Cabins and changes/upgrades on QM2

Anne001

First time cruisers. We booked our trip via a TA (we normally travel independently and make all bookings ourselves) as we had problems with trying to book our pre and post cruise stays with Cunard. At the time only 1 BB cabin was showing as available and our TA booked us into that although we were unhappy with the fact it is right next to the lifts. I have now seen that there are other cabins available and many others stating that they are on hold. My question is, is it likely that we can change our cabin when we board? How likely is it that we will be upgraded? We are doing 17 nights Singapore to Sydney in February.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to cruising and Cruise Critic. 

If you really want to change I would try and do it before you leave. 

Surely that is exactly what travel agents are for. Set them on to it. I must say I have read very few complaints about noise from the lifts, so it may not be much of a problem.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Summergee said:

Whenever I have been on board there has bern a notice at the Pursers desk saying that the ship is fully booked so it is unlikely that you could change your room once on board.

I may be being cynical, but I’m not sure that notice is always entire accurate. Anyway, there must always be a few empty cabins, so they can move people whose cabins get flooded or whatever.

Thank you all for your replies. We have had a really bad experience booking this trip. The TA we went through was on a recommendation and we have had one problem after another. Was being told that we couldn’t change our cabin, but eventually managed to speak to a Senior Advisor who within seconds made the change. Yay! What I can’t understand is why so many of the cabins are shown as ‘on hold’ atm. When we booked there were only 2 cabins shown as available on Deck 11, now there are a few.

Exlondoner - Friends tell me the notice was on show when they went to NY earlier this year but the boat was only half full.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anne001 said:

Thank you all for your replies. We have had a really bad experience booking this trip. The TA we went through was on a recommendation and we have had one problem after another. Was being told that we couldn’t change our cabin, but eventually managed to speak to a Senior Advisor who within seconds made the change. Yay! What I can’t understand is why so many of the cabins are shown as ‘on hold’ atm. When we booked there were only 2 cabins shown as available on Deck 11, now there are a few.

Exlondoner - Friends tell me the notice was on show when they went to NY earlier this year but the boat was only half full.

Glad to hear you managed to get your room changed through your TA.

Concerning your question about why so many cabins are shown as 'on hold', are you seeing this message when you try to pick a specific cabin on the Cunard website?

"This stateroom is already on hold for another guest."

If so, that message does not literally mean the cabin is 'on hold'. That's a generic message for any cabin that isn't available. It usually means another guest is booked into that cabin.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Anne001 said:

Thank you BigMac, I was thinking more of the users than the lifts themselves! I’m a light sleeper.

If you mean noise from passengers waiting for the lift ...

The lifts are in dedicated stairwells, so you don't hear passengers waiting; it's not a raucous crowd. We were in 9063 - one of the cabins directly opposite the stairwell - and never heard a peep.