A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

20 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

It was awesome!  Especially since I like to explore on my own and wasn’t forced to stay with the SS group.  

Our mid-voyage land experience was one night in Hanoi (wild) and two nights in Siem Reap (fascinating).  Angkor Wat is huge, spread out over 150+ square miles.  So, it’s nice that you’ll have three nights there to hopefully explore more than just the highlights.

We rejoined the ship in Bangkok where we also spent one night, just like the song said. 😉

Thanks.

Stumblefoot is spot on!  Fantastic experience but know its very very hot.  The day goes from hot at sunrise, to hotter to hottest.  Be prepared and push through.  If have the stamina do make a point of seeing sunrise & sunset at various temples.  

I would also add there is, obviously, not just the main temple complex but there are a series of incredible outer lying areas with magnificent temples.

• Like 1

Indeed it is worthwhile. It is one of those places that is a must see. We did it though on a land trip and were really lucky as the the driver of the taxi assigned to us spoke perfect English and we used him as our guide for 3 days. He turned out to be excellent knowing the best times to visit the many areas. For example took us to the furthest temple early in the morning so we had the place to ourselves and went back to the main temple complex at 1230 as the tour groups would all be at lunch. He was right with only a handful of others for the first hour then by 2pm a real horde.

There are a lot of reports on various travel sites of others having a great experience with taxi or tuk tuk drivers. So it might be a good idea to do a search in view of @Stumblefoot saying you can tour on your own. It could be well worth it.

• Like 2

Far be it from me to be contrary, but my view is more akin to drron29's. If I had not been to Vietnam before I'd do that country, as thoroughly as possible, before venturing to Angkor Wat. Therefore, I'd stay ship based. Vietnam is amongst the best of tourist destinations and deserves a lot of attention. I'd save Angkor Wat for a land-based tour. There is just so much to see in Angkor Wat. I'd also check the price before making a decision. These add on tours from Silversea can require a second mortgage.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, turtlemichael said:

Far be it from me to be contrary, but my view is more akin to drron29's. If I had not been to Vietnam before I'd do that country, as thoroughly as possible, before venturing to Angkor Wat. Therefore, I'd stay ship based. Vietnam is amongst the best of tourist destinations and deserves a lot of attention. I'd save Angkor Wat for a land-based tour. There is just so much to see in Angkor Wat. I'd also check the price before making a decision. These add on tours from Silversea can require a second mortgage.

We also enjoyed Vietnam on our two past visits and we're looking forward to the new port on this cruise.  I think it really boils down to what you find most attractive or fascinating or interesting.   We visited Bagan and really loved that experience.   It's all in the eye of the beholder.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, turtlemichael said:

If I had not been to Vietnam before I'd do that country, as thoroughly as possible, before venturing to Angkor Wat.

I hear what you are saying, and certainly had never been to Vietnam before, but in our case it was as either two sea days or two nights in Angkor Wat.  No brainer as we didn’t miss any stops in Vietnam.

• Like 4

I'm going to go off-piste for a moment.  Every year I submit wishes to the Wishing Wall.

https://www.timessquarenyc.org/whats-happening/nye-wishing-wall#wish

"Your wishes will be added to the confetti that flutters down in the heart of Times Square on New Year's Eve! Each year, people from around the planet include their wishes for the new year on pieces of official Times Square New Year's Eve confetti, either digitally or in person."

2022-Wishing-Wall-nye-2023-photo-by-Ian-hardy.jpg.d08be42cfdefc1c8c634e718cb3aaf54.jpg

And here is the wish I submitted which will drop in Times Square on December 31, 2023.

Capture.JPG.a207fe0cfe6ac07cf42d846d2192c2df.JPG

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, JoGay said:

It looks there is a day in Da Nang, but no time in Ho Chi Minh City.

If you are interested @JoGay here are links to my blog for our visits to Ho Chi Minh City in 2016 and 2019......

Mekong Delta excursion 2016 - https://mpworldcruise.blogspot.com/2016/03/day-68-ho-chi-minh-city-vietnam.html

https://mpworldexploration2019.blogspot.com/2019/03/day-68ho-chi-minh-city-saigon-vietnam.html

Good Evening Saigon -  https://mpworldexploration2019.blogspot.com/2019/03/day-68ho-chi-minh-city-saigon-contd.html

https://mpworldexploration2019.blogspot.com/2019/03/day-69ho-chi-minh-city-saigon-vietnam.html

We would be in Cairns on Saturday March 2nd and Sunday March 3rd.   A wonderful friend sent me a link to markets in Cairns.  Thank you for this! There are some interesting options.

http://Rusty's Markets - https://rustysmarkets.com.au/

"Rusty’s Market is one of the most successful and well-known markets in Australia and abroad.
From modest beginnings in 1975 of only half-a-dozen stalls, Rusty’s has grown into a bustling three-day event, renown for its carnival atmosphere and colourful stallholders."

