Recent or current cruisers on Navigator - I have questions

We have never sailed on Navigator but have multiple sailings on all the other Regent ships.  We really like the newer ships but also enjoy Mariner and Voyager very much.  We are thinking about a short cruise on the Navigator  but have multiple question on her current state and would appreciate recent cruisers input:

- I know that there is no French or Asian restaurant onboard and we are OK with that but I have recently read reviews that basically say the food is lacking compared to the other ships or the Navigator pre-pandemic.  Opinions?

- Is there enough lounge capacity around the pool?  The area looks considerably smaller than the other ships.  Are there lounges/chairs that are shaded?  Are they all taken by the lounge hogs very early in the morning?
- Is the coffee connection large enough?

- I understand that the interior common spaces get way too crowded on bad weather days but is there sufficient space to leisurely sit and read or talk on regular days when we have had enough sun and hot weather?

- I’ve heard that the cigar lounge was removed and the only place to smoke is an area of the pool deck.  is it somewhat protected from weather?  And most importantly, is it sufficiently away from non-smokers as I do not wish to bother others who do not want to smell the smoke.

-Has the ship been maintained well or is it really tired?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Edited by Johnthesailor
Addition question

My view as we sailed on the Navigator 12 to 22 December 2022

have recently read reviews that basically say the food is lacking compared to the other ships or the Navigator pre-pandemic. 
the food was generally good to very good. We found several chicken dishes to be on the tough side. Enjoyed the buffet on La Veranda for lunch but didn't eat in the pool grill.

- Is there enough lounge capacity around the pool?  The area looks considerably smaller than the other ships.  Are there lounges/chairs that are shaded?  Are they all taken by the lounge hogs very early in the morning?

sadly there were some lounge hogs but we didn't do much lazing by the pool until late afternoon. But when we wanted to we could get a lounger. Preferred to sit at the very back of the ship on the same level as the walking track which was quieter and shaded

it's pretty small

- I understand that the interior common spaces get way too crowded on bad weather days but is there sufficient space to leisurely sit and read or talk on regular days when we have had enough sun and hot weather?

yes. The only time they were crowded was disembarkation day

- I’ve heard that the cigar lounge was removed and the only place to smoke is an area of the pool deck.  is it somewhat protected from weather?  And most importantly, is it sufficiently away from non-smokers as I do not wish to bother others who do not want to smell the smoke.

as you look at the pool from La Veranda the smoking area is on the far right hand side by the sliding doors. It has glass to shelter from the sea but not from other guests so anyone who has a lounger nearby smokes with you 😜. There is also a small area with a glass screen right at the back same level as walking track and this has a glass screen to separate it from the other guests sitting there and is a lovely place to sit.

considering she is a comparatively elderly lady she is well maintained. We had a concierge and the bathrooms are definitely dated but there was regular painting and varnishing going on and she is clean and tidy.

some things you didn't ask

She definitely sways more than other ships we have been on

the vibration (aft) can be quite disconcerting when combined with the swaying in the public areas but you do get used to it but make sure your suite is further forward

the internet was dreadful for the first half of the cruise but they did some tweaks so it was just ok

staff are fabulous 😁

I know she has lots of fans but I would probably go for one of her younger but bigger sisters next time. Hope this helps 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did 40 nights on her from May 28-July 7 and loved her.  Yes, she's small and doesn't have all the specialty restaurants, but I found the food good to excellent.  The ship vibrates in the aft portion so may want to take that into account in cabin selection.  Chair Hogs weren't an issue, but then again, we were in the North Atlantic and it was pretty much too cold for pool use.  I thought the Coffee Connection, small as it was, was fine.  I never had trouble finding a seat, but that could be more a function of when I went down there.  It also doubles as a bar at night.  Has a piano so can get crowded before dinner.  We had a lot of weather days and I never felt the ship was too crowded.  People seemed to spread out a lot throughout the ship.  I think the ship is in fine condition.  Obviously not "new and shiny" like Splendor.  She's in a class of her own. But we found the crew to be exceptional in all respects and really enjoyed her.  We are booked again in March and really looking forward to it.  It seems one either a loves or hates of Navigator. We loved it.

