World Cruise 2023 - Occasionally Live from the Island Princess

We_like_to_cruise

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Another from We_like_to_cruise! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic!"

We_like_to_cruise was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Welcome to my occasional musings and reports from the Island Princess.  We are onboard for a total of 111 days (!) and have been having a blast the last few days.  It is only the first week of 16 so we are certainly in the honeymoon phase.  If you have read any of my previous postings (link below) you know that are are a couple in our 60s retired in the Tampa, Florida area.  We are a go-with-the-flow type (mostly) and glass-half-full (always).  OK enough with the metaphors.  But I promise to tell the good and the bad about our travels.  We have been on many cruises, but this is by far the longest.

The last few days have been filled up, so today I finally got a chance to sit down and compose my thoughts.  I will probably post in spurts after having the opportunity on sea days to write.  So, ports, although in the correct order, will not be posted each day. And, since CC makes it impossible to edit after the fact, I will copy and paste from a Word doc.

We booked this cruise – round trip from Fort Lauderdale - back in 2021.  Of course it was cancelled, twice, so we were super excited to finally board the ship this week. 

Could we spend almost four months on the Island Princess ???  Honestly we weren’t sure, so earlier this year booked a B2B that kept us on her for a month.  That was enough to convince us it was a go.  There have been ship wide changes even since that cruise six months ago; more about that later.

Although we had booked WC2023 quite a while ago, it was primarily in the last 12 months where we got serious about our planning and booking excursions.  We had a very very active Roll Call; I think there were 300+ contributors and well over 250 pages of information shared on this website.  Helpful hints on the visas we needed, private excursions, get-togethers, etc., were provided.  Members organized games, athletic events, pub crawls, slot pulls and more.  Wonderful group of people and I am grateful for their assistance.

Pre-cruise we had to make sure all of our bills were on auto-pay.  Had to file an extension for our taxes, notify our neighbors of our absence (our fantastic next door neighbor is retired law enforcement) and arrange for someone to come in and routinely check the house.  We had to make sure we had a sufficient amount of our maintenance meds.  Our auto insurer recommended we change our coverage at considerable cost savings since we would not be driving.  Almost every day we thought of another item for “the list”.  Yes, there is an enormous amount of preparation.

Our friends and family always asked the same question – how do you pack for four months at sea?  Early on we decided to bring a core group of clothing for about 14-16 days.  We would then plan on doing laundry on a sea day every few weeks at one of the convenient Laundromats, one on each floor.  A container of detergent pods, some dryer sheets and we were set.  We are nearly Elite, will become so during one of the segments, so that will take some of the pressure off. 

Our trial run of packing our clothes was quite frankly a disaster.  Way too much stuff! More like a month’s worth of clothes, not two weeks.   (Not pointing any fingers, but DW owns an awful lot of shoes!)  So, we took everything back out of the eBags and scaled down.  We realized to save space in the cabin all luggage must fit under the bed.  So instead of bringing four large suitcases, we brought two large ones and numerous smaller ones that could all fold up inside the large one.  That is where some of  the “freebie” duffels and bags DW got from her DSW shopping came in handy. 

Embarkation day was January 5 and on January 4 we had 14 bags packed.  The two largest bags held our clothes and formal wear.  The other bags held medication, vitamins, health and beauty aids, shoes, shoes, hiking boots, electronics, cameras, games, a box of 50 skinny hangars, etc., etc.  And etc.

Fortunately everything found a place in our cabin and now it is quite cozy.  We do not feel cramped at all and had no trouble storing all of our belongings.  We did leave some “stuff” in bags under the bed if it was not needed on a regular basis.  Everything fit under the bed as planned and all shelves and drawers were filled.

Here is a link to my last Live From -

WC2023.jpg

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
spacing
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The day before Embarkation Day

Driving from our home to the port takes about 4 hours.  On a shorter cruise we might just park our car there or off-site. Not for 111 days though!  We booked a rental car (thank you big box membership club) and picked it up at TPA the day before.  I am usually an Alamo guy, I like walking out to the rental car lot and picking my own car. 

This time we had to use Avis because they had a rental car return office very close to the port.  I was pleasantly surprised when upon pick up of my reserved “intermediate” car I was given a brand new Hyundai Santa Fe.  It only had 150 miles on the odometer !  It was their top of the line model with leather seats and all of the bells and whistles.  Avis also provided a QR code on my phone for exiting without stopping at the checkout booth.  It worked flawlessly.  Great job Avis !  Upon exiting the rental car area TPA provides a “GPS” pull off area so if you have a rental you can pull over to input your navigation info.  Smart !  I took a little time to adjust the seat, mirrors, familiarize myself with the control for lights, wipers, etc.  Then home in a lovely SUV.  And the cost for the one day rental was only $53.00. 

