Can Grandma take my 6yr old on an Excursion w/o me?

nigelcorn

This will be our first time taking the kids (16f, 13m, 10m, 6f) with us on a cruise, our first time with Carnival, and our first time to the Mexican Riviera. The three big kids and my husband and I signed up for an awesome zip line excursion in PV and we planned on leaving the 6yr old on the ship with Grandma and Grandpa. But of course, Grandma and Grandpa would rather spoil our daughter than sit around so they want to take her on a separate, shorter excursion while we're gone. Does Carnival have any problems with that? Do we need to do anything special to be sure they don't hit any snags?

Thanks for your help! We're getting so excited!!

1 hour ago, nigelcorn said:

This will be our first time taking the kids (16f, 13m, 10m, 6f) with us on a cruise, our first time with Carnival, and our first time to the Mexican Riviera. The three big kids and my husband and I signed up for an awesome zip line excursion in PV and we planned on leaving the 6yr old on the ship with Grandma and Grandpa. But of course, Grandma and Grandpa would rather spoil our daughter than sit around so they want to take her on a separate, shorter excursion while we're gone. Does Carnival have any problems with that? Do we need to do anything special to be sure they don't hit any snags?

Shouldn't be any issues

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nigelcorn said:

They won't even check

There should not be a problem----but to play it safe you might want the parents to sign a consent form (with child trafficking these days the Mexican authorities could detain you-----why chance it), also if (God forbid) the child is hurt a doctor might not treat him/her. Here is a paper I have my children sign when we take our grandchildren on a cruise----on three cruises NO ONE has ever asked to see it, but it's reassuring to have it! You don't need the notary---but we go all the way. Enjoy your cruise.

permission.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agree that a signed form would be good to carry even you're off the ship. As a additional layer, I would make sure your parents are listed as authorized persons to drop off and pick up your children who are enrolled in Camp Ocean. The would show that they have your permission for that venue, as well.

• Thanks 1

She will need to get off the ship with her parents, if she is assigned to their cabin. When I sail with my family, my granddaughter stays in my cabin with me (officially assigned there). I have to be the one to get off the boat with her, they need to scan my S&S Card as the authorized person along with her card even though her parents are also on the ship (and getting off the boat with us). 

We get back on together so I don't know if I have to be the one to be with her to get scanned back on but they were very insistent when we got off at ports.

2 hours ago, shortyjoesmith said:

She will need to get off the ship with her parents, if she is assigned to their cabin. When I sail with my family, my granddaughter stays in my cabin with me (officially assigned there). I have to be the one to get off the boat with her, they need to scan my S&S Card as the authorized person along with her card even though her parents are also on the ship (and getting off the boat with us). 

We get back on together so I don't know if I have to be the one to be with her to get scanned back on but they were very insistent when we got off at ports.

But what if the grandparents want to stay on the ship and the parents want to take their child off of the ship?

@mjkacmom If the child is assigned to the parents' room, I don't think that would be an issue. Since my grandchild was assigned to my stateroom, I believe I would have had to get off of the boat with her so she could go on an excursion that included her parents. If she and I got off together, her parents could have stayed on the boat with no issue.

53 minutes ago, shortyjoesmith said:

@mjkacmom If the child is assigned to the parents' room, I don't think that would be an issue. Since my grandchild was assigned to my stateroom, I believe I would have had to get off of the boat with her so she could go on an excursion that included her parents. If she and I got off together, her parents could have stayed on the boat with no issue.

I’m basing this on NCL, but we have 5 children, so we had 2 cabins with 1 of us booked in each. One parent could take all 5 off of the ship even though some of the children were booked in my cabin.

I took my 12 yo GD on a cruise this past summer, just her and I, different last names, and they really checked when we got off and on that I was there. We made sure that I always went thru first as they questioned her each time. (She always wanted to go first) It might be an issue if they try to take the 6 yo off, you might need to do so at GS.