A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

I'm sorry to hear that you went through that experience.  My concern is not about catching the nasty.  My slight worry is related to countries getting stringent about their borders and their requirements for testing.  It will be what it will be of course.  😉

• Like 2

Strange to say this Mysty: the only country being over-the-top stringent was Chile when we visited Easter Island (thousands of miles from Chile).  Chilean Immigration insisted on reviewing each Covid vax card AND all passengers were required to take an antigen swab test 24 hours before our visit.

Going ashore in many countries and ports required temperatures to be taken just off the ship in arrival centers.  But while on land we were never questioned or requested to produce proof of vaccination and boosters.  Japan refused to allow the ship entrance to a number of ports so the itinerary was reshuffled. Japan was the only country that did so - its policy has changed so we should be welcome next spring.

Of course, if there is major outbreak, circumstances will change.  Friends in Paris and London report a considerable rise in Covid cases.  What happens with the onset of cold weather in the Northern Hemisphere and Europe - where people stay inside - over the next six months is anyone's guess.

We are getting the new Pfizer booster in two weeks.

• Like 2

To add: we cannot affect the weather or local politics. We can only hope for the best and roll with the worst if it happens.

Should sea conditions or the virus - or local unrest in Peru - mandate a change in our itinerary, so be it.   We cannot control such "exogenous" factors.  So we will muddle through for five months!🙂 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wristband said:

To add: we cannot affect the weather or local politics. We can only hope for the best and roll with the worst if it happens.

Should sea conditions or the virus - or local unrest in Peru - mandate a change in our itinerary, so be it.   We cannot control such "exogenous" factors.  So we will muddle through for five months!🙂 

Agreed @wristband !  There are many factors beyond our control. It seems, however,  that these factors have increased in number over the years.  Going forward with the glass full else we would lose the joy found in the anticipation! 😁

5 minutes ago, wristband said:

Hey Mysty, will you have a celebration onboard after you hit 10,000 CC posts?

That will be quite an achievement!

LOL, yes!  Will you come?  😁  I think that it just means I talk a lot!  It does seem like a very good reason to party though, don't you think?  😉

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, wristband said:

If you provide Free Drinks for everyone attending the Opening Gala I will be so there! 

Uh, wait a sec Mysty.  Drinks are supposedly "included." 

But we can still celebrate with a Shadow-wide party!

@wristband, you have been a wonderful asset to this thread!  I really enjoy your wit!  So for you, there will be something special!  😁  And yes, we can celebrate with a Shadow-wide!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wristband said:

Hey Mysty, will you have a celebration onboard after you hit 10,000 CC posts?

That will be quite an achievement!

2 hours ago, mysty said:

LOL, yes!  Will you come?  😁  I think that it just means I talk a lot!  It does seem like a very good reason to party though, don't you think?  😉

Not far behind you, M! But I'll happily raise a glass to you when you hit that number.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Ive a feeling that you may hit the milestone a good way before boarding M. In fact I'd bet a round of drinks for everyone onboard it might be before the end of this month!  

😅😅😅  Well, DW, I did admit that I talk a lot.  I find that interaction with relatively sane folks gives me fuel to carry on!  😀

18 minutes ago, mysty said:

😅😅😅  Well, DW, I did admit that I talk a lot.  I find that interaction with relatively sane folks gives me fuel to carry on!  😀

And in the words of Neddie Seagoon -"I'm as sane as the next fellow."

Eccles -"little does he know that I am the next fellow'

For our UK Goon tragics.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

And here I thought it was my insanity that was entertaining. 😃

I will be virtually toasting you, perhaps more than once. 🥂

Thank you @highplanesdrifters !  Your "insanity" is very entertaining! 😁  However,  using the "mysty scale of sanity", you would score much closer to "relative sanity" than the "in".

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

With all the time you spend on CC, when do you have time for that?

The really good thing is that most of the relatively sane folks available for interaction are here on Cruise Critic.   😅  I don't have to wander too far from the Cooler and the comfort of my bar stool to be entertained and mentally stimulated. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Who decides who is which?

