Flying into Rome 2 days early for cruise - where to stay?

Beth and Bailey

We are also looking to book a hotel in Rome  before our April 22 cruise.  Does anyone know what hotel Princess uses if you book the hotel through them?  We realize that it might be more expensive, but we did this in Copenhagen on our Baltic cruise and we were very satisfied with the experience.

Concerning the OP’s inquiry, I know that we have stayed in one hotel that did have three beds in the room.  It may have been the Hotel Sonya near Termini.

10 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

We are doing a cruise that departs Rome on 10/30.  Myself and 2 adult dtrs.  Suggestions on where to stay where we can all have a bed.  Don't mind sharing a queen but no one wants the sofa bed.  lol

Hotel Demetra and the IQ Hotel both offer rooms that actually have beds for 3 -- either 3 twins or 1 twin + 1 "matrimonio" (which is like 2 twins pushed together).  The hotels are pretty nice if you are willing to stay near Termini area. It's not as pretty as the Navona/Pantheon area but it does have good transportation connections and you can still walk to most places...

Rooms with triples in Rome are rare and they book up fast. I would get something booked ASAP. You can always look around later for a better option. 

8 hours ago, mevs904 said:

We are also looking to book a hotel in Rome  before our April 22 cruise.  Does anyone know what hotel Princess uses if you book the hotel through them?  We realize that it might be more expensive, but we did this in Copenhagen on our Baltic cruise and we were very satisfied with the experience.

Concerning the OP’s inquiry, I know that we have stayed in one hotel that did have three beds in the room.  It may have been the Hotel Sonya near Termini.

Whenever I've looked at Princess hotels, they are twice as much as booking on your own. Also often not as well located as they need to use a larger hotel with more rooms. Most hotels in the center of Rome are fairly small.  I don't know the current hotel(s) for Princess but many cruise ships use hotels in the Via Veneto area, which (as mentioned) is less central.

Yes, I agree that the Princess hotels are usually more expensive, but in Copenhagen they placed us in the Hotel Scandic which was nowhere near twice as much as other hotel choices and was ideally situated.  We have enjoyed staying in a couple of Rome’s smaller hotels, but for this trip we will only be staying one night and will have more luggage than we usually carry for our land trips, so the idea of using Princess transfers is appealing.  We were just in Rome in October so the only sightseeing that we’re planning on is the Borghese Gallery.  Right now we’ve asked our TA for a quote and are looking for thoughts from posters on this board, then we’ll decide.  Thanks for responding.  I appreciate your thoughts.

We usually stay at Hotel Contilia which is very close to Termini train station. It is a no frills, basic hotel but is clean, the staff are friendly and has a great breakfast buffet included in the room price. The rooms are fairly small and the bathrooms are quite small and they use traditional Italian towels (like a small cotton table cloth). You can walk to most places or get the Metro from Termini. Once we stayed with our adult son and were in a room with a queen bed and a single bed.

Edited by PurpleTraveller