World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

Scheduled for an emergency EVAC from ship this afternoon, probably from medical emergency yesterday morning.  We are being diverted slightly to a close island airport for helicopter evac at 4:30pm.  Prayers that they have a safe evac to a proper medical facility.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JABTPS said:

Scheduled for an emergency EVAC from ship this afternoon, probably from medical emergency yesterday morning.  We are being diverted slightly to a close island airport for helicopter evac at 4:30pm.  Prayers that they have a safe evac to a proper medical facility.

Goodness.  I wonder what island is close?  You’re kind of in the middle of nothing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Crossing the Equator Ceremony

Our ship would be crossing both the Equator and the International Date Line at the same time – somewhat unusual.  It was explained we would again cross the date line a few times over the next week.  So, we would basically ignore that and deal with it in February.

But crossing the Equator – this was a big deal.  A line crossing ceremony has been held by sailors for hundreds of years.  All cruise pollywogs (passengers crossing the Equator for the first time) were invited to sign up for the ceremony that would convert them to honored shellbacks.  A few hundred did sign up; some would be selected for additional ceremonies.  That included lucky (?) us.

The night before the crossing we received a summons “demanding your attendance” to stand trial before King Neptune and his Queen.  Ominously the dress code was “swimsuits or any clothes you don’t mind getting dirty”.  Yikes!

We showed up at the appointed time and nervously waited for King Neptune, his Queen and the rest of his court as they made their way around the extremely crowded Lido Pool.  Crimes announced and judged included being “too sexy”, “vickery’ (??) and “drinking all of the ship’s gin”.  The Captain gave a speech and got the proceedings started.

I don’t want to ruin it for future pollywogs, so I will not divulge all.  However, every person accused was found GUILTY by both the court and the loudly chanting passengers.  Punishments included gallons of sticky marshmallow fluff, buckets of spaghetti, giant bowls of Jell-O and other assorted yucky but harmless substances all over one’s body!

I will say that it took quite some time in the shower that afternoon to finally feel clean again.

Cole, our Cruise Director, was also a pollywog.  He was forced to walk the plank into the swimming pool as highlighted in my last picture posted below.

A couple of hours after this hilarious ceremony we actually did cross the Equator accompanied by an announcement from the Captain and a long blast of the ship’s horn.  Welcome to the southern hemisphere!

1.thumb.jpg.3caff88977747282bc64d691761ebee0.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.a670fb5eeb9a2e748789e6db9808f0ac.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.3f6526b2ed0a256311e94ced26eaeb12.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.64e29deab0f84072420866981fc3699a.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.57714590084d3a3c5fe9eda46a966712.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.5fd3b4acf9583fd3ec4dacd1153bf41c.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.82064e263ed96d80308ccf5baed49966.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.9bae90fd057ce6a0253d79f9d41d1f82.jpg

Of all the silliness and corny traditions on a cruise ship….. this one actually looks really fun and would really enjoy playing along.

Maybe sometime in the future this pollywog will be honored to become a shellback😆😂🤣 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We will be on the Island Princess in June this year & I wondered if there are any dedicated USB plugs in the cabins. 

I know the Coral & the Grand have had these added.

Would also love to see a couple of MDR menu's if someone has the time to photo & post.

Many thanks

Dianne

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, We_like_to_cruise said:

The Panama Canal is a fascinating experience.  We really enjoyed it.  Check out the book / DVD recommendation at the end of my Panama Canal day posting.  👍  We got the PBS DVD from our local library.

Love the full transit of the Panama Canal and fortunate to have done it many times. While having done both I so prefer the Old Canal still love the history and marvel that it even got done in that era and more so that it still operates so smoothly. An experience never to be forgotten in my opinion. Enjoy your World Cruise and I will continue to dream that one day ..... I will follow in your footsteps if only I could stop my Birthday Clock !!!! Thank you for your excellent posts.

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2023 at 7:05 PM, Wanderers2 said:

We will be on the Island Princess in June this year & I wondered if there are any dedicated USB plugs in the cabins. 

Would also love to see a couple of MDR menu's if someone has the time to photo & post.

Many thanks

Dianne

No dedicated USB plugs in our inside cabin. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, shamrockace said:

No dedicated USB plugs in our inside cabin. 

