Which itinerary? Please help! Solo....

Nataliea621

Hi! 

I am trying to figure out which itinerary to Alaska I want to do...

Also I work at a school so my dates have to be Mid June to Mid August and can be 2023 or 2024. 

My ideal requirements are as follows:

Sitka

OW Northbound or Southbound

or RT from Vancouver

No need to come from Seattle-grew up there and I have spent a lot of time there.

Big on History and wildlife- don't need expensive excursions. Kind of prefer to explore on my own

Longer port times

So I have looked at Celebrity and NCL and those are the 2 that might be a good choice.

But please let me know what you think?

Natalie

Took my late mother on a Rt Vancouver on Celebrity in 2017 that stopped in Sitka instead of ISP, there are a few X cruises that do this.  It was wonderful.  Understand they have a new terminal in Sitka now.  We did not do excursions but preferred to walk around.  I would recommend this cruise, more than enough time in ports.  Sitka was charming.

One way cruises must either begin or end in Vancouver. They can't start or end in  Seattle, with the rare exception of the very small number of cruises that go from Seattle to Vancouver...just a couple each year. 

Not sure how cruising solo affects our choices.

Each port and it's features are discussed here daily...what sounds good to you?

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

One way cruises must either begin or end in Vancouver. They can't start or end in  Seattle, with the rare exception of the very small number of cruises that go from Seattle to Vancouver...just a couple each year. 

Not sure how cruising solo affects our choices.

Each port and it's features are discussed here daily...what sounds good to you?

Hi!

i know about Seattle only having RT and I don’t want that. as I stated in my post. I want RT from Vancouver or the one ways. I also know that the Seattle ones are larger ships and have short port times another reason I want to do the other choices. 
Well as a solo traveler I sometimes think some cruise lines definitely tailor to them more. That’s why I mentioned it. 
Thanks!

7 minutes ago, lobsternight said:

Took my late mother on a Rt Vancouver on Celebrity in 2017 that stopped in Sitka instead of ISP, there are a few X cruises that do this.  It was wonderful.  Understand they have a new terminal in Sitka now.  We did not do excursions but preferred to walk around.  I would recommend this cruise, more than enough time in ports.  Sitka was charming.

Oh that sounds wonderful! I am looking at one in 2024 One way on Celebrity Summit and it’s during my birthday. 

Itinerary

Day 1:  Vancouver - British Columbia

Fri Jun 21, 2024 | Depart 05:00 PM

Day 2:  Inside Passage (Cruising)

Sat Jun 22, 2024 |

Day 3:  Ketchikan - Alaska

Sun Jun 23, 2024 | 07:00 AM To 03:00 PM

Day 4:  Sitka - Alaska

Mon Jun 24, 2024 | 07:00 AM To 03:30 PM

Day 5:  Juneau - Alaska

Tue Jun 25, 2024 | 07:00 AM To 09:30 PM

Day 6:  Icy Strait Point - Alaska

Wed Jun 26, 2024 | 07:00 AM To 05:00 PM

Day 7:  Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)

Thu Jun 27, 2024 | 06:00 AM To 10:00 AM

Day 8:  Seward - Alaska

Fri Jun 28, 2024 | Arrive 06:00 AM

• Like 3

Princess has some really nice 10-11 day cruises round trip from Vancouver with nice ports and long port times. I am doing this in May, early to mid June is my favorite time for the long daylight hours. Only negative is no Glacier Bay but Hubbard is impressive and you have a long enough port time in Juneau to do the Adventure Bound trip to Tracy Arm for up close Glacier viewing

• Like 1

Just now, DougH said:

Princess has some really nice 10-11 day cruises round trip from Vancouver with nice ports and long port times. I am doing this in May, early to mid June is my favorite time for the long daylight hours. Only negative is no Glacier Bay but Hubbard is impressive and you have a long enough port time in Juneau to do the Adventure Bound trip to Tracy Arm for up close Glacier viewing

Oh thanks for this tip! Super helpful. I will definitely look at Princess! 

There might be more solos on Princess.  I think Celebrity will have more 50+ yr old couples, and HAL older passengers and multi-generational families.  I think Princess might be a nice mix of passengers, including more international travelers (at least that was the mix pre-pandemic).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

There might be more solos on Princess.  I think Celebrity will have more 50+ yr old couples, and HAL older passengers and multi-generational families.  I think Princess might be a nice mix of passengers, including more international travelers (at least that was the mix pre-pandemic).

