Coral Sea Marina, Port of Airlie, Shute Harbour - WHICH?????!

This season Carnival, Royal and Princess have included Airlie Beach as one of their main stops in FNQ. Trying to find where each ship actually drops anchor, and then tenders, is giving me gray(er) hair. Those of you intrepid cruisers who have actually experienced the tender process this season, please tell me where they come in. I particularly require Quantum info.  Cheers.

40 minutes ago, beatleman said:

Port of Airlie is the normal tender port for Royal ships.

That's apparently changed. I'm being told Quantum tenders into Shute Harbour. Hence my appeal to C.C members for current accurate info.

5 hours ago, willsaway said:

That's apparently changed. I'm being told Quantum tenders into Shute Harbour. Hence my appeal to C.C members for current accurate info.

Sorry didn't realize that the new terminal at Shute was being used by RCL and Celebrity. Hope they supply some transport to Airlie.

15 hours ago, willsaway said:

I am dubious about tenders using Shute Harbour but I do not know for sure. The Port of Airlie has a fairly new cruise terminal and infrastructure not available at Shute Harbour. The latter is nothing but an embarkation area for cruises to the reef.

Edited by Aus Traveller

I would have said they were mad not to use the new facility at Airlie Beach, which handled an almost as large Majestic Princess well for us a few months ago.

But, looking at Quantum's tracker, she did indeed anchor off Shute Harbour on Sunday. It may be possible that they can actively tender with more boats or less speed restrictions at Shute Harbour.

1787626401_download(24).thumb.png.fa61bb3178f6a59fff31cf6b98e5793b.png

On 1/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, beatleman said:

Port of Airlie is the normal tender port for Royal ships.

I have my answer. My truly amazing t.a. has a response from Royal to the effect that they have changed tender ports this season, due to the refurbishment of Shute Harbour. What Carnival and Princess do may well involve tender porting into Coral Sea or Port of Airlie.

I have been following this thread and would also love to know. What did the TA discover? Its not clear from your last post other than they have changed. But changed to what/ where? Unfortunately I booked directly with Royal so have no wonderful

TA to help me! 

15 minutes ago, nenasmum said:

I have been following this thread and would also love to know. What did the TA discover? Its not clear from your last post other than they have changed. But changed to what/ where? Unfortunately I booked directly with Royal so have no wonderful

TA to help me! 

Apparently Royal is tendering from Schute Harbour this season. My travel agent, who is indeed a treasure, bemoans the fact that Royal don't seem to find it necessary to inform the agent network of these changes. A quick 10 minute walk from Coral Sea Marina is vastly different from a 15 minute bus shuttle from Schute Harbour.  Bit like Airlie being vastly different to Sydney and Eden!

Thanks for that. Will shuttle buses be available does anyone know?  We are travelling with my mother who is disabled and this is beginning to look too difficult. I planned on hiring a car for the day to get her around but the logistics might be too much. 

I know people on the thread have said there is a local bus but is that really doable? In my experience at least a quarter of the ship- in this case over 1000 people will intend to do the port on their own. This clearly is not compatible with a regular bus service. Hopefully RCL has made some provisions despite trying to force everyone onto the ship’s tours. I have been shocked at how Queensland ports have a have succumbed to the apparent monopoly of the Cruise lines. Everywhere else we have cruised to - the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, the Baltic, Asia and New Zealand have tours etc you can organise independently- not Queensland. 

26 minutes ago, nenasmum said:

I know people on the thread have said there is a local bus but is that really doable? In my experience at least a quarter of the ship- in this case over 1000 people will intend to do the port on their own. This clearly is not compatible with a regular bus service. Hopefully RCL has made some provisions despite trying to force everyone onto the ship’s tours. I have been shocked at how Queensland ports have a have succumbed to the apparent monopoly of the Cruise lines. Everywhere else we have cruised to - the Mediterranean, the Caribbean, the Baltic, Asia and New Zealand have tours etc you can organise independently- not Queensland. 

There will be shuttle buses, for a fee.