Thank you very much for the info. I will have to bring a multi USB charger from home. 

A bit surprised at that.  I wonder why they didn't add them to the Island when they have done other ships. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

OP....I apologize if I missed it, but is the ship offering any World Cruise T-shirts?

Well, the claim that the shipment didnt arrive at LA port, so only have seen one style for women.  I see a few 2023WC caps, but they have none now in the store.  Must have been available in Fort Lauderdale and sold out.   2020WC had several types available, sadly none as of yet. 

• Thanks 2

I personally have not been impressed with this 2023WC cruise yet compared to 2020WC, which we expected an equal to or better.   Excuses for many things not available from Wines, Bourbons, Fresh squeeze juice now, out of mushrooms now, poor quality on some beef dishes, and no lobster in MDR since LA port.  One good item is entertainment has improved since Hawaii ports.  Sorry I'm complaining, but ya spend alot of money only to hear excuse after another from upper management.....   some examples of lower quality for Beef:  Striploin vs NY Strip steak;  Filet of sirloin steak;  We have had 1 beef Wellington, 1 filet of beef tenderloin, no prime rib but roast beef.   There have been plenty of shrimp/prawns and Sea Scallops.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, JABTPS said:

more, sorry of the duplicate:

IMG_1880.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

Thank you very much for the Menu's.  Interesting to see a one page menu including desserts.  Our cruise last November we were still given the dessert menu after the main course.

I don't always have dessert & usually decide after main course.

• Thanks 2

Lobster is in the menu tomorrow. I have allergies so I see it in advance. 

There are several shirts with the world cruise on them. One for women is an ugly (in my opinion) pink one. They also have a nice jacket in both white and one in blue that Are a bit expensive at about $165 each. They had one really nice long sleeve shirt but the bigger sizes sold out immediately. I would have bought one if I was faster.  They have hats and they gave us each a bag and water bottle and a backpack with world cruise on it. 

Edited by shamrockace
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, shamrockace said:

Lobster is in the menu tomorrow. I have allergies so I see it in advance. 

There are several shirts with the world cruise on them. One for women is an ugly (in my opinion) pink one. They also have a nice jacket in both white and one in blue that Are a bit expensive at about $165 each. They had one really nice long sleeve shirt but the bigger sizes sold out immediately. I would have bought one if I was faster.  They have hats and they gave us each a bag and water bottle and a backpack with world cruise on it. 

Pictures..?  Please of course

Cheers

• Thanks 2

On 1/30/2023 at 11:05 PM, Wanderers2 said:

Many thanks

Dianne

No USB ports in our balcony cabin.  So we brought along a wireless phone charge that also has USB ports for charging.  And a bunch of single USB chargers and cable.

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit

10 hours ago, Wanderers2 said:

Thank you very much for the Menu's.  Interesting to see a one page menu including desserts.  Our cruise last November we were still given the dessert menu after the main course.

I don't always have dessert & usually decide after main course.

Some of the menus do have the entire meal on one page.  More commonly, at least at our table, is a separate dessert menu presented after the main meal.

7 hours ago, Denali2003 said:

I noticed that the Caesar salad has changed and includes Kale.  That's sad.  I also noticed that the Alfredo is not available each day. 

I'm with you on both items - no Kale in my Caesar 😕 and totally miss the Alfredo - that was my "go-to" when all else fails.   It seems to be fleet wide - sad!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tyskie said:

I'm with you on both items - no Kale in my Caesar 😕 and totally miss the Alfredo - that was my "go-to" when all else fails.   It seems to be fleet wide - sad!

I’m currently on the Royal and the Fettuccine Alfredo is still on the menu every night so it’s not fleet wide…….yet. Also you can order the Caesar Salad and tell the waiter no kale. They will make it with just romaine if you ask.

• Like 5

South Pacific

Wikipedia cites dozens of versions of the color blue and its variations. 

I can only describe this water as “breathtaking blue.”

Photos taken while walking this morning - no filters or retouching.

1.thumb.jpg.f6a8c1466bed1389eb620e32eda6986b.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.e3441823885f98072de3aeec2134e5c2.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
edit
  • Like 16

Papeete, Tahiti

We are greeted with traditional music and flowers as we disembark in the capital of French Polynesia. We walk from the ship through the port to the ferry.  There is regular ferry service from Papeete, Tahiti to Moorea, French Polynesia, and in fact some residents use it for their daily commute.  We will be spending the day in Moorea exploring the island via e-bikes.

