Boarding process

twentyknots

Can someone please explain how Celebrity manages the boarding line at the terminal?  I've searched for an answer and all I can find is they enforce it.  I'd like to know the process by which they manage it.

I assume when we arrive at the terminal we go to the back of the line. We, along with many others have pre-selected our boarding time on the X App.  But there are sure to be a good number who either haven’t pre-selected or who have but came early.  All in one big line I imagine. How does Celebrity manage this fairly?

24 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

They have stanchions and ropes with the different boarding windows noted on signs. Get in the line for your boarding time.

Is it the honor system?  If you're in a line for 11:00 boading for example, how do they know that's where you belong?  Maybe you pre-selected, didnt like your time and got to the terminal at 10:00 in hopes of getting in so you got in the 11:00 line.  Or you didnt pre-select, have no idea what an App is, so you got in the earliest line you could when you arrived.

Edited by twentyknots

I think it depends on the port and the numbers.

Generally in Port Everglades -  Think PSA boarding and they have lanes set up like that.   They do allow passengers in the next group enter if there is a lull.

In San Pedero -  No lines and no enforcement but our cruise was only at about 60%

Southampton -  I didn't see any enforcement of times but then again I always travel in suites.

We boarded in Sydney (Australia, not USA or Canada) early in December and received an email a day or so before boarding informing us that boarding times would be strictly enforced.

A very smooth process, with various check points well separated and no feeling of being crowded throughout.

4 hours ago, twentyknots said:

Is it the honor system?  If you're in a line for 11:00 boading for example, how do they know that's where you belong?  Maybe you pre-selected, didnt like your time and got to the terminal at 10:00 in hopes of getting in so you got in the 11:00 line.  Or you didnt pre-select, have no idea what an App is, so you got in the earliest line you could when you arrived.

Isn't your check-in time, it's not boarding time, shown on your boarding pass?  A simple glance at your boarding pass shows them what your assigned check-in time is and that is how they woud manage it. 

• Like 1

We have never had a problem with strict boarding times either in FLL, Rome or South Hampton.  Perhaps if it gets very crowded they would enforce times more.  I do have 1 question: How many days before boarding can you check in?

1 hour ago, judla said:

We have never had a problem with strict boarding times either in FLL, Rome or South Hampton.  Perhaps if it gets very crowded they would enforce times more.  I do have 1 question: How many days before boarding can you check in?

Post COVID it has been at the 45 day mark for us.  Take at look at the Celebrity App for your cruise and it will show your check in date.