Uh oh, I forgot to take the Sun Pass, so had to take a couple of back roads to avoid tolls.  Rookie mistake !

spacing
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Embarkation Day

Of course everything easily fit into the large SUV some we packed the night before.

Up early we hit the road around 7 am.  It is a straight run down 75 South to Alligator Alley into Fort Lauderdale.  By late morning we dropped off our bags with the porters and hoped we would see them again in a few hours  Fingers crossed. 

We drove the couple of miles to return the rental, first stopping to fill it with gas.  Well, the $50 rental took $40 worth of gas.  Still not bad for transportation to the port for less than $100. After drop-off, we were immediately able to board the shuttle bus back to the port.  Easy peasy. Again, thank you Avis.

Embarkation was a breeze.  We were in Group One and walked right in.  A minor delay at the security screening due to yours truly.  There was some concern about my mini multi-tool.  After emptying my flagged carry on, dumping its contents on a table and discussion among three agents it was deemed acceptable.  Whew.  I brought a guitar with me and the day before one of its strings broke.  So, I figured with so much time on the ship it would be easier to change the strings on board than beforehand.  Hence the multi tool to help remove the old strings.  Yes, DW has her shoes and I have my guitar!

Interestingly, after security, at formal Princess check-in we only had to show we had a passport and verify that our mailed medallions worked correctly.  Our pre-cruise instructions from Princess advised we needed ETA’s (visas) from Australia, New Zealand, and Sri Lanka to board and we needed a pre-cruise COVID test which we took the day before.  None of that info was verified, not sure why.

We only had a few carry ons with us, so proceeded directly to the Provence Dining Room for our traditional sit down luncheon of salmon and salad and a cold drink.  Service and food was great and the portions were large.  We have never been disappointed with the salmon on Princess!

After lunch we headed up to our cabin, a deluxe balcony.  Nice size room with a nice large covered and uncovered balcony.  We were pleased.  We always book midship in both directions – vertically and horizontally.  Our luggage had not yet been delivered, so we put away what we had hand carried, watched the required safety video and checked in at our muster station, Sabatini’s.  While there we made three reservations for dinner and then walked over to the Bayou Steakhouse and made two more.  Our early booking bonus included five specialty dining credits so we made reservations for all of them scattered a few weeks apart on sea days.  We had zero problems getting a reservation and were surprised no one else was on line to make one.  Our times and dates were later confirmed on the Medallion app.

We had a drink by the pool and relaxed for sail away. 

Before dinner we stopped back at the room to dress.  Hmm.  No luggage.  Our wonderful cabin steward advised us it was “on the way” and not to worry. 

First night at dinner was honestly a disappointment.  The server seemed a bit scatterbrained and inexperienced.  The first course was served promptly and was good.  However, we then were waiting and waiting for our mains.  I could see our server in the distance peering into a screen with her head in her hands and a puzzled look on her face.  For quite a while it seemed.  Finally when the meal was served the food was not hot.  I asked her if it could please be re-heated and she made a face and left.   It was consequently delivered to me by the head waiter and the server never returned to our table.  At all.

We skipped dessert and decided to go back and hopefully unpack.  On the way out, I asked the maitre’d if it would be possible to please have the same table we had during the earlier B2B.  He agreed and said it would be our table for the remainder of the voyage.  Fortunately we also inherited a seasoned waiter and assistant waiter – more on that later.

(We do generally like sitting at a large table and meeting new people.  However, there is also a benefit to getting through dinner in a reasonable amount of time to make it to the shows. Hence our decision for a table for two.  We will meet others elsewhere.)

Back to the cabin – yay! Our luggage has arrived.  Unpacked and an after dinner drink in Crooners before calling it a night.  A long day – we promptly fell asleep in those wonderful Princess beds.

FL.jpg

spacing
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

At Sea

Our next couple of days were at sea.  DW participated in pickleball and Mah Jongg, we both did trivia and went to the shows.  We had pizza and beer for lunch out at the pool, wandered through the offerings in the Horizon Court buffet for breakfast and had our dinners in the MDR.

Our young CD, Cole was enthusiastic and inviting and we participated in some of the activities.

The medallion app onboard worked flawlessly for ordering food and drink no matter what your location – in your cabin, poolside, on deck.  We could also easily locate each other on the ship. .  We ordered on the cabin tv and by directly calling room service.  Our orders have all been filled correctly and pretty promptly – within 30 minutes.

The internet met expectations with reasonably fast speeds and no down time (yet).  DW even streamed a Netflix movie the other night.  Other than the initial dinner waiter, every single staff person we have interacted with has been friendly and courteous and professional.  You can see that the dining staff especially are working very hard, but they always greet you with a smile.

