Thinking about a river cruise with Gate 1

kaymoz

River cruise ships for the most part have compact kitchens and have a small number of staff. On many lines, once the orders are in, the  appetizers that has been mostly premade or is quick to make and soup  are served. The mains are prepared during the time pax are enjoying the first two courses. If one chooses to skip a course, it’s still necessary to wait for the main prepared. The alternative is significant waste. 
Based on the sample menus I’ve seen from a variety of lines, 3 or 4 choices of mains that change daily seems routine. Then, in addition, there are available every day choices that don’t change. 

• 1 month later...

We’re very interested in a Gate 1 Danube cruise. Generally, the reviews are good and price seems to be lower than Viking. But other than deck plans, I’ve not been able to find current videos or pics of the Monarch Queen cabins. Particularly category A, which is coming in cheaper than our last Viking cruise, but with a bigger cabin and bath. 

I guess the lack of marketing is one way Gate 1 saves money.  But I’d prefer not to book a cabin site-unseen.  Even a simple floor plan would be helpful. 

Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, RPVTravelGuy said:

I’ve not been able to find current videos or pics of the Monarch Queen cabins.

Try googling "monarch Queen cabins" and the like and then looking at "images".  I tried it and got some pics.

Thanks. I’ve seen those from the link. Googling leads to very few pics and videos. Some seem older. Perhaps the ship has since been remodeled. 

In any case, I wish Gate 1 would publish a floor plan. I think Cat A has a much nicer bathroom than the regular Viking cabins, but it’s not 100% clear from those few pics. 

6 hours ago, RPVTravelGuy said:

We’re very interested in a Gate 1 Danube cruise. Generally, the reviews are good and price seems to be lower than Viking. But other than deck plans, I’ve not been able to find current videos or pics of the Monarch Queen cabins. Particularly category A, which is coming in cheaper than our last Viking cruise, but with a bigger cabin and bath. 

I guess the lack of marketing is one way Gate 1 saves money.  But I’d prefer not to book a cabin site-unseen.  Even a simple floor plan would be helpful. 

Any thoughts?

We sailed twice on this ship when Vantage owned her. Really enjoyed it, we would stay in the French Balcony rooms.

Spouse and some friends are booked on a Gate One Tulip Cruise this April.  She'll have Viking, Vantage and Riviera to compare it to.  I think they'll be happy.

This link has a few cabin pics.

https://www.affordabletours.com/rivers/gate1/ms_monarch_queen/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RPVTravelGuy said:

Any thoughts?

You may find this review from 2023 helpful. Not sure what category the cabin is though.

It was a C cabin, middle deck with French Balcony. Small enough but comfortable. No refrigerator, shower cubicle only. 

I would recommend Gate 1 but I haven't been on any other river cruises and I suspect Viking would be a bit of a higher level. Ken 

• Like 1