Oh that’s good to know. I’m liking the itineraries for Princess a lot. Looks like 2023 has the Vancouver RT for 10-11 days but in 2024 it’s from San Francisco. Hmmm…

53 minutes ago, Nataliea621 said:

Oh that’s good to know. I’m liking the itineraries for Princess a lot. Looks like 2023 has the Vancouver RT for 10-11 days but in 2024 it’s from San Francisco. Hmmm…

I saw thst one too.  Only comment is that will be a lot of open water and beam seas, both directions, and will assume outside of Vancouver Island. Something to consider  

9 hours ago, Nataliea621 said:

This is rare that Princess is doing this in 2023. If you sail from SFO - you are only gaining extra sea days and not more ports. It is more for California residents who don't want to fly.

1 hour ago, Coral said:

This is rare that Princess is doing this in 2023. If you sail from SFO - you are only gaining extra sea days and not more ports. It is more for California residents who don't want to fly.

Yeah I don't want to go from San Francisco. I would much rather spend time in Vancouver or do the OW North or South bound. I really like the 10 Day RT on the Crown Princess. 

Tue, 08/15/23 Vancouver, Canada 
View general port information 
  4:30pm
Wed, 08/16/23 At Sea    
Thu, 08/17/23 Sitka, Alaska  10:00am  6:00pm
Fri, 08/18/23 Hubbard Glacier (scenic Cruising), Alaska 
Scenic Cruising
10:00am  3:00pm
Sat, 08/19/23 Juneau, Alaska 
Water Shuttle Required
wheelchair Access Limited
8:00am  9:00pm
Sun, 08/20/23 Icy Strait Point, Alaska  8:00am  5:00pm
Mon, 08/21/23 Skagway, Alaska  7:00am  8:30pm
Tue, 08/22/23 At Sea    
Wed, 08/23/23 Ketchikan, Alaska  8:00am  5:00pm
Thu, 08/24/23 At Sea    
Fri, 08/25/23 Vancouver, Canada 
View general port information 
7:30am  
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

We are doing the 11 night V-V round trip on the Crown Princess in July.  The itinerary has a lot of our favorite ports -- looking forward to it.

I think the 11 night adds Victoria which is a great city.

BTW - I did hold the cabin for May. Not sure if I can do it or not but I agree - it looks great. I have an email into AdventureBound to see if they are running in May.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

BTW - I did hold the cabin for May. Not sure if I can do it or not but I agree - it looks great. I have an email into AdventureBound to see if they are running in May.

Hope May works out for you --- it really is a nice itinerary.  Also, we love the fact that we have plenty of time in Victoria as often times, as you well know, Victoria is a short stop.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lobsternight said:

I saw that one too.  Only comment is that will be a lot of open water and beam seas, both directions, and will assume outside of Vancouver Island. Something to consider  

My late DH and I sailed to Alaska out of San Francisco several years ago.  We usually do the Inside Passage route.  But I enjoyed the SF cruise (love the city and first time sailing under the GG Bridge on a cruise ship).  The second day we were at sea (no land in sight, except in the far distance), but we were lucky to see some seals swimming along side!

I sailed to Alaska last May out of Seattle for the first time and enjoyed revisiting the city.  I think I was on the first cruise of the season on the Crown P.  It was the earliest I had been to the state and I picked it on purpose so as to see the glaciers at their snowiest.  Was not disappointed!!  Also, at Skagway I took the little train that runs into Canada for a bit and there was a lot of snow along the tracks up there!  Weather was great--blue sky and mild temps.

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Coral said:

That 11 night looks fantastic! I might research it a bit more. Also I feel like Princess is a good compromise for a solo traveler. Especially for Alaska and or Europe. I feel like the mix of other passengers is good. And the prices seem fair too. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 6:23 AM, Coral said:

Also one other thing I noticed for June-Aug in 2024-no Sitka. So that is interesting. I guess I better start saving big time for Aug 2023! 

• Like 1

I always travel solo since the loss of my husband eight years ago. 

I have been on many cruise lines big to small!