We are now at a specific table every night at a specific time.  It is very easy to just walk by the lines of people and directly there.  As mentioned earlier, both the waiter and assistant waiter are experienced and already know our drink choices and the little things that make us unique.

The ship is older, but I think it is classy and beautiful.  If you have read any of my previous postings, you know that we never take the elevator.  (Ok, maybe on embark / disembark day due to luggage).  But our location is great for heading upstairs to the buffet or downstairs to the public spaces.  The forced exercise makes me feel a little less guilty about some of those delicious desserts!

Our cabin is roomy enough, at least for the time being.  That opinion may change 100 days from now!  Shower is powerful with plenty of hot water.  The toilet works with no issues. Yes, the shower is tiny.  Room temps are a little warmer than I would like.  Not a problem at night, but during the day, even with the curtains closed it could be cooler.  I called maintenance this morning and they have been busy working in the ceiling for the last hour!  I asked them if they were building me a new air conditioner.  Lots of hammering and banging.  Will keep you informed on the results.

As far as excursions go, we have booked a number of “must-sees” with the ship.  Not a fan of the busload of people who have load and unload and wait for Mabel in the gift shop and stops for shopping.  But some ports were so important or such a distance away that we acquiesced.  We have also booked quite a few more private tours.  Details of all will be explained as the trip progresses.

spacing
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

Looking forward to following along! We just did a 38-day B2B on the NCL Jade from Athens to Dubai and then onto Cape Town. I see it's going to be awhile before you get to Dubai followed by going through the Suez Canal, but that section of the cruise for us was awesome, especially going to Petra and Valley of the Kings. BTW I would have thought Princess would have thrown in unlimited laundry if you booked a World Cruise. Have a great cruise!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1.thumb.jpg.e4f1bc95afd76eb54ffb1909a8a6bc48.jpgCartagena, Colombia

You need to be outside while heading into this port to view the modern city center with its skyscrapers.  Lovely and a bit unexpected!

We like to walk and typically walk a few miles every day at home.  According to our calculations, the distance from the cruise port to the Old City was a bit over two miles.  Certainly not unreasonable in our minds.  And, since we were leaving early in the morning, the weather was not much different than what we were used to in Florida – warm and humid but not yet oppressive.

After leaving the ship, we wanted to verify our directions with one of the local personnel outside.  His opinion was that it was not possible to walk and we should take a taxi.  OK, thank you.  We walked a bit further and  a different gentleman conferred with his colleagues.  Between some English and Spanish back and forth our route was confirmed.  Leaving the port we were inundated with cabbies offering to take us into the city.  The price quickly dropped from $20 to $10 as we demurred.  A couple even followed us down the street honking and yelling their prices out the window.

To get outside the port we had to walk through a beautiful aviary; we spent time there on our return but first briskly walked through to head to the Old City.

We did walk into the city and it was about 2 ½ miles through some interesting neighborhoods.  We never felt at all unsafe and stopped a few times to ask residents if we were on the right track.  All were helpful and friendly.  One used to live in Miami and reminisced about living in Florida.

We had pre-booked a Guru Walk tour meeting at 10 am by the clock tower in front of the Old City.  Our guide, Isaac met us and checked us in.  Guru Walks are led by local residents and you pay at the end what you wish. 

There were about 20 of us.  Interestingly, we were the oldest (by about a factor of three).  All the other participants were young people and different nationalities.  Example – we met participants from the UK, Netherlands, Brazil, US, and Colombia.  I would venture that almost all were in their twenties. 

Isaac had a chest mounted amplifier and a headset mic which worked well to explain the sites.  The tour lasted nearly three hours and included stops at:

• Santa Teresa Square

• San Pedro Claver Square

• Aduana's Place

• Cars Square

• Proclamation Square

• Cathedral

• Simon Bolivar Square

• Santo Domingo Square

• Mercy Square

Isaac was knowledgeable, spoke excellent English and was very proud of his city.  A great tour and well done.   Isaac even took our group into a park where we took pix of iguanas and a sloth climbing on a tree.  After the tour ended, he helped the two of us get a cab back to the ship - $5.  For both of us.  Thanks Isaac!

