A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

11 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

maybe its time to understand Samoa

sad to admit I don't

understand that part of our country

Just to be clear—this isn’t American Samoa. It’s Samoa which is fully independent. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday Myster and I went to a Lunch and Learn with Chef & Culinary Trainer David Bilsland.

image6(3).jpeg.670e61ef0dc3083ab54ffaef5c56dee5.jpeg

Seared Scallops....

image1(10).jpeg.05abfb828afb7369ed60c88c2be12adf.jpeg

Lamb Three Ways.....

image0(9).jpeg.42c82c00515ac7848346abb8c78ddb27.jpeg

Beautiful lunch and lovely wine pairings!

• Like 11

Captain just announced an update.   It seems that the Authorities are reluctant to clear the ship while at anchor.   The ship will begin repositioning to the pier beginning at 5:00 pm.  It is currently 3:58 pm here.  Then the Authorities will board to clear the ship.  Captain was very apologetic and a little frustrated.   We'll see how this goes. 

• Like 2

Mysty - I see that Seabourn Sojourn was/is docked where you are?  Maybe she has to move before you can go in?  (One of my favourite ships).

• Like 1

About 5 days ago I gave our awesome butler a photo and a recipe for our special request dinner for this segment.   It is Sapasui with chicken...a Samoan chop suey.  It is being served in our suite at 6:00 pm.  Interestingly,  Sapa Sui is available tonight in the Restaurant.   That version is beef.  We'll see which we get.  😁

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Mysty - I see that Seabourn Sojourn was/is docked where you are?  Maybe she has to move before you can go in?  (One of my favourite ships).

Yes Lola, you are correct!  Once she moves we can take her place.  However,  the Silver Shadow was supposed to be cleared at anchor this morning and that didn't happen.  Hence the frustration of the Captain. 

• Like 2

Sorry about the funny gap.   And the frustration with the authorities, in such a fascinating part of the world.  Do tell about your dinner, a dish I had never heard of, but it should be a special occasion dining in style, in your suite.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I find it hard to get my head round conversing with you on the other side of the world, when it is 4 in the morning here.  (For free).  The modern world is truly amazing.

Lola

I remember when we had to wait until late to get the cheaper long-distance rates.  So 4 in the morning always was a perfect time! 😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Mysty - I see that Seabourn Sojourn was/is docked where you are?  Maybe she has to move before you can go in?  (One of my favourite ships)

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Here’s the Sojourn leaving!!

IMG_5429.jpeg

IMG_5424.jpeg

IMG_5414.jpeg

IMG_5415.jpeg

• Like 9

Shadow is now at dock.  The meal in suite was delicious.  It was beef and not chicken.   I'm fairly sure it was exactly what was on offer in the Restaurant tonight.   What a coincidence! 😅  A photo will follow tomorrow. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, mysty said:

Shadow is now at dock.  The meal in suite was delicious.  It was beef and not chicken.   I'm fairly sure it was exactly what was on offer in the Restaurant tonight.   What a coincidence! 😅  A photo will follow tomorrow. 

On one cruise we had ordered a special meal. That night the entire special meal we ordered was the meal they offered on the menu in The Restaurant. Didn’t make us feel “special”. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CASHIPman said:

On one cruise we had ordered a special meal. That night the entire special meal we ordered was the meal they offered on the menu in The Restaurant. Didn’t make us feel “special”. 

It did feel like a bit of a letdown.   Of course,  that dish could well have been planned before I submitted my request.  😁

2 hours ago, mysty said:

It did feel like a bit of a letdown.   Of course,  that dish could well have been planned before I submitted my request.  😁

OR  Mystys  special  request   became the " meal of the night "  knowing her  SS reputation !  🥂💗🥂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Maybe I'm naive, but my thought was that since they had to make it for Mysty they decided to make more and offer it to everybody.  So Mysty was even more special, because she created the night's 'special.'

[My Mother was a baker in the WAC, and after she died we found a file of her WAC recipes.  Lemon Meringue Pie:  squeeze 120 lemons...  Hard to scale that down to 1 pie!!!]

• Like 5

Yes, you could argue that.  However, I wonder if she and Myster would have preferred to have it in the dining room, or if in fact the whole meal was more enjoyable for being in their own little world?  I believe  that the chefs do take special orders, with notice, for the dining room, they certainly do on other lines. Then your table is the only one getting it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Maybe I'm naive, but my thought was that since they had to make it for Mysty they decided to make more and offer it to everybody.  So Mysty was even more special, because she created the night's 'special.'

[My Mother was a baker in the WAC, and after she died we found a file of her WAC recipes.  Lemon Meringue Pie:  squeeze 120 lemons...  Hard to scale that down to 1 pie!!!]

But Mysty wanted chicken, IIRC and the kitchen served her, Mystyr and everyone in The Restaurant beef?

• Like 1

I am ashamed to say that amongst all the other memories of Fiji and all those lovely islands one thing that made me feel good was being quite a small person when amongst the local ladies, as opposed to tall with big feet.  I suspect Mysty will feel positively  tiny when ashore.  Quite a contrast with Hong Kong where I felt like a giant, and there were no shoes in my size.

I hope you have idyllic visits to this very different part of the world, Mysty and your fellow travellers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

WAC? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

WAC? 

A more contemporary reference from Cheap Trick:

"Father says your mother's right

She's really up on things

Before we married Mommy served

In the WACs in the Philippines

Now I had heard the WACs recruited

Old maids for the war

But Mommy isn't one of those