Does anyone have recent pics of Civitavecchia?

Ombud

I've been to Rome several times (once had a walking tour, another time a private guide,  another time just stayed there). So I'm thinking of just staying closer to the port. However the last time I was in Civitavecchia was in 2004 and it was a dump. I've read its much better now but cannot find recent pics. Do you have any to share?

Someone on this board recently posted a few pics of Civitavecchia during a recent stay to show it does have a bit of charm.  Personally I'm still not a fan -- drove through a good part of the town last October after disembarking the ship. (One of the parties on my shared shuttle needed to stop at a drugstore for something, long story.). I still thought it was fairly lacking in charm and not much to offer in terms of attractions.

Here, found the thread with the pics:  

• Thanks 1

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out where to stay for a few days before boarding the ship. I view going to Rome like going to Paris or London .... just where the plane lands then find a quaint place to hang out for a few days. Been to all 3. Not repeating them

We stayed one night and it was fine. Air BNB was next to a Grocery store (with descent wine selection), 1/2 block from Laundromat and walking to other shops and restaurants. I would stay again one night pre-cruise, But I would not want to stay a few days there. Tarquinia and Ostia Antica are Etruscan sites nearby and I hear the latter is a nice choice of a couple nights, check them out.

5 hours ago, JuliaMS said:

Tarquinia and Ostia Antica are Etruscan sites nearby and I hear the latter is a nice choice of a couple nights, check them out.

Ostia Antica is a Roman site, not Etruscan, but definitely worth visiting. I wouldn't particularly say it's a great place to stay, however. It's pretty close to Rome's main airport, FCO. 

Tarquinia, on the other hand, is worth considering. Charming medieval town with Etruscan origins, good museum and Etruscan tombs to visit.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 4:02 AM, euro cruiser said:

I wouldn't describe Civitavecchia as quaint.  Maybe utilitarian is more apt.

A smaller but, to my mind, nicer option is just down the road a bit at Santa Marinella.  It's on the same train line about 10 km/6 miles south of the port.

Thinking of 20230104_102004.thumb.jpg.73b5301f065d76cf90bcbdf74f60774b.jpg

Do you know anything about it? Close enough to Tarquinia for a day & port? 

42 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

That looks lovely, the issue will be getting to and from the train station, which is about two and a half miles away.  Perhaps they can help arrange transportation?

I know!! Does Italy have uber? I'd want to take it to Tarquinia for 1 day but just stay there at the hotel day too

Edited by Ombud

Uber in Italy is not how you understand it in California.  They do not have amateur drivers using personal cars, the app works as a connection to a professional driving service.  In some places it's a taxi, in others it's a car service.  

You can get to Tarquinia by bus, the biggest issue is from the agriturismo into town.  I would reach out to them and ask what they suggest.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2023 at 11:23 PM, Ombud said:

I've been to Rome several times (once had a walking tour, another time a private guide,  another time just stayed there). So I'm thinking of just staying closer to the port. However the last time I was in Civitavecchia was in 2004 and it was a dump. I've read its much better now but cannot find recent pics. Do you have any to share?

The Seawalk is beautiful and very much expanded.  We enjoyed our day there.

• 3 weeks later...