Aqua GTY Confusion

We've never done a GTY cabin before....and didn't mean to get one now.  Just put a deposit down on the May 3 Alaska cruise and selected Aqua because we enjoy their dining room and the spa features.  I expected to be offered the chance on the website to choose a cabin but it assigned me to Aqua Class GTY automatically? A2. 

Now, its been a couple of years since we cruised (and we have Elite status)...so perhaps things have changed??

Is this standard practice now or did I miss some option?  We've always gone thru the website directly for convenience and to manage our arrangements our self

Thanks in Advance..

I suspect you missed the option to select a room, although that may have been at a higher price as well.  If you just made the reservation, go through the process again.  I suspect when you see the Aqua Category, and select it, it will show both Aqua and Aqua GTY.  If not, there nay not be any rooms available, and GTY is the best you can do. 

If you find there are, you can call and get them to change your booking to the room you select.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, omeinv said:

If you find there are, you can call and get them to change your booking to the room you select.

The point of guarantee is that you don’t choose your room. That’s the reason they are cheaper.

• Like 2

Yes, there didn't seem to be a place to select rooms within Aqua.  We chose the higher priced (A2) cabin, so that also added to my surprise that I wasn't selecting a cabin.

I went to ***** and tried to make a dummy reservation (same cruise) and it gave me the option to pick.  Go figure?

30 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I did a mock booking for a cruise recently and the only Aqua available was an Aqua Guarantee.  That may have been what you encountered, only GTY rooms being offered. 

That's not uncommon on some really heavily sold cruises.   I had one and was on hold for almost a year before I saw a room pop up in an S2 for a little more than I had paid so I upgraded and had an assigned room   On another occasion I had never been assigned a room but luckily won and upgrade to a S1 two days prior to the cruise.

• Like 1

I'm too OCD to leave it to chance... so we downgraded to a balcony and was able to pick a cabin from a selection the dude at Celebrity late one night offered.

Whatever happened to being able to pick and choose from all the cabins? Is this cruise so sold out that the choices (other than Aqua GTY) are few and far between?

Edited by GeorgiaRetiredCruisers

It’s been our experience that we could request a different guarantee (if available) if we weren’t happy with the location. There usually aren’t many options if you select a Guarantee. As someone else mentioned, that’s why they’re cheaper. 

58 minutes ago, GeorgiaRetiredCruisers said:

I'm too OCD to leave it to chance... so we downgraded to a balcony and was able to pick a cabin from a selection the dude at Celebrity late one night offered.

Whatever happened to being able to pick and choose from all the cabins? Is this cruise so sold out that the choices (other than Aqua GTY) are few and far between?

Just checked the May 3 cruise and there is only one A2 available and just guarantees for A1

• Like 1