Fred. newbies

markfull

We've done a few cruises over the years but are new to Fred. and have a couple of questions!

We have always opted for 'flexible' dining but this is not currently an option of Bolette. When we booked only the 8.30pm sitting was available and, depite feeling this is a little late for us, we preferred it to 6pm - far too early for us. My question is, are the theatre shows repeated later in the evening or is it a case of catching the show before dinner?

Also, does anyone have any experience of using a small drone (sub 250g) either from on the ship or on excursions? I have registered as an operator & pilot with the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority and have full public liability insurance, so should be OK from a Norwegian Authority point of view but wondered if anyone knows of Fred's stance on the issue?

TIA

31 minutes ago, markfull said:

We have always opted for 'flexible' dining but this is not currently an option of Bolette. When we booked only the 8.30pm sitting was available and, depite feeling this is a little late for us, we preferred it to 6pm - far too early for us. My question is, are the theatre shows repeated later in the evening or is it a case of catching the show before dinner?

FOCLs "original" fleet included ships that had been extended by cutting the ship in half fitting a new mid-ship section and then sticking it all back together again. The problem was that while the accommodation had been increased it was difficult to extend the public areas like the show lounges or the main restaurants.

FOCLs' answer was the "two populations." So one population would have first sitting and would move onto the entertainment lounges while the second population made their way to the main restaurants for dinner and, by the time that they moved onto the show lounges, the first siting would be all gone. So two dinner times and two shows... the idea was that everybody would be able to see the show... no booking required.

Other things were worked around this system. The pianist in the lounge would play before first sitting dinner and again before second sitting dinner and so on. So there would also be a Captan's cocktail reception for first sitting and then again for second sitting.

47 minutes ago, markfull said:

We've done a few cruises over the years but are new to Fred. and have a couple of questions!

Also, does anyone have any experience of using a small drone (sub 250g) either from on the ship or on excursions? I have registered as an operator & pilot with the Norwegian Civil Aviation Authority and have full public liability insurance, so should be OK from a Norwegian Authority point of view but wondered if anyone knows of Fred's stance on the issue?

Late show has always been at 10.30pm I think, the first will clash with second sitting dinner, but there are other entertainments as well.

I think you will need to speak to Fred regards drones.  You could ask to speak directly to the excursion section at head office for excursions.  We have been put through for other reasons, and they have been very helpful, often giving full port arrival and departure times for a specific port(s), though they can allways changed of course.

Edited by tring

1 hour ago, markfull said:

I wanted to use a tiny little drone with a camera attachment just before covid.

The answer from FOCLs was No! Not! Nooo! They explained that they would confiscate anything that transmitted radio signals and any type of drone or flying object. There was no guarantee that any item confiscated would be returned at the end of the cruise!

Perhaps have a search for Cruise FAQ for  "Fred Olsen Prohibited items" and you'd probably find that the situation is still the same today.

If FOCLs has recently chainged its mind... it would be good to know.

I suspect Fred’s position may be to do with a really annoying person on a cruise we did through the Keel canal. Their drone was nothing but a pest.

The drone was really instructive and invaded the privacy of our balcony and that of others. It buzzed around like an annoying bee morning, noon and night. It hovered looking into cabins.

Ours neighbours put in a formal complaint, next day it was gone.

• Like 3

We’re also new to Fred and have decided to try Bolette out - so exciting to try a new line and really looking forward to sailing soon!  Can anyone help with a question regarding embarkation lunch.  I had thought it was afternoon tea selection in the buffet from about 3pm on embarkation day, but don’t seem to be able to find out if this is correct - can anyone help?  

1 hour ago, LandC said:

It used to be that only afternoon tea was provided on embarkation day, but that has changed. When we were on board Bolette last summer lunch was available in The View buffet restaurant.

I confirm this has been our experience, but if you are later embarking, lunch may have finished.  They always seem to have more savoury items on for afternoon tea for embarkation day though - you will not starve.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Brynnedd said:

Hello, we're newbies and are going on the bolette in May. We have a 10 day cruise booked, does anyone know how many formal nights we'll have and which nights are they? Thanks

It's usually one per week + one more. You will probably have details from FOCLs in due course.

Have a good cruise,

19 hours ago, Brynnedd said:

Hello, we're newbies and are going on the bolette in May. We have a 10 day cruise booked, does anyone know how many formal nights we'll have and which nights are they? Thanks

Formal nights are usually held on sea days where the itinerary allows.   The evening meal on those nights is extra special. There will be details of the formal nights in your cabin when you board, but we prefer to know in advance so that bookings for speciality restaurants can be made before we board.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there someone who can post a daily cruise compass from a sailing? 

