CAS FREE BALCONY CABIN QUESTION

I called CAS and they told me I had a free balcony cabin. I booked it. A few days later, decided I wanted to upgrade to Haven. I called CAS and they quoted me the price I see on the NCL website for Havem Courtyard penthouse, with port fees etc.  I was expecting a price minus what the balcony cabin cost would have been.

Anyone have experience with upgrading a free CAS cabin? 

Thanks for your  assistance. 

8 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

I called CAS and they told me I had a free balcony cabin. I booked it. A few days later, decided I wanted to upgrade to Haven. I called CAS and they quoted me the price I see on the NCL website for Havem Courtyard penthouse, with port fees etc.  I was expecting a price minus what the balcony cabin cost would have been.

There used to be flat fees for upgrading, but they got rid of that maybe about 5 years ago.  Now, it's pretty outrageous to upgrade, but the price should have been less than the price on the website.  It should be the price difference between the balcony and the penthouse.  My experience is based on upgrades below Haven level.  So it possible the rules are different for Haven

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, dbrown84 said:

There used to be flat fees for upgrading, but they got rid of that maybe about 5 years ago.  Now, it's pretty outrageous to upgrade, but the price should have been less than the price on the website.  It should be the price difference between the balcony and the penthouse.  My experience is based on upgrades below Haven level.  So it possible the rules are different for Haven

Earlier this year it was price difference for me to go from Balcony to Haven.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, drumming cruisers said:

@drumming cruisers they should be quoting you the difference between the cost of balcony and the cost of the Haven room. Call back and see if you can get a competent CAS call center agent. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

My CAS "Free at Sea" cabin cost me about 1600 bucks.  We had a free interior room and wanted to upgrade to a balcony.  We paid the difference, which was something like 450 a person.  Then we had to pay the tax on the drink package, (120 pp?)  then it was the prepaid gratuties (224 pp), and finally we paid for trip insurance since we are flying out of Chicago in February.

23 minutes ago, Mabel the Great..Dane said:

My CAS "Free at Sea" cabin cost me about 1600 bucks.  We had a free interior room and wanted to upgrade to a balcony.  We paid the difference, which was something like 450 a person.  Then we had to pay the tax on the drink package, (120 pp?)  then it was the prepaid gratuties (224 pp), and finally we paid for trip insurance since we are flying out of Chicago in February.

Not sure I understand your point?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mabel the Great..Dane said:

sounds like what you're saying is what we've all told the OP.  They should only be charged the difference between the cabins to upgrade, not the total cost of the new cabin

I have upgraded from a so-called free balcony to the Haven on my last four cruises. All by way of the CSA. By the way I never speak to the same person which might be good or bd. It seems to work for me. Up to this last cruise they had always given me an amount that I would need to pay in addition to what I had already paid. The total was much less then if I just went online and booked the Haven.

This last one was different. We wanted to try the Prima in Dec of 2022. As always, I booked my "free" cruise by way of the CSA and understood that later on I would try for the Haven. I would have been happy with the room we had if we could not get into the Have. I called and asked the person who answered the phone. for a price to upgrade to the Haven. She said she would have to look it up and put me on hold. She came back in about 7 to 10 minute and gave me a price. The price seemed high, and I thanked her and said that my wife and I would need to talk about it. no more then a week pasted and I saw that the price online dropped, not a lot but some. This was about 120 out. I told my wife that I would call and see if the reduced price would affect our price. I called and talked with whoever answered the phone. I asked her for a price to upgrade to the Haven. same cabin as I asked for on my first call. I did not tell her that I had already done this. She, as did the first person, put me on hold and to get a price for us. when she came back, she gave me a price that was 1/2 of what the first person gave me no more than a week before. The first thing I sked her was this for one person or the total for the two of us. She sid that it was for the two of us. It was a great price, and it was the lowest we ever had to pay for the Haven. I gave her my credit card and she sent me the receipt

• Like 1