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Techno123 said:

My view as we sailed on the Navigator 12 to 22 December 2022

have recently read reviews that basically say the food is lacking compared to the other ships or the Navigator pre-pandemic. 
the food was generally good to very good. We found several chicken dishes to be on the tough side. Enjoyed the buffet on La Veranda for lunch but didn't eat in the pool grill.

sadly there were some lounge hogs but we didn't do much lazing by the pool until late afternoon. But when we wanted to we could get a lounger. Preferred to sit at the very back of the ship on the same level as the walking track which was quieter and shaded

it's pretty small

- I understand that the interior common spaces get way too crowded on bad weather days but is there sufficient space to leisurely sit and read or talk on regular days when we have had enough sun and hot weather?

yes. The only time they were crowded was disembarkation day

as you look at the pool from La Veranda the smoking area is on the far right hand side by the sliding doors. It has glass to shelter from the sea but not from other guests so anyone who has a lounger nearby smokes with you 😜. There is also a small area with a glass screen right at the back same level as walking track and this has a glass screen to separate it from the other guests sitting there and is a lovely place to sit.

considering she is a comparatively elderly lady she is well maintained. We had a concierge and the bathrooms are definitely dated but there was regular painting and varnishing going on and she is clean and tidy.

some things you didn't ask

She definitely sways more than other ships we have been on

the vibration (aft) can be quite disconcerting when combined with the swaying in the public areas but you do get used to it but make sure your suite is further forward

the internet was dreadful for the first half of the cruise but they did some tweaks so it was just ok

staff are fabulous 😁

I know she has lots of fans but I would probably go for one of her younger but bigger sisters next time. Hope this helps 😁

In the most recent data that I have seen, Navigator actually had faster internet (by a very small margin) than the other ships. All the ship have about 4 times the capacity (limited by hardware) than they currently contract bandwidth for.

We were possibly on the same - or similar - voyage a few months ago as @papaflamingo above, and I have little add to their comments but nods of agreement (especially about the first class crew).  I will, however, offer a link to a blog post I wrote from a previous cruise on board Navigator with photos - though it was three or four years ago, I'd say not much has changed (the size of Coffee Connection etc) and hopefully, the pix will offer a better idea of the ship and how it remains.  Our Navigator cruise in Summer 2022 was fabulous and we were thrilled to find all the things we'd loved about Navigator previously, even though we'd sailed on board Splendor in the meantime.  

• Like 6

The regular suites on Navigator are larger than those on Mariner and Voyager, which was helpful when I was quarantined with Covid last summer. This was our first cruise on Navigator after many cruises on the other Regent ships. Very well maintained, excellent service by a warm, wonderful staff and crew. Just make sure you don’t reserve an aft suite. We would not hesitate to choose Navigator again.

Edited by briar14
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

In the most recent data that I have seen, Navigator actually had faster internet (by a very small margin) than the other ships. All the ship have about 4 times the capacity (limited by hardware) than they currently contract bandwidth for.

There was actually a fault with it. Didn't work at all initially, then very slow. They did undertake a 'fix' and it was comparatively much better in the latter half of the cruise.

21 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

There was actually a fault with it. Didn't work at all initially, then very slow. They did undertake a 'fix' and it was comparatively much better in the latter half of the cruise.

Apologies - I wasn't disputing your facts...just adding to them.

• Like 1

Do take a look at the link in #5 from Gilly as the photos and her blog is an accurate depiction of the ship today.  We are on deck 6 midship and quite comfortable.  

We've had multiple sailings on Song of Flower (so sad that she's gone), Navigator, Mariner and Voyager.

• Like 1

In answer to the pool deck, here are some pictures of the Navigator pool deck yesterday on a sea day afternoon about 2 in the Caribbean. Plenty  of loungers unlike C5F585CA-2D66-488A-A1C7-CAF0E310DFCE.thumb.jpeg.7e771f026554fa2427fdca385909e01a.jpegCF54F148-78E1-4532-8F82-6DF56FA4C365.thumb.jpeg.6084e65cb89c33e01884f84f82144cc2.jpeglike on the Splendor two weeks earlier lounge hog were a definite orioles.

• Like 2

we were onboard in September.  It was a Canada cruise, so really not lounging weather.  The food was good to great however, and the ship is well maintained.  The only times the coffee connection seemed crowded were on sea days in the mornings.  We have another cruise scheduled for next year on her.