We are considering booking a British Isle cruise. FO routs are more of what we want....

We normally sail X. As you can see from my signature, we have tried different cruises and size. 

I have been on a ship visitt on Bolette, not scared off by the ship or cabins I visited. Was able to see a window, JS, terrace and port hole. 

We normally eat late 20.30 and on X the show is before dinner at 19.00 so it fits us very well. 

We are "finished" for the day after dinner. 

On 4/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, Norwaylady said:

We are considering booking a British Isle cruise. FO routs are more of what we want....

We normally sail X. As you can see from my signature, we have tried different cruises and size. 

I have been on a ship visitt on Bolette, not scared off by the ship or cabins I visited. Was able to see a window, JS, terrace and port hole. 

We normally eat late 20.30 and on X the show is before dinner at 19.00 so it fits us very well. 

I was mystified about what you meant by "cruise compass", so I googled the term to discover that is what RCL call their daily sheet - is that what you mean?  It is not a term that is used in the UK - Fred's term is, "The Daily Times".  I cannot post one on here - sorry.

If you searching for the general information you want here and on Fred's website though, then I am sure I, or others will be able to help if you have any specific questions, or perhaps someone may have a copy of a daily times they can post.  I have no Knowledge of Celebrity, so cannot compare but Fred does have a program of daily activities/entertainments like other cruise lines and usually has speakers during the day, usually about topics related to the itinerary.  Fred does the shows after dinner, so if you choose late sitting the show will commence at 10.30pm normally, though there will be musicians in the bars earlier.  If you choose early (6.15pm) dinner, the show will start about 8.30pm, so that will clash with second sitting.  Fred has been saying he intends to bring in a flexible dining option, though there has been no sign of that at present, so would I not hold up a lot of hope for it coming in any time soon, sadly, from our point of view.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 1

On 4/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, Norwaylady said:

God ettermiddag... (Good afternoon).

FOCLs seem increasingly keen for passengers to use an app rather than a paper daily news letter.

Day time activities often include; choir practice, ukulele band, craft classes, dance classes, carpet bowls, deck quoits, water colouring classes, bridge, lectures, skittles, pickleball, shuffleboard, darts, classical recitals We've been on board FOCLs when drama classes wine tastings and themed cabarets have also been offered. In addition there are often  "seminars" which are more intended to encourage cruisers to purchase spa treatments and jewellery.

Cruises also tend to have a Captain's welcome cocktail party and a Captain's Farewell party. A tea dance.... lots and lots of cake... and some dancing has been popular. A white gloved afternoon tea is often offered on some sea days. Cookery demonstrations are also now offered.

Originally, some of FOCLs older ships were extended by having an additional section added mid-ships and so that did tend to put a lot of pressure on some public spaces including the restaurants and show lounges. The response by FOCLs was to have two populations on the ship... Population No 1 went to dinner after 6.00 pm and then went on to the show... Population No 2 when to dinner at 8.30 pm and then went on to the second performance of the show. 

However there is a self service buffet as well and quite a number of people prefer that to the main dining rooms. So it would be more than possible to go into the first sitting show and then to eat in the self service restaurant or in one of the speciality restaurants.

There are some interesting reviews elsewhere on this site which may be useful.

Håper det er til hjelp... (Hope that helps).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, twotravellersLondon said:

However there is a self service buffet as well and quite a number of people prefer that to the main dining rooms. So it would be more than possible to go into the first sitting show and then to eat in the self service restaurant or in one of the speciality restaurants.

There are some interesting reviews elsewhere on this site which may be useful.

Håper det er til hjelp... (Hope that helps).

Not sure about being able to eat after the first show, which does finish until 9.15pm.  The self service has always closed at 9pm (until late night snacks time) and was still doing so last time we were on board.  Not sure about the last bookings for the speciality restaurants though.

I am sure the daily sheet is still delivered each night, as I have seen clips of it posted on social media, even very recently.  We have not come across an app being needed on Fred ships post covid, either.  However, we have not been on a Fred ship for a few months now, so perhaps you have a more up to date experience, in which case I stand corrected.  I had thought I had seen you mention fairly recently not having been onboard Fred since covid and that you were not planning to do so, again perhaps I am wrong about that.

Edited by tring
  • Like 2