Cuba.

I'm Cuban-American so naturally have very strong opinion about the subject. The cruise lines knew that the travel categories that Obama allowed to travel to Cuba didn't include tourism. The cruise lines asked the passengers to fill out a form certifying under what category they were traveling to Cuba. I can guarantee that nearly every passenger lied as it is very difficult to believe that you go to a port on a cruise ship for purposes other than tourism. I wonder how those certifications/form/visa will come into play. 

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, Back to school said:

Pocket change. Rounding.  Chump change. Zero changing valuation.  “Another financial hit” What’s the agenda?

But I was told NCL and other cruise lines have to raise prices and raise gratuity (instead of salary) because they are so distraught financially still from COVID.