Has anyone sailed on Celebrity Millennium recently?

jbinpa

1 hour ago, D. B. said:

We were on a B2B on Mille in February and my wife (a cell phone addict) said the star link based WiFi had some very good times and some weak periods.

Thank you.  Glad to see they have it.  Was on the last cruise we did, RCI Harmony of the Seas, and it worked really well for the most part.  There were a couple of times when the bandwidth/speed was very poor but it still worked 

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you.  Glad to see they have it.  Was on the last cruise we did, RCI Harmony of the Seas, and it worked really well for the most part.  There were a couple of times when the bandwidth/speed was very poor but it still worked 

For what it’s worth, I was on Anthem OTS in January with 4,000 people and Starlink and a full Millennium in February. I think it worked better on Anthem!

3 minutes ago, sbcs5390 said:

For what it’s worth, I was on Anthem OTS in January with 4,000 people and Starlink and a full Millennium in February. I think it worked better on Anthem!

I am not sure when StarLink was activated on Millennium.  I have also experienced that it worked better in some locations than others when I was on a ship with StarLink.  That was primarily because of the ship's onboard WiFi signal.  e.g. the signal was stronger in my stateroom than it was on our balcony and it worked better when I was inside.   I have also had an issue with quality when I moved about the ship.  I found that the hand off from one wireless access point to another did not always work seamlessly.  Logging out, disconnecting, re-connecting, and logging back in seemed to fix that when it happened. 

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am not sure when StarLink was activated on Millennium.  I have also experienced that it worked better in some locations than others when I was on a ship with StarLink.  That was primarily because of the ship's onboard WiFi signal.  e.g. the signal was stronger in my stateroom than it was on our balcony and it worked better when I was inside.   I have also had an issue with quality when I moved about the ship.  I found that the hand off from one wireless access point to another did not always work seamlessly.  Logging out, disconnecting, re-connecting, and logging back in seemed to fix that when it happened. 

It was at end of January. We were Feb 3. The logo was on the card and the login. Crew also remarked that their internet got worse with the switch. Maybe they still had growing pains to work out. 

• Thanks 2

On 3/4/2023 at 4:45 PM, DaKahuna said:

The techie guy on Mille last month Assured me that they Did have Starlink.

My experience with it on Eclipse last December in the South Pacific was about the same.

Probably a combination of ship position Vs. satellite position + number of people using it?

Well like the little girl who when she was Good she was Very Good.

50 minutes ago, D. B. said:

The techie guy on Mille last month Assured me that they Did have Starlink.

My experience with it on Eclipse last December in the South Pacific was about the same.

Probably a combination of ship position Vs. satellite position + number of people using it?

Well like the little girl who when she was Good she was Very Good.

Thanks.  I’ve seen coverage maps for StarLink and it’s really designed for populated area vs the open seas. 

96B93227-748A-47E6-9087-415994B5079E.thumb.jpeg.a81efbd5b9afc68d475990b345b34dd5.jpeg

Just got home Monday night following a month away... 4 days pre cruise in San Juan, then B2B2B on the Millie Feb 11, 18 and 25, then 2 days post cruise in San Juan. I can't recall all the questions asked here, but can assure you the Millie is in great shape and service was superb throughout our cruise.

Starlink is working quite well (we had the basic internet plan included in our fare), but Cruise critic was not accessible at all, weirdly.  It's true that there was no primerib, and lobster night showed a charge of $16 for a second tail, and the Le Petit Chef experience has been reduced to only one show now, whereas we had previously been able to choose from 3 different ones.  We chose to try the buffet one night for dinner so we could see what all the fuss was about, and found it to be perfectly adequate in it's offerings and quality of food - there was a carving station, pasta station, stirfry station, indian fare, along with the usual salads, meats and cheeses, pizza, desserts, breads, etc.  

We have cruised multiple times on the Millie (and her sister the Summit) both pre and post revolution, and think they've done a great job with her upkeep and style. You'd never know she's the oldest gal in the fleet!! 

But alas, we returned home to 5 foot drifts of snow and minus 20C temps, and perhaps that has me missing her more than I normally would... can't wait to sail on her again in the coming year 🙂

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Boarded today. Ship is lovely as always.  Though martinis in hand prior to noon could cloud my judgment. 😂

Don't you just hate it when that happens?  

I look forward to hearing more comments from you about your experience on Millennium.  We are really looking forward to boarding her in 27 days. 

• Like 2

I’m too lazy and not nearly dependable enough to do a “live from” thread so I’ll just post here occasionally this week. 