Lola  (fairly insane, but treated with kindness and understanding)

Well Lola, I'm not sure if the lay person can make an accurate assessment.   Which is why I have developed my own. 😅  If by my sliding scale a person rates the "insane" category,  that's what I go with.   And even "fairly" insane is not your mysty mental health score.  It's more like quirky, fun-loving and independent-minded.   😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On our second visit to Hong Kong in 2016 we were docked at Ocean Terminal.  We had an easy walk to view the Symphony of Lights from a vantage point near the Clock Tower.  It is a lovely show.

https://www.discoverhongkong.com/ca/explore/attractions/choreographing-the-symphony-of-lights.html

Here is a photo from that visit.

DSC01937.JPG.a8e84455b4cfea9284ea9bee74cd7a16.JPG

We are scheduled to be docked at Ocean Terminal for our visit in April 2024.

Capture.JPG.5497da377fa44262cb75f7ef0dffbc41.JPG

https://www.nextstophongkong.com/symphony-of-lights/#best-location

"Where are best viewing locations to enjoy A Symphony of Lights Show?
Since this laser show takes place on both sides of the Victoria Harbour, the best ways to enjoy the light show are either staying along and close to the Victoria Harbour or having a harbour tour and enjoying the views of both sides at the same time. The laser and light beams are also visible from the Peak, some harbour-view rooms as well as rooftop bars.

Since both sides of Victoria Harbour have landmark buildings involved in the laser show. It can be watched on the waterfronts of both Hong Kong Island and Tsim Sha Tsui. But there are only few locations having speakers installed and you can enjoy the laser show along with the beautiful selected music.

In Tsim Sha Tsui (recommended): the best location is at Tsim Sha Tsui Promenade, between Hong Kong Art Museum (under
renovation) and Clock Tower. On Hong Kong Island: the best location is at Golden Bauhinia Square"

The Clock Tower is about an 8 minute walk away.
Map.JPG.d192749948b1f7db0f1713d3aba1e6ad.JPG

On that same visit we took a ship excursion called Kowloon Culture.  We visited the Bird Market.  Dog and cats are not very popular pets in Hong Kong because space is at a premium.  Many people choose birds instead.

DSC01958.JPG.fc5e425007de1f64bf610b9424c7a809.JPG

We also visited the flower market.  This was an absolute delight.  Explosions of vibrant colours.

DSC01978.JPG.2282e73a1dbe5d5f8b22c8c3e6b4908f.JPG

• Like 3

Silversea is starting to plan the 2027 World Cruise.  Myster and I received an email survey from them asking for input.  A number of questions were asked and then 3 potential routes were presented.  We were asked various questions on each of the routes and then asked to pick the most appealing one.  For your information, here are the 3 routes:

Route 1

2027route1.JPG.da8802ae99988807321953c084b076e0.JPG

Route 2

2027Route2.JPG.2bf86748f2ba76b40c6a499598577da2.JPG

Route 3

2027Route3.JPG.8c171a803927bcb4ec4464d09e5ba7fc.JPG

Myster preferred Route 1 and I preferred Route 2.

Which would you folks choose?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

Silversea is starting to plan the 2027 World Cruise.  Myster and I received an email survey from them asking for input.  A number of questions were asked and then 3 potential routes were presented.  We were asked various questions on each of the routes and then asked to pick the most appealing one.  For your information, here are the 3 routes:

Route 1

2027route1.JPG.da8802ae99988807321953c084b076e0.JPG

Route 2

2027Route2.JPG.2bf86748f2ba76b40c6a499598577da2.JPG

Route 3

2027Route3.JPG.8c171a803927bcb4ec4464d09e5ba7fc.JPG

Myster preferred Route 1 and I preferred Route 2.

Which would you folks choose?

I like route 3 because I would love to see Africa.  I have been to Tanzania, but no place else.  I also like route 1 because I have never been to South America.

• Like 1