Very confused by wi-fi packages

cruisegal415

We are sailing this Saturday.  Our price included basic wi fi, which, according to the website today, is worth $16.99 per guest, per day.  We have a 5 day cruise, so by my calculations, that comes to 84.95 for one guest for one device for the 5 day cruise. When I looked at my invoice, it said we got a credit of $100 per person, total, for wii fi. Which sounds like we come out ahead, since we got $100 credit for something that only costs $84.95, right? 

Premium wi-fi is showing it costs 29.99 per guest per day, so for a 5 day cruise, that would be $149.95 per guest for one device for the five day cruise.  The difference between the price of the basic versus premium is $65, or $13 per guest per day difference,

HOWEVER, they are also offering a "Premium Wi-Fi Upgrade Voucher" "from $15 per device per day.  I guess that means it could be more than $15 per device per day? But why would I purchase a "Premium Wi-Fi Upgrade Voucher" for $15 per device per day, when it would only cost $14 per device per day to upgrade my plan without the voucher?

Also, the description of the difference between the plans implies that we cannot access social media if we only get the basic plan.  However, I have been on other ships where we only got the basic and we were able to access Facebook, Instagram, etc. by going through their URLs versus the app.  

I guess the question is, if we are going to check email, maybe post to Facebook, on a 5 day cruise, where two of the days we will be in ports where it won't cost extra to access the internet (Key West and Mexico, is it worth it to upgrade (we would use our OBC) and why would I get the voucher that costs $2 more than to just upgrade it directly?

Please, no comments about how we are on vacation and should leave the electronics behind, etc.  My vacation, how I choose to spend it, if on email or Facebook is my choice.  Thanks!

It sounds like you booked a AI rate ( Classic  everage, daily gratuity and basic wi-fi).  I believe the on board price for Basic wi-fi is $20.  When you book a AI rate their computer adds in the cost of each of the 3 items and then credits them out.  So 5 days of internet at the on-board price would be $100 and the credit offsets that charge. 

I had basic wi-fi and it was ok for email and checking FB. I was not able to access IG. 

Voucher makes no sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegal415 said:

We are sailing this Saturday.  Our price included basic wi fi, which, according to the website today, is worth $16.99 per guest, per day.  We have a 5 day cruise, so by my calculations, that comes to 84.95 for one guest for one device for the 5 day cruise. When I looked at my invoice, it said we got a credit of $100 per person, total, for wii fi. Which sounds like we come out ahead, since we got $100 credit for something that only costs $84.95, right? 

Premium wi-fi is showing it costs 29.99 per guest per day, so for a 5 day cruise, that would be $149.95 per guest for one device for the five day cruise.  The difference between the price of the basic versus premium is $65, or $13 per guest per day difference,

HOWEVER, they are also offering a "Premium Wi-Fi Upgrade Voucher" "from $15 per device per day.  I guess that means it could be more than $15 per device per day? But why would I purchase a "Premium Wi-Fi Upgrade Voucher" for $15 per device per day, when it would only cost $14 per device per day to upgrade my plan without the voucher?

Also, the description of the difference between the plans implies that we cannot access social media if we only get the basic plan.  However, I have been on other ships where we only got the basic and we were able to access Facebook, Instagram, etc. by going through their URLs versus the app.  

I guess the question is, if we are going to check email, maybe post to Facebook, on a 5 day cruise, where two of the days we will be in ports where it won't cost extra to access the internet (Key West and Mexico, is it worth it to upgrade (we would use our OBC) and why would I get the voucher that costs $2 more than to just upgrade it directly?

Please, no comments about how we are on vacation and should leave the electronics behind, etc.  My vacation, how I choose to spend it, if on email or Facebook is my choice.  Thanks!

Don't waste your $$

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruisegal415 said:

Wow a thread were everyone agrees - don't waste your money on the upgrade. Basic works for simple emails nothing complicated and it usually don't even allow you to post on Cruise Critic.

• Haha 1

Basic wifi is pretty awful though.  It’s not just about posting, which is not a priority.  You can’t download newspapers or most anything else if you want to look up something about the places you’re visiting. I miss that.  
We upgraded for the final 2 sea days with our Captains Club discount (35%) but had OBC to spend & a Zoom meeting scheduled. The premium is significantly better, but honestly, they should be ashamed to charge as much as they do for the Basic Wifi. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cruisegal415 said:

Thanks for all the input.  I think we'll stick with the basic.  We also have that plan from AT&T where for $10 per day you can use cellular data (it's an extra $5 for the second person) so if we need to use that we will. 

You do realize the AT&T plan is only when in port.

• Thanks 1