While crossing a large parking lot, the skies open up and we are engulfed in a drenching downpour.

“Did you bring the umbrella?”

“No, I thought you did!”

Accusatory glances disappear as quickly as the passing shower.  The warm sun rapidly dries us off. 

The ferry is $10 each way (senior rate!) and takes about 40 minutes.  It is a large modern vessel that carries passengers as well as vehicles and has seating indoors and outdoors, a snack bar and clean restrooms.  During the short journey I overhear some of the staff behind our seats chatting in French.  I listen intently and try to decipher their words as I attempt to recall some of my high school French.  Unfortunately no one asks “Where is the library” so I am left in the dark.

A block from the ferry dock we meet the vendor who adjusts our e-bikes, explains how to use them and provides us with a local map.  At home we bike often and in fact have purchased lightweight foldable bikes to expand our biking trips.  Unfortunately bicycles are “prohibited items” on Princess so they remained at home.

The e-bikes are much different.  Very heavy and certainly more complicated.  DW’s bike has four “assist” modes and mine has three.  These are not really motorized vehicles like a scooter.  They do “assist” as you pedal.  Please note the important words as you pedal.  It is much different riding in Moorea with its changes in elevation compared to Florida which is flat, flat, flat.  There is definitely work involved.

We rode off and spent the next 4-5 hours exploring.  Many stops for photos as each turn revealed more lovely views.  At the Sofitel we went down the entrance road, there was no one at a guardhouse there so we continued on.  As we stopped to take a couple of pictures of the tiki- hut rooms directly on the water we got chased off by security.  Sorry!

Our route was all along the northern edge of the island as recommended.  The majority of the road is paved with well-marked bike lanes.  Drivers were respectful of our presence and we never felt concerned.  We traveled from the ferry dock at Vaiare past the airport and Temae beach.  We stopped at the Maharepa shopping center for a break and visited some of the pearl shops.  Continuing onward we rounded Cooks Bay, Paopao and then Opunohu Bay. 

A side trip was made to the Rotui Juice Factory, a disappointment.  The provided factory tour is self-guided and the high point was watching filled juice cartons move down a conveyor belt. An adjacent building offered samples of their numerous juices.  The disinterested server answered his cell phone in the middle of assisting us and then walked away.  Oh, and their public bathrooms were disgusting.

Continuing onward we pass the Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort and Spa.  Not wanting to make the same mistake, we take our pictures from the road.  The sun is warm and our legs are tired, so lunch at Plage Ta’Ahiamuna, one of the local beaches, was a welcome respite.

Rested and sated we ambitiously ride the e-bikes up the road to Belvedere Lookout.  This offers a spectacular view of both Cooks and Opunohu Bay. Up, up, up we travel.  After interminable pedaling we discover we are only at the Agricultural School, about half-way to our destination.  Noooo!  Pooped, we accept defeat and head back down.  It is a long tiring ride back to the ferry dock.  According to DW’s app we have traveled over 25 miles on the bikes.  No wonder we are knackered.

Note to self:  rent a motor scooter the next time we tour Moorea!

After returning on the ferry, we spend some time shopping in the busy city of  Papeete.  There are many shops and restaurants adjacent to the ship.  Nothing excites us in town, certainly our tiredness is an influence. 

A hot shower and a hot dinner rejuvenate us.  Tomorrow is another day –

in Moorea.

1.thumb.jpg.fc69cee09b8b5d9bfb2e44450b7266dd.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.e312431c5decd09b7a0ca7fcf5d56e3f.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.931d61e2af8f9767ceae20695e437836.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.38edd142a775e3b8e02253ada8aecf52.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.66e6f394c8994a0f7182226620a380f5.jpg

6.thumb.jpg.efbe0140ba4bb5df5dc87831a1b4fbc9.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.7533105bd9398df9ec5cef160667534a.jpg

8.thumb.jpg.2767b8e7ee238b6339f71682ca9f04e7.jpg

9.thumb.jpg.4fe4eb0a8c281f9c12c30cb0506fd2e2.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.c73e0c68c6c72d7e5e4c6fa13502a30e.jpg