Pre-Cruise DIY Land Tour - open to suggestions

mathed101

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

I would use the shuttles. Same road, same views, much cheaper: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Thanks so much! I have visited the nps site but only did a cursory look so this link really helped figure some things out. We will drive to the Denali Bus Depot from Fairbanks the morning of the 8th. I am checking into the reservation system now. Do you have any words of wisdom, advice, or tips that you would like to share regarding the transit buses or time of day to visit or etc...? 

4 hours ago, mathed101 said:

How about that!! Small world up there in Fairbanks! Lol  We are booked there because we thought that it was as good of a chance as any to see the aurora there and it looks like a pretty nice place to stay. We are staying in The Spruce House which is the one that Kory built. Have you ever been out there? Does the cousin live on the property somewhere? What do you think about staying there?

I know the location as you pass the sign when driving up to Chena Hot Springs Resort.  But I have never been on the actual  property and my friend (Dave's cousin) certainly doesn't live on her aunt and uncle's property.   The blood relationship is through their respective mothers.  And Dave's stepmother was an acquaintance of my own mother.  My mother died 2017 and, if my memory is correct, Dave's stepmother is also now deceased.  If she isn't deceased she must be approaching the age of 100.  

While I have never been on the property the Taste of Alaska has a very good reputation, and you have chosen well.

While the actual city of Fairbanks is about 40,000 in population the general area is about 100,000.  For many (and I mean many) years the actual population count has been great source of consternation for our local borough officials (we have boroughs not counties) as every borough mayor and assembly member for at least the last thirty years is thoroughly convinced that the US Census significantly undercounts Fairbanks as so many folks don't receive mail at their physical address but instead at PO boxes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

I know the location as you pass the sign when driving up to Chena Hot Springs Resort.  But I have never been on the actual  property and my friend (Dave's cousin) certainly doesn't live on her aunt and uncle's property.   The blood relationship is through their respective mothers.  And Dave's stepmother was an acquaintance of my own mother.  My mother died 2017 and, if my memory is correct, Dave's stepmother is also now deceased.  If she isn't deceased she must be approaching the age of 100.  

While I have never been on the property the Taste of Alaska has a very good reputation, and you have chosen well.

While the actual city of Fairbanks is about 40,000 in population the general area is about 100,000.  For many (and I mean many) years the actual population count has been great source of consternation for our local borough officials (we have boroughs not counties) as every borough mayor and assembly member for at least the last thirty years is thoroughly convinced that the US Census significantly undercounts Fairbanks as so many folks don't receive mail at their physical address but instead at PO boxes.

Very interesting and again a small world up there even though the population is pretty good size. I am looking forward to going so far north! Thank you for your opinion on staying there too. It helps to know about these things from people that live and breath in the area that one is visiting!

Here's a revision based on input and further research!! Many thanks to those of you who have posted a response to me and to others that are seeking information. 😊

Please let me know if you have any comments or suggestions on this new version.

Day

Date

Plan

Saturday

9/2

Arrive ANC, Pickup Rental, Drive to Seward,

Stay in Seward

Sunday

9/3

Exit Glacier Hike, Scenic Places around Seward, Stay in Seward

Monday

9/4

Kenai Fjords w/Major Marine, Stay in Seward

Tuesday

9/5

Portage Lake, Byron Glacier Trail hike, Alaskan Wildlife Conservation Center, Stay in Palmer

Wednesday

9/6

Matanuska Glacier Tour, Stay in Palmer

Thursday

9/7

TBA Fairbanks Activities, Stay in Fairbanks

Friday

9/8

Drive to Denali/transit bus tour, Stay in Talkeetna

Saturday

9/9

Drive to Reindeer Farm, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine State Park, Return Rental, Stay in Anchorage

Sunday

9/10

Train to Whittier, Embark Noordam

Monday

9/11

Cruising Hubbard Glacier,

Hubbard Glacier Excursion from ship

Tuesday

9/12

Cruising Glacier Bay

Wednesday

9/13

Skagway, Self-guided Jeep Tour to Yukon

Thursday

9/14

Juneau, Whale Watching Tour,

Mendenhall Glacier

Friday

9/15

Ketchikan, TBA Activities

Saturday

9/16

Scenic Cruising Inside Passage

Sunday

9/17

Disembark Vancouver, BC, CA, Fly home

If you are not already sick of glaciers - you can add another glacier cruise on 9/10. 26 Glacier cruise in Whittier. You should be able to do this once arriving in Whittier and before the ship disembarks. Granted - you have a ton of glacier visits on your itinerary already - I am just one that likes glaciers and this fits easily into your day. 🙂 

https://phillipscruises.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZuIjo24_AIVnw2tBh2-gwHPEAAYASAAEgIEDvD_BwE 

I will let someone else comment on your drive times who is more informed (locals).

13 hours ago, Coral said:

If you are not already sick of glaciers - you can add another glacier cruise on 9/10. 26 Glacier cruise in Whittier. You should be able to do this once arriving in Whittier and before the ship disembarks. Granted - you have a ton of glacier visits on your itinerary already - I am just one that likes glaciers and this fits easily into your day. 🙂 

https://phillipscruises.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzZuIjo24_AIVnw2tBh2-gwHPEAAYASAAEgIEDvD_BwE 

I will let someone else comment on your drive times who is more informed (locals).