Briton and Eve are the Retreat concierges, Alex is the Luminae Maitre’D. Sura got me drunk at the Martini Bar, distracting me with all his juggling antics, but alas this is his last week. For the bourbon lovers the Martini bar had Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Woodford. 

Everything (so far) that I discussed with the shoreside concierge has been executed without flaw.

I will hunt for Zacapa rum for @DaKahuna as I hop from bar to bar throughout the week. If anyone has questions, ask, but note my comment earlier about my lack of dependability. 

Look for more random comments throughout the week. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I will hunt for Zacapa rum for @DaKahuna as I hop from bar to bar throughout the week. If anyone has questions, ask, but note my comment earlier about my lack of dependability. 

Greatfully appreciated.  Usually I have found it at the Retreat Lounge and the World Class Bar, which they do not have on Millie.  You might also find it at the Sunset Bar. 

As I said, I am really looking forward to your comments, live review or not. 

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

I’m too lazy and not nearly dependable enough to do a “live from” thread so I’ll just post here occasionally this week. 

Briton and Eve are the Retreat concierges, Alex is the Luminae Maitre’D. Sura got me drunk at the Martini Bar, distracting me with all his juggling antics, but alas this is his last week. For the bourbon lovers the Martini bar had Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark and Woodford. 

Everything (so far) that I discussed with the shoreside concierge has been executed without flaw.

If you tell them where you want the Zacapa, it will be there for you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

If you tell them where you want the Zacapa, it will be there for you!

Usually that is the case but last year on Silhouette there was no Zacapa anywhere onboard. 

I am hopeful that will not be the case next month on Millennium. 

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Usually that is the case but last year on Silhouette there was no Zacapa anywhere onboard. 

Wow! I am shocked! That used to be one of their standards. Hopefully, it was just that ship. 

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

The other thing you can do is mention it to your Butler and/or whoever contacts you before you get on board. 

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

John

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, but there was no Zacapa on the ship when we sailed March 11th. In fact, the only time I saw it was when I bought a bottle in St Maarten and brought it home with us.

Randy

We sailed the Millennium in December 2022 for their Xmas and NYE Holiday cruise. The ship was full to capacity.

Millennium is an end of the 20th Century generation design and activities driven cruise ship that are are disappearing in favor of bigger passenger loads, more family/child oriented with glitzy tech up-charge amenities and on-board experiences more akin to what you find in a mega Las Vegas property or massive all inclusive Caribbean resort.

On our cruise we heard complaints of MDR 1/2 hour to 45 minute long seating wait times.

Luminae seating was always available with no wait. Food and service there was excellent. Luminae has limited menu items, especially in regards to salads and soups. We supplemented our choices when we were gladly offered full MDR menu selections. Special order items made a day in advance were eagerly and professionally accommodated.

The Retreat Lounge is nice, somewhat formal, with a very attentive staff and bar tender. It truly is a 'retreat' from a big cruise ship. Unfortunately, the Retreat Canapes and late afternoon hors d'oevres were same every day and not much more than Oscar Myer like 'Lunchables' of cold cuts, basic cheese, crackers and sometimes a few grapes.

The ship handles big water as good as any cruise ship we've been on. The condition of the ship was spotless and pristine. The ship's crew were attentive, friendly and never far away if you want service. Entertainment every night was very good.

Millennium is a ship more akin to the way cruising was 1980's to the turn of the century. If that's what you enjoy, sail now because this kind of cruise experience is becoming an experience of the past.  

Edited by Kilroyshere
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, but there was no Zacapa on the ship when we sailed March 11th. In fact, the only time I saw it was when I bought a bottle in St Maarten and brought it home with us.

Randy,

Thank you, that is good to know.  I understand there have been and possibly contunue to be supply chain issues but it will be interesting to see what they offer in place of Zacapa if there is none on board.  

On my last cruise, Harmony of the Seas, Bacardi 8 was was prevalent so I focused a lot of mixed drinks, Rum Old Fashioned, instead of having it neat like I do with Zacapa. 

My local state managed liquor store usually has Zacapa so I am well stocked at home.  I also have two bottles of Kirk & Sweeney Reserva and Gran Reserva here that I am anxious to taste. 

Edited by DaKahuna

Currently on St Kitts at the Marriott. It’s windy, the surf’s up and there’s quite a bit if seaweed. Beautiful resort otherwise. 

We cruised around OVC last night around 9pm. I didn’t notice any closed stations. It seemed full service, though it was a late sail away. I’ll check again during the week. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Randy,

Thank you, that is good to know.  I understand there have been and possibly contunue to be supply chain issues but it will be interesting to see what they offer in place of Zacapa if there is none on board.  

