Attending Shopping Seminar - Worth it for Coupons?

I tried searching this topic, but most of the results are on how to get cruise discounts, or excursion discounts.

We had attended a shopping seminar on our last cruise. We were made to believe that it would give us access to "special" discounts. We were given a coupon booklet, but I'm not sure it was worth the 1 hour speech on how great Diamonds International is (and the rest of the partner companies like Effy).

Apart from the raffles that they advertise in advance for port shops, can one get the same deals when it port? The seminar felt more or less like a sales pitch to make purchases, where they will suggest you give them the name of the presenter to unlock some "deals". With all the cruise lines and ships that dock in ports, I somehow doubt that an owner will only offer discounts to a select few if asked.

I agree that someone should purchase items where the price feels comfortable, and I'm also aware that passengers are targets for some stores, especially in the designated port shopping areas.

I know it's a vague question, but any advice on how we can gain an advantage? Off the top of my head, waiting until the last minute might be an example.

Run dont walk. Imo the shops they promote of course pay rcl to be promoted. I'd call it a kickback. Those stores gotta charge more to break even. Find a store not promoted to shop. 

I think some go hoping they get free things thrown their way. I cant imagine any other reason.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Imo the shops they promote of course pay rcl to be promoted. I'd call it a kickback.

It's not just an opinion, it's a fact.  The cruiselines promotes the stores they do, whether by the Port Shopping "Expert", in the shopping "seminar", or on the port maps, because those stores pay them to.

• Like 2

True - they do pay for the promotion.  Also items tend to be more expensive in the promoted stores.  For example, a few years ago DH and I wanted to buy each other shipwreck coins (pendants) as an anniversary gif to ourselves.  The least expensive ones (silver Spanish reals) at Diamonds International were $400-450.  We walked into town and found a little shop called Artifacts that sells shipwreck salvage items.  We got our coins for $200 apiece, and each came with a certificate of provenance signed by the salvage diver.  That little shop had lots of other fascinating salvage items as well.   If we are shopping, we like to explore the local shops.

Edited by foxgoodrich
  • Like 2

To address the OP's question, I have attended a couple of the shopping seminars.  In my opinion, the discounts in the coupon book are not worth losing an hour of my cruise!   It was all promotion and enticement with the offer of freebies like cheap charms or other free cheap items if you visit the promoted stores.

You can always ask for a discount and mention the name of your ship without the coupon book.  Sometimes the shop people will ask the name of your ship, so they do keep track of where their customers come from.

My experience has been that the best prices are the ones in shops farther away from the ship.

We just recently got off a 33 day cruise coupled with a 9 day land stay in the Caribbean. I have to say if I ever see another “Diamonds International” or “Colombian Emeralds” again, I think I will go full postal! It’s not as if we didn’t learn from that time we attended (what seemed like) a 72 hour timeshare presentation in order to get 2 free Disney tickets in Orlando back in the day! Every hotel we stayed in had a “Colombian Emeralds” in the foyer, and every port sported either the same or a “Diamonds International” within spitting distance of the entrance. Despite the fact Christmas (other holidays are available) was just around the corner, it did occur to me how light the footfall was in these stores. I commented to my wife often (although she rarely pays any attention) that I wondered how these places made money and whether they might have held some sort of ambassadorial status for various “cartels?”

and…….on the same theme! I cannot understand why a cruise makes her (and others) effervescent for products alleging to be made out of Bamboo? Bedsheets, underwear? I was lucky enough to visit Chengdu China in my professional career and to see the Pandas in droves munching there way through tons of the stuff. I learned that it is full of cellulose, something of a fast growing nuisance, and despite the Pandas fondness for the stuff, it isn’t particularly nourishing and it turns their faeces a peculiar shade of phosphorous green! Given their notorious libido difficulties, I’m not really sure why I would want my bedsheets made out of the stuff? Likewise, I have never felt the need to enclose my nether regions in underwear made out of it either! 

I don’t know what it is about cruising that seems to bring out these strange retail cravings. It’s not even as if friends or family ask us to bring back a diamond, an emerald, or cellulose knickerbockers, just because they discover we are visiting some sort of dodgy tax haven for 8 hours! Don’t even get me started on the Art auctions. Although, I did notice a lot if it seemed to resemble that “Britto” stuff that presumably has been sitting in a cupboard in the basement of the ship ever since the retail space was turned over to some other overpriced nonsense! Not a day went by (honestly!) when there wasn’t an envelope left on our bed inviting us to some champagne reception or masquerade ball being hosted by these purveyors! I bought 2 artwork prints in the Seventies, “Chimpanzee sitting on toilet” and “Tennis player scratching left buttock” that have yet to show any positive investment return! 

Anyway, I have gone on too long and still haven’t got to those “pop up” shops in the Royal bazaar or esplanade or whatever it is on your particular ship! 

• Haha 7

FWIW, we found the port shopping expert very helpful once.  I was looking for a particular diamond, and they were able to help us get it at a better price.  The skinny is we were on a B2B, they knew that, and told us the reps were going to be on next week and offering special discounts.  We saved some Quatloos.

We bought an expensive diamond eternity band from a promoted store in Aruba about 5 years ago. That night at the show I noticed two diamonds were missing. I felt faint.. I just put it on 10 mins ago and didn’t hit my hand or anything. 

Took us 6 months for the ring to be “fixed” and a lot of headaches. The authorized repair sent the ring back bent and with two yellow diamonds  set in black substance. I took it to my jeweler in town and cried when they told me the “diamonds” weren’t real to begin with. 

I complained all the way to the top and the only reply I got was the guarantee is between the store and the purchaser and Royal is simply a 3rd party advertising their services. 

I will NEVER buy anything from any store Royal promotes. I won’t buy jewelry outside the US either. Thousands of dollars down the drain. 

Edited by twinmommy08
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Cigar King said:

FWIW, we found the port shopping expert very helpful once.  I was looking for a particular diamond, and they were able to help us get it at a better price.  The skinny is we were on a B2B, they knew that, and told us the reps were going to be on next week and offering special discounts.  We saved some Quatloos.

I hate to tell you, but you likely bought some dilithium, not a diamond. 

On 1/2/2023 at 8:53 PM, shellunderwater said:

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it..... Bamboo is very comfortable to wear.  The sheets are incredibly cooling and soft.

And from such a savvy art investor....

Kind of liked the sheets, but the pillow keeps slipping around.  And they are warm - like flannel.  Try the Giza Dream Sheets - much better and cheaper.

Coupons not worth much (unless you were going to buy at those stores anyway) but wife did win a massage.  Problem was there were no appointments left for the cruise.....

Edited by LeeW
more
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1