Best car rental place close to port?

petuniaflower

17 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

Anyone have a car rental place they recommend that is walking distance to the port?  Hesitant to put my cc # to book something for the day..

DW and I have gone on multi-week dive holidays to Bonaire and rented one of the ubiquitous small trucks for getting our equipment around. But we've also visited during cruises and found the most practical means of getting around without the dive equipments is renting one of the golf carts loved by cruise passengers. They are available close by the port, but rent early (in advance) as they go quickly. This is the company we've used: http://www.bonairecruisers.com

On 1/10/2023 at 8:56 PM, petuniaflower said:

Anyone have a car rental place they recommend that is walking distance to the port?  Hesitant to put my cc # to book something for the day..

A few years ago we rented a car from a major brand, off-site but they picked us up and dropped  us off.  Drove all over the island with no problems, stopped at several beaches and snorkelled.  Great day.

On 1/11/2023 at 3:19 PM, Fouremco said:

DW and I have gone on multi-week dive holidays to Bonaire and rented one of the ubiquitous small trucks for getting our equipment around. But we've also visited during cruises and found the most practical means of getting around without the dive equipments is renting one of the golf carts loved by cruise passengers. They are available close by the port, but rent early (in advance) as they go quickly. This is the company we've used: http://www.bonairecruisers.com

We loved this idea, but we are party of 5 and they said they had no bigger ones..and dont really want to rent 2 🙂

2 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

We loved this idea, but we are party of 5 and they said they had no bigger ones..and dont really want to rent 2 🙂

Understood. Too bad they don't have one like this:  

image.png.59536f2d8344941f1179618a20382740.png

Anyway, I hope you find something that fits your needs and that you get to enjoy Bonaire to the fullest.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I rented from Hertz, which has an office at the Divi resort, less than 10 min walking from the ship. Payed $65 (including tax and insurance with $500 deductible) for a compact, but got a bigger jeep like car. 

Car needs to be returned by 5 pm. Lady in the office was not the most customers friendly, but the experience was ok. No lines. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2023 at 2:59 PM, cruising_rocket_scientist said:

Also curious about rental cars. Is the only place to get them - and be able to do a one day rental - at the airport? Is there a company that will do a cruise port pickup?

Been looking for the same and having no luck. Best seems to be renting Hertz at Divi, but they close at 5 so you can return to the airport, which is open much later. But I'm trying to figure out if taxis are readily available to get you back to the ship after dropping off the car! 

AB Car Rental will only do a three-day rental, Caribe closes at 6 but said "we can look into later drop-off, if possible," and Prins is usually three days but said to contact them two weeks before cruising to ask about availability of a one-day. 

On 1/17/2023 at 9:22 PM, neptuno said:

A few years ago we rented a car from a major brand, off-site but they picked us up and dropped  us off.  Drove all over the island with no problems, stopped at several beaches and snorkelled.  Great day.

Which company was that?

We have used Caribe Rental car in the past.  We had to walk to the shop which was about 1/2-3/4 mile.  Did this in January 2020.  We have also used Avis as well.  There are always cabs at the airport if you have to drop off there.  Plus gas stations near there as well.  For a little inconvenience if you have to pick up there, it's well worth it to avoid the 30 mph vehicle.  We go much further and see and stay much longer than the loop the GCs go on.  But hey everyone is different.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2023 at 9:17 PM, J-B said:

I rented from Hertz, which has an office at the Divi resort, less than 10 min walking from the ship. Payed $65 (including tax and insurance with $500 deductible) for a compact, but got a bigger jeep like car. 

Car needs to be returned by 5 pm. Lady in the office was not the most customers friendly, but the experience was ok. No lines. 

We will be arriving there in 2 weeks and because we decided to cruise at the last minute, all golf carts seem to be rented out so we are renting from Hertz at Divi.  Google says it is 0.3 miles walking from the port so no more than 10 minutes.

Edited by cnice515

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...