Friday – Saturday: 5am to 6pm
Sunday: 5am to 3pm

Address: 57-89 Grafton Street, Cairns City
Distance from Cairns Centre: 1 minute

Captured.JPG.74185e9e52746097d4c1854445475975.JPG

Night Markets & Food Court - https://www.nightmarkets.com.au/

"Come and visit the World Famous Cairns Night Markets & Food Court, there is something for everyone. Licensed restaurant's for a cold beer or a glass of wine with your dinner from the menu food court choices. We even have a good choice of Chinese massages operating from 12 noon every day to make the aches and pains of all the Night Time Shopping just disappear., and don't forget we are fully Air-conditioned.

Open every day of the year from 4:30 pm for the Cairns Night markets & Shopping, or 10am for the Food Court till late. We never close. We are the first Night Markets in Australia. Our shops often change, so although you may have visited us in the past call in again and you may be surprised what we have on offer from our 70 plus markets shops for some great last minute shopping before you fly out of Cairns.

About the NIGHT market
In 1991, Hayden Redfern and Elise Warring noticed the increasing demand from tourists to purchase locally made goods so they set about creating an open air market in Cairns. The creators drew their inspiration from the open air markets in Hawaii and South East Asia, but underestimated the popularity they would have with both locals and tourists alike. They temporarily gave the space a term of six months with only 28 vendors but soon they had over 100 vendors knocking on their door. Today We have 131 stall locations in the complex we attracting  2.7 million people annually.

Each night when the sun sets, Cairns Night Markets come alive. Featuring over seventy retail outlets and home to a myriad of food options, Cairns Night Markets are the perfect place to grab dinner and hunt for a bargain. The hustle and bustle of the market in the open air setting makes for an electrifying shopping experience."

Capturej.JPG.10d3be9fb5a976fc9283660e8b3c06c9.JPG

Vendors - these caught my eye....

Capturef.JPG.5d114866a8e7c7a219e51c623d80235b.JPG

Captureg.JPG.11bc9da6d131169cff9b289105f6732f.JPG

Captureh.JPG.9747fc9fa3b0158073cf6e6702ff25da.JPG

Capturei.JPG.d935a3672a197078a94cefde7d05482f.JPG

Map.thumb.JPG.15e2d478d2a57870d7fe37c383ebed37.JPG

Exactly - we girls know China is not a country we should be supporting, but then most of the world would have difficulty in getting hold of all their needs without using products from China, or companies relying on Chinese financial input.  Sad but true.  So a bit of cheapish jewellery is not going to make a huge difference.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, mysty said:

Birds of a feather @highplanesdrifters ! 😁  And I make no apologies for my preferences! 😁

Yes'm!

Mini hijack for shiny things. Currently at a trade show.  Mother nature at her finest.

20230916_160513.jpg

20230916_160350.thumb.jpg.1da137d6db8f9bab44896aef20926a4b.jpg

20230916_155720.thumb.jpg.281f23014b35fa7d5e3f7c777ab095e3.jpg

20230916_160338.thumb.jpg.2a787d810388e9d7f341a160e8a01f44.jpg

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Yes'm!

Mini hijack for shiny things. Currently at a trade show.  Mother nature at her finest.

20230916_160513.jpg

20230916_160350.thumb.jpg.1da137d6db8f9bab44896aef20926a4b.jpg

20230916_155720.thumb.jpg.281f23014b35fa7d5e3f7c777ab095e3.jpg

20230916_160338.thumb.jpg.2a787d810388e9d7f341a160e8a01f44.jpg

There really should be a WOW button here.  Spectacular!  And no worries about hijacking!  Keep in mind my regular stomping ground! 😅

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

I Too am the proud owner of very many shiny things that were, very possibly hand crafted by orphans in a work house. Shiny things make me smile.

They make me smile too DW! 🥰  There is a paucity of joy in our world.   We need to celebrate and savour it wherever we find it! 

• Like 5