Thanks for link.🙂 I originally had the 26 glacier cruise and considered/liked to idea of moving it to the cruise embarkation day but then I saw the Hubbard Glacier Excursion! We have a credit from HAL to use so I booked that one. I was still going to do the 26 glaciers but someone suggested the Kenai Fjords which adds a bunch of other stuff too. So I am thinking, as you pointed out that, we may be sick of glaciers before we even go on the ship! LOL Also, we want to do a whale watching tour in Juneau with Jayleen. We had such a great experience with her and the whales in 2019 that we want to do it again with our family! 

• Like 1

I am also planning a DIY land tour pre cruise with an emphasis on Denali. We are leaning toward Princess out of Whittier at this time. My question is - which motor coaches are the most reliable, from Fairbanks to Denali and from Anchorage to Whittier? Our plan is to fly into Fairbanks, stay overnight, then head to Denali the next day. The train leaves at 8:20 AM which may be too early for us, given flights arrive late at night. Is the train that great or is a bus ok for this route? We'd stay in Denali for 3 nights, then take the train to Anchorage, arriving in the evening. Stay overnight there, and then leave midday or so on a cruise transfer bus to Whittier.  Is it worth it to spend some time in Fairbanks before catching a bus to Denali?

2 hours ago, PKNC said:

I am also planning a DIY land tour pre cruise with an emphasis on Denali. We are leaning toward Princess out of Whittier at this time. My question is - which motor coaches are the most reliable, from Fairbanks to Denali and from Anchorage to Whittier? Our plan is to fly into Fairbanks, stay overnight, then head to Denali the next day. The train leaves at 8:20 AM which may be too early for us, given flights arrive late at night. Is the train that great or is a bus ok for this route? We'd stay in Denali for 3 nights, then take the train to Anchorage, arriving in the evening. Stay overnight there, and then leave midday or so on a cruise transfer bus to Whittier.  Is it worth it to spend some time in Fairbanks before catching a bus to Denali?

Given the park road closure at MP 43 (roughly halfway into the park interior) how do you plan to spend your days in Denali?  Personally, I'd skip both Fairbanks and Denali and focus on the Kenai Peninsula, provided you're okay with renting a car.  Just my view of course.  

• Like 1

Well, you have a point, that would be more convenient. I did some more reading on Alaska.org, I wonder if it's worth it to make a stop at Talkeetna. I still like the idea of either Fairbanks --> Denali --> Anchorage although Anchorage --> Denali --> Anchorage is also an option. I'd like to get into the interior more ahead of the cruise, on which I hope to see whales and eagles. I wonder if it'd be possible to see bears anywhere on an excursion or if that's a different trip. Flightseeing is not an option for us.

14 hours ago, PKNC said:

I wonder if it'd be possible to see bears anywhere on an excursion or if that's a different trip. 

Your best bet as a cruise excursion, without flying, would be to pick a cruise that stops at Haines in Southeast Alaska (not far from Skagway.)  For much of the summer one can see bears fishing for salmon alongside the Chilkoot River, a short drive from the town.   If you choose to stop in Haines, make sure your ship has enough time in port.  

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 10:04 AM, PKNC said:

At first I was centered around Denali,  as you are, since we had booked the Triple Denali tour giving us 3 days there. After some further research and review I decided that the 5 days on the itinerary spent on land with an emphasis on Denali, given the road closure,  was not the best use of our time or money.  There was so much more that we could be seeing and doing for less money!

It is still the plan to go up to Fairbanks and see Denali because I just want to get up and travel as far North as possible to see the beautiful area/aurora (🙏🏻), stay in a hand built log cabin on a homestead and just spend some time relaxing in the outdoors with my family. 

I am undecided as to what to do with the trip to/past Denali so we may or may not do the bus transit in the park. I need to do some more research!

We are very excited to do just about anything in Alaska and glaciers are going to be a big part of that as is wildlife. We want to have a good mix overall with land and water tours. 

This is all good info. Right now, I'm backing into things. I'm planning some overnights with mid morning departures so we don't feel rushed and can recover from jet lag ahead of the cruise. The last cruise we did was fun, but way too compressed for us - falling asleep at dinner, brutal getting up for early excursions kind of thing because we didn't allow time to adjust. Anyway, that's us. But, I am trying to maximize downtime after reading comments here. I have booked the Salmon Berry tour in Anchorage that will transfer us to Whittier for the Princess cruise I booked. We'll see the wildlife conservation center, etc before boarding the ship. I am now holding just 2 nights at Denali instead of 3, I can't do less due to the train departure times, if we want to do an AM park bus. I know Denali is not going to be at the grandeur that it could be but we're ok with it, I'd like to see some of the interior of Alaska before doing the Whittier - Vancouver cruise. Of course, I may still change these plans because hotel can be cancelled and I haven't booked flights yet!

• Like 1