On my last cruise, Harmony of the Seas, Bacardi 8 was was prevalent so I focused a lot of mixed drinks, Rum Old Fashioned, instead of having it neat like I do with Zacapa. 

My local state managed liquor store usually has Zacapa so I am well stocked at home.  I also have two bottles of Kirk & Sweeney Reserva and Gran Reserva here that I am anxious to taste. 

There are drinks on the menu call for Brugal Anejo so that one should be available. I didn’t pay attention to better sipping rum. Your best bet will be checking out what Cellar Masters has,  and ask the bartender in Retreat Lounge what they can get for you. Cellar masters does have some good (more expensive) scotch and cognac. 

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

Currently on St Kitts at the Marriott. It’s windy, the surf’s up and there’s quite a bit if seaweed. Beautiful resort otherwise. 

We cruised around OVC last night around 9pm. I didn’t notice any closed stations. It seemed full service, though it was a late sail away. I’ll check again during the week. 

I hope you enjoy St. Kitts. We really like that island. The last time we were in St. Kitts, pre COVID, we were guest of friends who live on the island.  They are members of a private club that sits on a hillside above and to the right of the Marriott (facing toward the ocean).  It was beautiful.  They tooks us all over the island and the hike up to the top of one of the hills, I believe there are excursion that do this, resulted in some breathtaking views.   St Kitts is one of our most favorite ports of call in the Caribbean.. 

2 hours ago, Moochi said:

There are drinks on the menu call for Brugal Anejo so that one should be available. I didn’t pay attention to better sipping rum. Your best bet will be checking out what Cellar Masters has,  and ask the bartender in Retreat Lounge what they can get for you. Cellar masters does have some good (more expensive) scotch and cognac. 

Moochi, 

Thank you.  A trip or two to Cellar Masters is certainly on our dance card.  I am not a scotch and cognac fan.  I find most scotches too peaty for my liking.  

I have never acquired a taste for congnac in anything other than an Alexander or a Sidecar.  I can see myself having a few of those in Cellar Masters or the Retreat Lounge. 

I had the Brugal Anejo on our Silhouette cruise it is not too bad. We even used it at the World Class Bar when I did the mixology 101 event to make our spicy rum old fashioneds.  Something tells me I may be drinking more of the Brugal Anejo on our cruise, maybe not the spicy ones as the bartender that made them for me has spoiled me completely.  Otherwise it may be a lot of Bacardi 8. 

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Moochi, 

Thank you.  A trip or two to Cellar Masters is certainly on our dance card.  I am not a scotch and cognac fan.  I find most scotches too peaty for my liking.  

I have never acquired a taste for congnac in anything other than an Alexander or a Sidecar.  I can see myself having a few of those in Cellar Masters or the Retreat Lounge. 

I had the Brugal Anejo on our Silhouette cruise it is not too bad. We even used it at the World Class Bar when I did the mixology 101 event to make our spicy rum old fashioneds.  Something tells me I may be drinking more of the Brugal Anejo on our cruise, maybe not the spicy ones as the bartender that made them for me has spoiled me completely.  Otherwise it may be a lot of Bacardi 8. 

John

When we were on Silhouette in March 2022, Zacapa was nowhere to be found. The bar servers at the Retreat Sundeck bar introduced me to Brugal 1888 as a sipping rum. What a pleasant surprise.

When the Shoreside Concierge called us before our March 11th sailing for stateroom preferences, I indicated Zacapa 23 or Brugal 1888 in our choice of alcohol for the room. Brugal 1888 was in the room when we arrived.

I’m not sure if the bottle came from ship inventory or if it was an onshore purchase prior to our arrival. 

Hopefully, it came from ship inventory and you may not need to call exclusively on Bacardi.

Randy

30 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

John

When we were on Silhouette in March 2022, Zacapa was nowhere to be found. The bar servers at the Retreat Sundeck bar introduced me to Brugal 1888 as a sipping rum. What a pleasant surprise.

When the Shoreside Concierge called us before our March 11th sailing for stateroom preferences, I indicated Zacapa 23 or Brugal 1888 in our choice of alcohol for the room. Brugal 1888 was in the room when we arrived.

I’m not sure if the bottle came from ship inventory or if it was an onshore purchase prior to our arrival. 

Hopefully, it came from ship inventory and you may not need to call exclusively on Bacardi.

Randy,

Thank you.  Unfortunately, we are in a Sky Suite so no in room alcohol for us 😞  Maybe one of these days a lottery ticket will pay off and I'll do a Royal Suite.  

I will try the Brugal 1888 neat this time around and let you know how it goes.  I have been spoiled by Ron Zacapa 23 and actually prefer it over the Zacapa XO.