Picture-A-Week 2023 - Week 02

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, January 9 and Sunday, January 15.

The shine on the shiny new year won't last forever. Grab your camera and share what you thinks makes this year shine.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Here below is a cute fox yesterday that we saw twice out our family room patio door. Was moving fast, but I managed to catch this visual with my iPhone.  Not best quality pix, but I had to move fast and my better Nikon SLR was not handy. The fox seemed good, healthy, moving well. Nice and sunny yesterday and today.  But, cold.   Fun!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

image.thumb.jpeg.d9be7e48e579ecf2680c78ca93ec7d85.jpeg

• Like 7

An outing to a nearby park on a warm (48 degree) winter day, to try out my new camera (OM System OM5) and get some pictures for my LR class.

Anyone else see the Monkey Face?

Monkey face.jpg

Red & Orange.jpg

Stick on Ice.jpg

These blossoms will have a rude surprise tomorrow as the temperature drops!

Winter blossom.jpg

Winter blossoms.jpg

Edited by pengu1n
  • Like 6

It's the second week of 2023 and the busy holiday season has finally ended with Christmas put away. Week two was very rainy and cabin fever or something made Kim rearrange the living room and we suddenly needed a table between the recliners. A moment on Amazon to order the hairpin legs and quick trip to Lowe’s for a nice 2”x8”x8’ variegated redwood board provided the raw materials. Saturday morning found me transforming the board into a slab with tablet slots and sanding it after the glue dried. Sunday was spent adding the tablet pockets, several coats of lacquer (with some XBox time in between coats) and mounting the legs. By late afternoon the garage had birthed a new piece of furniture. The 2023 DIY season has begun.

Two-Day Table

758041040_2023-02Two-DayTable.thumb.jpg.465381aa84d0391a52fb610912277eaa.jpg

Dave

Edited by pierces
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, boeckli said:

RX037217.thumb.JPG.da57b4eaee49acc53a0123ca69ede20e.JPG

Did you spot this looker at Tauranga or, you know, just in the garden/park as one does in Aussie?

Not sure they were keen on being paparazzi'd while out sunning.... 😂

Great shot!

8 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Did you spot this looker at Tauranga or, you know, just in the garden/park as one does in Aussie?

Not sure they were keen on being paparazzi'd while out sunning.... 😂

Great shot!

Thanks!  Seen on my afternoon walk around the neighbourhood, quite common.

What made you think Tauranga?

On 1/15/2023 at 1:19 PM, TLCOhio said:

Here below is a cute fox yesterday that we saw twice out our family room patio door. Was moving fast, but I managed to catch this visual with my iPhone.  Not best quality pix, but I had to move fast and my better Nikon SLR was not handy. The fox seemed good, healthy, moving well. Nice and sunny yesterday and today.  But, cold.   Fun!!

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

image.thumb.jpeg.d9be7e48e579ecf2680c78ca93ec7d85.jpeg

It's not easy to spot foxes, and this life-long city dweller never saw one until a few years ago, driving in what to me is a country area (most people call it suburbs) and a fox ran across the road in the daytime.

I was so excited! Same when I saw a skunk in the park. 

I know folks are laughing, but when you spend all your life in a place with no critters running around except squirrels, and the occasional squished raccoon or possum, spotting these creatures not inside a zoo is something. 

Thanks Terry and to everyone sharing their incredible images from home or away. Glad to see new equipment and smartphones alike getting worked out, and sharing the results here.

Helps so much for everyone prepping their camera kits for upcoming cruises or land journeys, to see actual images from various cameras/lenses or phones, talk technique, tips, etc. to preserve travel experiences and memories, and keep those stories & feelings with long after the actual experience.

🙂 

Colleen

3 minutes ago, boeckli said:

What made you think Tauranga?

Not entirely sure, tbh!! Your bio says Sydney and that's one of the most incredible zoos I've ever visited.

But so were the Blue Mountains, where one is just walking among free roaming, unique, and dazzling creatures. Unforgettable and spectacular. 

Also, coming from one of the biggest, densest cities in the world, my mind just defaults to zoo, sad to say. The Bronx Zoo has a great reptile house, but the residents of that building don't otherwise have local addresses. 😂

10 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Not entirely sure, tbh!! Your bio says Sydney and that's one of the most incredible zoos I've ever visited.

But so were the Blue Mountains, where one is just walking among free roaming, unique, and dazzling creatures. Unforgettable and spectacular. 

Also, coming from one of the biggest, densest cities in the world, my mind just defaults to zoo, sad to say. The Bronx Zoo has a great reptile house, but the residents of that building don't otherwise have local addresses. 😂

Oh I get it - you meant Taronga (Sydney's zoo). Tauranga on the other hand is a port on New Zealand's North Island .

• Thanks 1

If you want a challenge as a photographer, try shooting swallows in flight when they're hunting bugs!  These little missiles buzz around at high speed, constantly banking and turning, in pursuit of tiny little bugs, especially over the water.  They really come out in force on cold days here in Florida - the water tends to be warmer than the air, and this attracts the bugs who try to stay close to the water...that draws the swallows in to feast!  Also had plenty of other birds to shoot Saturday - so here are a few:

Tree swallows in flight:

original.jpg

here, you can just see the small white blur of the bug that this tree swallow is about to...well, swallow!:
original.jpg

A lovely least bittern, getting some sun on a cold Florida day (about 52 degrees in the afternoon):

original.jpg

This was being widely claimed to be a Caspian tern - a more rare large tern for out area - but to me, that tufted black crown looks more typical for a royal tern:

original.jpg

The lovely roseate spoonbill - standing just 10 feet from me, trying to blend in with a few dozen white ibis all around.  It was like a very poorly made 'Where's Waldo' game - if all the people in the crowd were dressed in all white:

original.jpg

Great blue heron arriving back to the nest, where the mate is waiting:

original.jpg

A pair of ibis, practicing their synchronized flying:

original.jpg

A red-shouldered hawk making its sunset flyover:

original.jpg

• Like 8

On 1/16/2023 at 4:05 PM, boeckli said:

Oh I get it - you meant Taronga (Sydney's zoo). Tauranga on the other hand is a port on New Zealand's North Island .

Silly me. You know what? My friend's daughter lived in Tauranga after they first got married, so I was sending holiday cards to Tauranga before they moved back to Christchurch. It's stuck on my brain.😂

And I visited Taronga while in Sydney. Amazing place, but wandering in the Blue Mountains was something altogether different, at least for this concrete city dweller. 

Sorry I got my southern hemisphere reference points all mixed up. There's truly no place like it on earth it is/was unforgettable. I feel lucky to have visited for a good long stretch. What a dream it would be to get back. Who knows?

• Like 1