2.thumb.jpg.cd6bca122d18820f72d54b24f13a132a.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.8894d02fdc0ca61233bd763102949466.jpg

5.1.thumb.jpg.f3ae815a498242e8cc7eefb06528e185.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.baae928ec8b20f9c8f572c4997d3daee.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.24b0e9b585950ed4fd6f2749fbff842c.jpg

spacing
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Back at the port, we now unhurriedly walked through the beautiful aviary filled with hundreds (?) of parrots, flamingos, and peacocks.  Very lovely.  They also had a large air conditioned gift shop and restrooms.  Truly one of the nicest cruise ship terminals we have walked through

\7.thumb.jpg.635055240939757775f58f815faf68e2.jpg8.thumb.jpg.31d0df04013e3eff009429ca9109a1b6.jpg9.thumb.jpg.4107f7b45191ef29e3cf21064a07a95d.jpg6.thumb.jpg.9b021cbbac661312e24f2009ba2abd49.jpg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Aloha.  Thank you for taking the time to post.  As a previous poster wrote, this is a first I have seen for princess and much appreciated. We love cruising and have been blessed to have seen the world with various cruise lines and via air/land.  We divide our time between NY and Honolulu with cruising for us set to resume hopefully this summer.  Enough of us…keep posting and love the pictures! Smooth sailing. 

• Thanks 1

by "we like to cruise".........greetings from sarasota......great report and we are following along!

regarding your rental car and drop off.... we have a budget car rental one way to port everglades in April for a transatlantic.....since Avis and budget are as one, did you drop off the rental at :

Ft Lauderdale Cruiseport Shttl,EV3
2520 Miami Rd, 

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 US

if so ....it sounds like you had a good experience?   thanks in advance and safe travels!

21 hours ago, tml1230 said:

by "we like to cruise".........greetings from sarasota......great report and we are following along!

regarding your rental car and drop off.... we have a budget car rental one way to port everglades in April for a transatlantic.....since Avis and budget are as one, did you drop off the rental at :

Ft Lauderdale Cruiseport Shttl,EV3
2520 Miami Rd, 

FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 33316 US

if so ....it sounds like you had a good experience?   thanks in advance and safe travels!

Yes, that is indeed the location we used for the Avis drop-off.  There is a small office for final payment and the shuttle bus was waiting to take us the couple of miles back to the ship.  Very easy.  Good luck!

• Like 1

Good news with our AC.  As mentioned above, maintenance was here for well over an hour.  I heard lots of banging and hammering, lol.  When they were finished they knocked on the balcony door and said it was fixed.  Yes, it was.  Dramatic difference in temps, so we are happy.  Now the room is comfortable at a mid-range level on the thermostat compared to being warm with the thermostat at its coldest setting.

And-

Guest Services called an hour later to make sure all was working properly.

And-

Guest Services apologized and provided us some OBC for our inconvenience.

And-

An officer knocked on our door an hour after that to make sure the AC was ok.

Good job and followup by shipboard personnel!

• Like 24

26 minutes ago, We_like_to_cruise said:

Hm good question.  I will find out.  I do know we already have enough credits to become Elite mid-way.

They may not credit you until the very end of the cruise   We were blue for 76 days although it was 5 segments  It depends if you booked it as one cruise

• Thanks 1

Panama Canal

We had previously done a partial transit on the Coral Princess.  It went into Gatun Lake and then we disembarked to take an excursion ferry through the remaining locks out to the Pacific.  At the time of that voyage, we were working and it was a shorter 10 day round trip from Fort Lauderdale.

This would be our first cruise ship transit all the way from the Atlantic side to the Pacific side.

As before we would be passing through the original narrower locks since Island Princess is a Panamax vessel.

Most passengers were up early for the transit through the Panama Canal.  The Horizon Court was crowded very early and the choice aft tables were quickly filled up.  Many took their coffee outside to set up for pictures and videos.  We were given a schedule in advance- the pilot would join us at 07:15 and we would enter Gatun Locks at about 08:45.  The pilot would take control of the ship through all of the remaining locks and would leave the ship at 17:45.

The early-birds had choice outdoor viewing spots.  However, at least at our location, most gladly allowed people to squeeze in briefly to take a few pix.  The atmosphere was very friendly and exciting and the weather was lovely. 

An on-board guide narrated our passage through the canal with facts and anecdotes.

We stayed until the ship went through the initial locks and entered Gatun Lake and then wandered to other ship locations to take more pictures. Finally we spent the rest of the day on our balcony.  Lunch was ordered in and eaten outside.  We were warned the delivery would be slower than usual and it took nearly an hour.  I guess a lot of people had the same idea as we did.

What a fascinating day – traversing an engineering marvel of such grand magnitude.  Truly a humbling experience.

Prior to our initial voyage I read the de rigueur “The Path Between the Seas” by David McCullough.  As a refresher for this voyage we watched a PBS American Experience documentary titled “Panama Canal Gateway to the American Century” (2011). I can recommend both!

1.thumb.JPG.6c145075ab8337e36ae164beea5dc069.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.41268552d5f9febb9ff0bb38bd177e74.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.a588237e6a07d978d0dc15c3f5d4c603.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.8b0470ecde9e98724e19f651e35405ca.JPG

1244922474_PCimage.jpg.c1e35de679d638ce715b33edb018b0d2.jpg

spacing
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3