I did American Cruise Line American Spirit Puget Sound cruise September 2022! Amazing ship, cruise and people! I’m booked for June 2024! That was the first available solo cabin otherwise it’s 175%!

I’m a fan of Holland America but port days in Alaska just too short! I find Princess and Celebrity not solo friendly! As a couple Celebrity was amazing! Solo no!

But I can’t wait that long! So after a lot of research I found Oceania Regatta! Now solo cruise program for obstructed ocean view cabins on a great deck!

I’m booked for July 21,2023! Round trip Seattle which I like!

Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days!

The ports I miss in 2023 I’ll get to in 2024!

I am currently exploring shore excursions!

I’ve never been on Oceania but because of the small ship, 650 passengers, solo program, long port days and round trip Seattle I booked it!

I’m staying at the Waterfront Marriott for three nights prior to the cruise! I’ll be able to explore the beautiful waterfront area!

September 2022 I stays three nights at the Marriott Renaissance in Seattle prior to the Puget Sound cruise. 

Edited by Wasasalad
Add

32 minutes ago, Wasasalad said:

I always travel solo since the loss of my husband eight years ago. 

I have been on many cruise lines big to small!

I did American Cruise Line American Spirit Puget Sound cruise September 2022! Amazing ship, cruise and people! I’m booked for June 2024! That was the first available solo cabin otherwise it’s 175%!

I’m a fan of Holland America but port days in Alaska just too short! I find Princess and Celebrity not solo friendly! As a couple Celebrity was amazing! Solo no!

But I can’t wait that long! So after a lot of research I found Oceania Regatta! Now solo cruise program for obstructed ocean view cabins on a great deck!

I’m booked for July 21,2023! Round trip Seattle which I like!

Ketchikan 9-5, Sitka 9-6,Juneau 7a-8p, Icy Straight 7a-6p,Wrangell 9-6, Prince Rupert 9-6, Victoria 8a-11p! I like the long port days!

The ports I miss in 2023 I’ll get to in 2024!

I am currently exploring shore excursions!

I’ve never been on Oceania but because of the small ship, 650 passengers, solo program, long port days and round trip Seattle I booked it!

I’m staying at the Waterfront Marriott for three nights prior to the cruise! I’ll be able to explore the beautiful waterfront area!

September 2022 I stays three nights at the Marriott Renaissance in Seattle prior to the Puget Sound cruise. 

Thanks for you detailed response. I grew up in Seattle area and I personally have no desire to spend time there and really don't want a RT from there. And I am leaning towards Princess because the amount of time I am in a port. NCL would be my second choice on a OW North or Southbound. I would love to be on one of the smaller ships as you listed but I am an educator and my budget is much smaller than those can allow me to spend. Thank you for your input though! It is much appreciated. 

• Like 2

I actually sail solo and have traveled to Europe and Alaska several times by myself with Princess with no problems. Not sure what people expect or do not expect for a line to be solo friendly. I would agree that sometimes pricing is not solo friendly but onboard, I haven't had a problem. Yes, one can move to higher end lines and sometimes find solo pricing but it is much more than what I am paying on main stream lines. A friend did do American Cruise Lines in Alaska in their solo cabin and it was pretty expensive. I haven't checked pricing recently. Though this person usually book suites so their interpretation of solo fares is probably different than mine.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 12:38 PM, Italy52 said:

Hope May works out for you --- it really is a nice itinerary.  Also, we love the fact that we have plenty of time in Victoria as often times, as you well know, Victoria is a short stop.

I did confirm with AdventureBound they are running in May when I want to go. That was a dealbreaker for me.

1 minute ago, Coral said:

I actually sail solo and have traveled to Europe and Alaska several times by myself with Princess with no problems. Not sure what people expect or do not expect for a line to be solo friendly. I would agree that sometimes pricing is not solo friendly but onboard, I haven't had a problem. Yes, one can move to higher end lines and sometimes find solo pricing but it is much more than what I am paying on main stream lines. A friend did do American Cruise Lines in Alaska in their solo cabin and it was pretty expensive. I haven't checked pricing recently. Though this person usually book suites so their interpretation of solo fares is probably different than mine.

I feel like Princess feels different on what the sailing/itinerary is such as Alaska and or Europe. I feel like those might have more solos. I think that NCL is considered solo friendly because they have solo studios ETC. But I think it truly is up to the individual.

• Like 1