Wine cellar packages

pmjnh

If I purchase a wine cellar package pre-board, will there be a gratuity added on to the price of the package? The booking purchase option does not mention gratuity

if I purchase the package onboard will it be the same price as the preboard purchase?

Forgive me if this has been asked before...i cannot put my finger on that thread.

thank you

The price before boarding or after boarding works out to be the same.  The only difference is if you're a 3-star mariner or higher.  In that case, you pay the non-discounted price when booking in advance and then the discount is given as onboard credit (which IS refundable, so if you don't use it they'll process it to the credit card you placed on file when the cruise ends).  If you're 3-star or higher and buy it onboard then you'll be charged the discounted price.  Honestly, there's no reason or advantage to prepaying it by booking ahead of time.  Just order it from the first beverage steward or bartender you encounter on the ship.  They'll also have tables set up in convenient locations to let you buy it that way as well.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wdw1972 said:

The price before boarding or after boarding works out to be the same.  The only difference is if you're a 3-star mariner or higher.  In that case, you pay the non-discounted price when booking in advance and then the discount is given as onboard credit (which IS refundable, so if you don't use it they'll process it to the credit card you placed on file when the cruise ends).  If you're 3-star or higher and buy it onboard then you'll be charged the discounted price.  Honestly, there's no reason or advantage to prepaying it by booking ahead of time.  Just order it from the first beverage steward or bartender you encounter on the ship.  They'll also have tables set up in convenient locations to let you buy it that way as well.

Sue/WDW1972

Thank you, this is very helpful. I assume they add an 18% gratuity to the cost of the package? The preboard purchase of the wine cellar package does not mention gratuity.

I can't remember which price has the gratuity included, and which one adds it when you purchase, but there are two prices, and when the transaction is completed, they do come out the same. 

2 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

Thank you, this is very helpful. I assume they add an 18% gratuity to the cost of the package? The preboard purchase of the wine cellar package does not mention gratuity.

The quoted pre-purchase price includes the 18%. The prices onboard (see https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Sommelier-Suite-2022.pdf ) will have the 18% added. As Ruth said, it comes out the same.

• Like 1

It is actually more complicated than that if you get a Mariner discount.  If you are thinking that you get a $250. package for $125 with your 4 or 5 star discount, they don't figure it that way.  You pay the 18% on the original price, not discounted price.  So as a 4 star mariner you end up paying a 36% gratuity.

Ray

• Like 1

On the Volendam and have had issues with packages. We did figure buying the cheapest 8 bottle package with my 4 Star discount would be better than buying our wine by the glass. I had pre purchased 2 package #2 with 8 bottles. First night in the MDR we pointed out our sticker on the back of the card but I had to dispute a $66 charge for our bottle of Meiomi. We tried to buy an 8 bottle package 1 in Mix bar and were told it was not possible. I had to order a bottle from one of my 8 bottle package 2. We were told to buy our package 1 in MDR and carry a bottle to Mix.  We did that but I was charged the full amount and had to wait in line for 20 minutes to dispute my charges. While waiting in line a.gentleman was quite upset there were no afternoon happy hours. He was told from 12-1 there is a half price beer in the Lido or at night in the Crow's Nest to which he replied I go to bed at 8:30.  Haven't been able to validate it.  Check your statements. Nancy 

Edited by ottahand7

7 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

On the Volendam and have had issues with packages. We did figure buying the cheapest 8 bottle package with my 4 Star discount would be better than buying our wine by the glass. I had pre purchased 2 package #2 with 8 bottles. First night in the MDR we pointed out our sticker on the back of the card but I had to dispute a $66 charge for our bottle of Meiomi. We tried to buy an 8 bottle package 1 in Mix bar and were told it was not possible. I had to order a bottle from one of my 8 bottle package 2. We were told to buy our package 1 in MDR and carry a bottle to Mix.  We did that but I was charged the full amount and had to wait in line for 20 minutes to dispute my charges. While waiting in line a.gentleman was quite upset there were no afternoon happy hours. He was told from 12-1 there is a half price beer in the Lido or at night in the Crow's Nest to which he replied I go to bed at 8:30.  Haven't been able to validate it.  Check your statements. Nancy 

Ohh....that must have been very discouraging. We have decided to purchase onboard and use our OBC. Will they allow you to keep all bottles from the package in the stateroom?