Discovery Princess vs NCL Encore for Alaska in June

ski_mom

We have a cruise booked on the NCL Encore for the end of June this summer. I'm debating switching to the Discovery Princess due to pricing. 

As background, the trip is being funded by my mother and the travel party will consist of 10 people, "grandma" (79), me, my sister and our spouses (ages 45-55) and our 5 kids (ages 14-26).
We have 4 balcony cabins booked (2 for 2 people and 2 for 3 people each).

The price difference is right at $8,000. We are going the week of June 25th and all ports are the same execpt we wouldn't have Glacier, but would have Endicott Arm instead. Ketchikan would be a little loner port day and Skagway would be a little shorter.  Part of the reason for the big cost difference is my mom needs a handicap room due to using a scooter and on NCL, there is only one balcony left and it's not a standard balcony, so it's pretty pricey.

My mom doesn't necessarily care either way about the costs, but I hate spending money we don't need to spend.

Besides the Glacier Bay / Endicott Arm difference, are there many differences in the ships we need to consider?  

Thanks for any opinions / advice!  
Edited by ski_mom

• ski_mom changed the title to Discovery Princess vs NCL Encore for Alaska in June

Discovery is a new ship...was just on her back in August for Alaska.  Princess has been doing Alaska for over 50 years and is well known/respected for their sailings there.  I'll admit, I don't know how old the Encore is...but Discovery was literally just launched last year.  It's a great ship.  I would not hesitate doing Discovery...saving all that money would clinch it for me.

Edited by Rick&Jeannie
  • Like 2

I was on Discovery over Thanksgiving. I looked at it with an eye toward sailing it in Alaska, particularly Glacier Bay. 

In the past, we sailed on smaller ships with more open deck areas to enjoy Alaska without seeing everything through glass.  There are very few places on outside decks on Discovery that are open (that you can see the glaciers without the tinted glass in the way). 

However, if you are not going to be going to Glacier Bay, and if being outside on the decks to view the scenery is not a priority, I will say that Discovery is a big, new, glorious ship! 

I dont know the other ship you are comparing, though. 

• Like 1

It depends what is important to you - itinerary or ship. We have been on both but not to Alaska. Discovery will have better open decks - albeit not a full wrap-around promenade deck - for viewing and NCL Encore will have the indoor forward-facing floor-to-ceiling windows of the Observation Lounge. If you are staying on your balcony then that won't really matter.  Food and service were much of a muchness - you adjust expectations according to the line. 

Edited by dides
  • Like 1

Encore is a huge, beautiful, not exactly old ship.  Much more energy than Princess.  What's important to you on a ship?  For the kids, Encore has more things like go carts, lazer tag, VR, but those will cost you on top of the already higher cruise fares.  Big pool slides are free (they were used when I sailed in September so I bet they would be used in June).  Encore also has more dining options (additional cost).  Alaska is Alaska.  I never understood how one cruiseline could do it "better".  This being a Princess board of course the preference would skew towards Princess.  I'm in your age group.  I'd prefer Encore.  Plenty of outdoor deck space for viewing.  While the observation lounge is large it can be a struggle to find seating, and I sailed when the ship was only half full after the restart.

NCL cabin bathrooms are nicer.  Princess has better closet space, free room service, better TV options.

I wish NCL and Princess would get married. 😆

Just want to add if it's a Glacier Bay / Endicott arm difference, also look at NCL Bliss because Bliss goes to the one that Encore doesn't.  Bliss is Encore's very slightly older sister.

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 2

Just a thought but $8000 would cover great excursions for the ports and I would 100% recommend some excursions to explore each port fully.

I have not been on Norwegian, but the discovery is a beautiful ship and princess is known for their Alaska trips. The enrichment activities to learn about Alaska onboard are excellent!

• Like 1

"Oh, by Alaska is Alaska, I meant the Inside Passage.  It's the same Glacier Bay regardless of (big) ship. "

I woulr argue that if you can get on on open, outside deck, Glacier Bay is a much better experience.  My preference was to be on the Star (or its sister) and get on the deck on top of the bridge. It is open and large.  It was packed for the first 20 minutes or so, but after that, once the ship was turned, it cleared out. You could see the glacier calving (and not look at it through colored glass) and you could HEAR the creaking and cracking!  On the new class of ship (like Discovery), there are not the open deck spaces. 

Even the smaller Island Princess and Coral Princess have the full promenade (deck 7) open.  It is wide and the view is unobstructed.  

So while Glacier Bay is the same, the expierience offered by the ship to view everything is different (lower quality on the Biggest class ships). 

• Like 2