Venice -- Without an Excursion

ajtraveler66

We are thinking that we can do Venice without an excursion.  To me, it appears that the highlights are St. Mark's Square and taking in a gondola ride.  

Some friends of ours took an excursion to a 'glass blowing' establishment.  They enjoyed it ... but it just doesn't sound that appealing to me.  I'd rather just take the city in with my own eyes...the canals, the architecture .... and then take time out to enjoy a nice restaurant (this would be our 'excursion expenditure' for the day).

What do you all think?  Is a guided tour of the city worth it?  Anything that you think we really should include in our day?  FYI... I don't think we'll be dealing with any time-crunch issues.

• Like 1

We know Venice quite well and will be back there for 3 days in October prior to a Viking cruise. St Marks Square and other popular places can get ridiculously crowded. I think the best way to appreciate Venice is to just walk around the back streets taking in the atmosphere. If you want to see St Marks and Rialto Bridge by all means walk through but I wouldn't linger.

Actually the visit to glass factory is a boat trip to Murano where there are several glass factories. You can go there by vaporetto and  then visit Burano island which is equally lovely. We enjoyed both.

We find to get good ideas about interesting places and restaurants we go into YouTube or YouTube TV and just put the location i.e.Venice into the search box - you will find many interesting videos from visitors.

Good luck.

• Like 2

With Venice on a cruise, you need to understand where your ship is.  Cruise ship docking has been moved away from the city, sometimes a LONG way away.  Getting from the dock to the city may be a challenge.

The area near the train station and bus stops is less attractive; you want to get well into the city.  If you have an interest in history, the Doge's Palace is worth planning a tour.  For the rest, wandering the city on your own would in my opinion be preferable to being with a tour group.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ajtraveler66 said:

I'd rather just take the city in with my own eyes...the canals, the architecture .... 

This !   I've been to Venice several times and never tire of the canals and architecture.  I always start with a water bus down the Grand Canal, then wander.  This past visit we stumbled on a lovely little glass blowing shop in a quiet backstreet area. And a wonderful bakery!

On my 1st visit I expected to take a gondola ride but once I got there I didn't feel the need, and still haven't.  I rode a traghetto at one point (they're like a simple Gondola and take people across the Canal when there is no bridge closeby )

Traghetto and Traghetti | Venice for Visitors (europeforvisitors.com)

I think Rick Steves has an audio guide that you can listen to as you travel the Grand Canal if you want to know more about the buildings you're seeing.

I've been to a few of those glass blowing demonstrations on various trips, it's all the same thing.  You get to watch them make a small horse (or something similar) and then the hard sell starts.  You can imagine how excited the glass blower is to be making the 30th or 40th little horse of the day.  Unless you are deeply into the art of glass blowing ...

6 hours ago, timbloom said:

We know Venice quite well and will be back there for 3 days in October prior to a Viking cruise. St Marks Square and other popular places can get ridiculously crowded. I think the best way to appreciate Venice is to just walk around the back streets taking in the atmosphere. If you want to see St Marks and Rialto Bridge by all means walk through but I wouldn't linger.

Actually the visit to glass factory is a boat trip to Murano where there are several glass factories. You can go there by vaporetto and  then visit Burano island which is equally lovely. We enjoyed both.

We find to get good ideas about interesting places and restaurants we go into YouTube or YouTube TV and just put the location i.e.Venice into the search box - you will find many interesting videos from visitors.

Good luck.

100% Agree.....   Once in Venice (I can't comment on getting there as we docked in the city), pick out 2 or 3 "destinations" (restaurants, museums, etc.)  then just walk and wander to find them.  If you don't get to them all no worries.  I would not concentrate on St. Mark or a Gondola ride.   Both are good if have time, but I wouldn't hang out at St. Marks long, too crowded...   if you are in Venice for only one afternoon, I would not go to Morano or Burano, it would take most of an afternoon..

Edited by CCJack

Regardless of what you hear, do not skip seeing St Mark's square.  You would be missing the heart of Venice.  If you are there overnight, also go walk around it in the evening. 

If you want to, you can get tickets to both St Mark's basilica and the Doge's palace on their websites.  

Again, search this board, read a good guide book like the Insight Guides, look at youtube videos, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, marazul said:

Regardless of what you hear, do not skip seeing St Mark's square.  You would be missing the heart of Venice.  If you are there overnight, also go walk around it in the evening. 

If you want to, you can get tickets to both St Mark's basilica and the Doge's palace on their websites.  

Again, search this board, read a good guide book like the Insight Guides, look at youtube videos, etc.

While we are not big fans of St Marks Square (it is just too darn crowded) we have really enjoyed walking over to that place in the evening after all the day-trippers are long gone.  Without the hoards (which seem to be unending from about 9-5), St Marks Square is actually a very attractive area.  But we always warn folks to avoid sitting down at any of the cafes/restaurants located on the square unless you want to spend over $10 for a cup of coffee :).  

Hank

23 hours ago, Hlitner said:

While we are not big fans of St Marks Square (it is just too darn crowded) we have really enjoyed walking over to that place in the evening after all the day-trippers are long gone.  Without the hoards (which seem to be unending from about 9-5), St Marks Square is actually a very attractive area.  But we always warn folks to avoid sitting down at any of the cafes/restaurants located on the square unless you want to spend over $10 for a cup of coffee :).  

Hank

Indeed.   We found Venice (and St. Marks) so much more enjoyable after 5 pm (as well as early morning.)   We successfully stayed away from the  $10 coffee at St. Marks square , but fell for the $30 ice cream sundae... The fact that I remember it 5 years later indicates it was probably $30 well spent !

9 minutes ago, CCJack said:

Indeed.   We found Venice (and St. Marks) so much more enjoyable after 5 pm (as well as early morning.)   We successfully stayed away from the  $10 coffee at St. Marks square , but fell for the $30 ice cream sundae... The fact that I remember it 5 years later indicates it was probably $30 well spent !

I think legions of travelers have fallen for the St Marks Square cafe cons.  I recall sitting down at one of those cafes (over 30 years ago) and just having a cappuccino and croissant.   I noted the cost of those two items which were not unreasonable, but as a much younger (and naive) traveler I did not reckon. on the "coperto" (cover charge" and another "entertainment" fee.   These days those charges are required to be disclosed (somewhere) but you might need a magnifying glass to find it listed on the bottom of a menu.  Foiks should certainly visit and enjoy St Marks Square, but we would suggest walking a few blocks and finding a cafe with reasonable charges.  Surprisingly, we have found fair prices at a few outdoor cafes located near St Marks Square right along the Giudecca Canal (which offers amazing views).  

DW and I have grown to like Venice, but that has happened as a result of spending significant time staying in the city and exploring many of the smaller streets/canals.  We also love to go out to Burano. which although still touristy, has a more residential feel.

Hank

• Like 1