Navigator APP on Android LG K20v

CruiserKris34

• 5 months later...

I had to buy a new phone. 😁  Other apps on my older Android no longer worked, so I took it as a sign that I needed to upgrade.  

I don't know how Navigator support can help if the older system doesn't support the newer version of the app.  

On 12/31/2022 at 5:36 PM, CruiserKris34 said:

LG K20v

I just looked up the phone and it was released in March of 2017. First, congratulations that it still works. Second, it's probably been out of update support for 3 years, so you'll run into issues with newer apps across the board. I absolutely hate upgrading my phone, but I've had to accept that 3-4 years is all I'm going to get out of a phone.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Roz said:

I had to buy a new phone. 😁  Other apps on my older Android no longer worked, so I took it as a sign that I needed to upgrade.  

I don't know how Navigator support can help if the older system doesn't support the newer version of the app.  

I know it’s time to upgrade when the apps start failing. 

• Like 1

I get the same message from the Play Store.  I have emailed Navigator support twice with no response.  I see there is an APK download for the Navigator app but I don't really know what that is, what it does or how it works.  Is anyone familiar with APK?

Edited by tlwaggs
typo

1 hour ago, tlwaggs said:

I don't really know what that is, what it does or how it works.

https://www.lifewire.com/apk-file-4152929

APK file is an Android Package Kit, which is just the software to run the APP.  If the APK file is not in Google Play and you are not sure what you are doing, then I would respectfully suggest that you do not download it and either forget about Navigator or update your device/phone.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

https://www.lifewire.com/apk-file-4152929

APK file is an Android Package Kit, which is just the software to run the APP.  If the APK file is not in Google Play and you are not sure what you are doing, then I would respectfully suggest that you do not download it and either forget about Navigator or update your device/phone.  

Thanks.  I was afraid that would be the answer.  I like my phone but I think it would drive me crazy to not have the app.  I have a Samsung Note 8 but I don't think they make the Note anymore.

Interesting topic.  And, fascinated by all of it to be honest. 

My phone (although not LG) is an android smartphone.  And, made by Samsung.  My phone is about 5.5 years old.  I removed the NavApp last year after I took my cruise.  THEN, 4 weeks ago I attempted to install the NavApp again as I was going to sail on Eurodam on May 20. 

Google Play Store did not allow me to do so.  Saying it was not "supported", etc, etc. 

Friend of mine suggested "download an OLDER version of the app".  I did so, and worked Juuuuust fine.  I was kind of in the same boat (no pun intended), and considering upgrading my phone.  Did not have to.  Whew:::::::::

So, that was that.

----MisterMatthew

21 minutes ago, MisterMatthew said:

Interesting topic.  And, fascinated by all of it to be honest. 

My phone (although not LG) is an android smartphone.  And, made by Samsung.  My phone is about 5.5 years old.  I removed the NavApp last year after I took my cruise.  THEN, 4 weeks ago I attempted to install the NavApp again as I was going to sail on Eurodam on May 20. 

Google Play Store did not allow me to do so.  Saying it was not "supported", etc, etc. 

Friend of mine suggested "download an OLDER version of the app".  I did so, and worked Juuuuust fine.  I was kind of in the same boat (no pun intended), and considering upgrading my phone.  Did not have to.  Whew:::::::::

So, that was that.

----MisterMatthew

Where did you find an older version of Navigator?

I realize we all have our own budgets and priorities.  For those of you who have older phones that don't support the latest version of Navigator, for not a whole lot more than what you paid for your current phone, you can buy a new phone that's significantly better. 

My new phone is 5G and I can make phone calls and send texts over wifi. The tipping point for me was when my banking app would no longer work on my old phone. 

I would never put an app on my phone that I didn't get from the Google Play store. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I realize we all have our own budgets and priorities.  For those of you who have older phones that don't support the latest version of Navigator, for not a whole lot more than what you paid for your current phone, you can buy a new phone that's significantly better. 

My new phone is 5G and I can make phone calls and send texts over wifi. The tipping point for me was when my banking app would no longer work on my old phone. 

I would never put an app on my phone that I didn't get from the Google Play store. 

I have only downloaded apps from the Google Play store.  I am hoping HAL has maybe an older version I can download.  Of course I have to get a response from them first.  It just irks me that a cruise app is the tipping point to get a new phone.  But I might start running into other apps that I have trouble with soon.

15 minutes ago, tlwaggs said:

But I might start running into other apps that I have trouble with soon.

You will. 😁

If it's too much of a lift for you to get a new phone, you can always limp along on your cruise without the app.  Right now it's more of a convenience than a necessity, but going forward, I see that changing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roz said:

You will. 😁

If it's too much of a lift for you to get a new phone, you can always limp along on your cruise without the app.  Right now it's more of a convenience than a necessity, but going forward, I see that changing. 

It would drive me crazy if I didn't have the app. 

• Like 1